Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 AM

78,553 posts, read 60,762,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We try to force them all to get a job, where they disrupt the workplace and impede productivity, but in the end, it pays off as we use guile to relieve them of their meager paycheck.
You don't need guile to make stupid people do stupid things. I'd rather have people spending money on lottery tix instead of sending it to a "Nigerian Dictator", buying penile enlarging pills from south american or having a lunch consisting of 5 McDouble cheeseburgers (5'2 and >300lbs).*

* All things I've actually seen\heard in the past year from people I know.

The irony is that everyone is stupid to some extent and some of it is personal utility (you never commented on my utility theory suggestion). I'm sure there are things I do that people go "what a moron, I'd never spend $2000 on a set of tires"...which is why I perfer to let people make their own decisions and live with the consequences.

You cannot have freedom without responsibility.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You don't need guile to make stupid people do stupid things.
But you need guile to get stupid people to give you their money before they give it to somebody else. Isn't that what capitalism is all about?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
But you need guile to get stupid people to give you their money before they give it to somebody else. Isn't that what capitalism is all about?
Nope. Stupid is relative and judgemental. Frankly, I'd rather do yard work than have free tickets to a nascar race. Doesn't make me right or the nascar fans wrong....just preference.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Nope. Stupid is relative and judgemental. Frankly, I'd rather do yard work than have free tickets to a nascar race. Doesn't make me right or the nascar fans wrong....just preference.
Yes, it's like "short". Relative and judgmental, but you know a short guy when you see one.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's like "short". Relative and judgmental, but you know a short guy when you see one.
I'd rather spend $20 on lottery tickets than on a nascar race or on a porcelin collectible figurine.

Other people may thoroughly enjoy those things.

What I'm hearing from you is that we as a society should *protect* people by not letting them spend money stupidly (as defined by who?).

....and there is the rub.

You can't fix stupid...and at some point "protections" become tyranny and oppression.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:

What I'm hearing from you is that we as a society should *protect* people by not letting them spend money stupidly (as defined by who?).

....and there is the rub.

You can't fix stupid...
Why do we have a so many posters with reading disabilities? Maybe the proceeds from Lotteries should go toward education.

Do you understand the difference between "letting them" and "using advertising to try to persuade them to"? How would you feel if the government encouraged people to drink, in order to get the alcohol tax revenues? Would that be the same as "letting" them drink?

I said I object to our government establishing lotteries and then advertising them to make them seem attractive, knowing perfectly well that they pay out less than they take in, and much of what they take in is from people who can least afford the expenditure, and are not clever enough to understand that they are being taken advantage of.

Do you not agree that half the people in the world are stupider than the other half, and people who control marketing know which ones they are? No, you can't fix stupid. But you can stop the government intentionally designing methods of using deception to try to take their money and give them less in return, in order to benefit the smart and rich.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-03-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
I don't have a problen with lottery drawings run by the state.

The vast majority of people know their chances are slim and to buy more than one ticket isn't really gonna change their odds.

What I object to is when states promote their instant scratch off games. When our state started the lottery, they also added a few $1 scratch off games. People would spend much more on those scratch off tickets.

Then the state got greedy ( IMHO) and started promoting $2 scratc hoff tickets, then $5, then $10.

Last week they had a huge picture on their website of a guy who won $500.000.
I presumed it was from the lottery.

Nope, it was from a $20 instant scratch off game.

As stated, I favor the lottery that has twice a week drawings cuz people don't blow their grocery money on it.

Those scratch off tickets is where people go overboard and those are the ones getting the most promoting by our state lottery commission.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:39 PM

491 posts, read 749,907 times
People can do with their money whatever they like.I am not gonna use it on a game unless I think the odds are good for me. I would like to see a lottery where instead of one big winner you have it split between two or three.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
People can do with their money whatever they like.I am not gonna use it on a game unless I think the odds are good for me. I would like to see a lottery where instead of one big winner you have it split between two or three.
How would you like if the government sent everyone a letter saying they owe $1000 more in taxes. Some people would pay it, and for you it's perfectly alright for the government to laugh at the suckers and just say people can do with their money whatever they like.

I'm all for a wide tolerance for gambling, as long as the government doesn't actively promote it with attractive advertising campaigns and then keep the profits from it.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM

746 posts, read 1,678,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I play twice a week - that's $ 8.00 a month.That's a lot less than what some people spend at strip clubs or in VEGAS. But It's fun, and that's what we all want in life, right? Fun and hope
Yeah but 8 bucks a month is $96/year. Times that by say 50 million americans buying tickets and it's $4,800,000,000. Even if they pay out half that it's still over $2billion for the gov't- where does it go?

They prey on fun and hope. And then they publish splashy pictures of the poor farmer/mechanic/warehouse worker, and everyone gets their heart strings pulled.
And it's always someone poor, marginally employed or unemployed. It's never an executive or a bank CEO or a anyone like that.
You see and hear the sob story and subconsciously think in the back of your head "that could be me!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.