Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM

112 posts, read 140,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why so shocked? Virginia is an open carry state and if you have a CCP (easy to get as VA is a "shall-issue" state) you can carry concealed - in or out of a vehicle. I carry.
It is shocking to me im sure is many millions shocked by it. Do you feel that is really dangerous you need to have a pistol in your truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
It is shocking to me im sure is many millions shocked by it. Do you feel that is really dangerous you need to have a pistol in your truck?
I don't expect to get a flat tire today but I still carry a spare.

Far better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it.

Obviously the courts think it's ok as two separate District Courts have told me so.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Quote:
That's like asking why anyone would have windshield wipers. It surely doesn't rain every day, but you will need them at some point. Having a firearm is the same thing. People that own firearms are some of the most disciplined and level headed people you will ever meet. They are prepared and are so silently. Aside from bubba with a gun rack and 12 NRA stickers, you'll never know who is or isn't carrying.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:18 PM

5,028 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Namely hispanic (in this case, puerto rican) young men?

I have noticed a trend lately, and it's a shame we feel like we are the minority here now. Young, puerto rican males in their sports cars, and road rage. Today we were stopped at a red light, that turned green, coming the opposite way was an ambulance, so we didn't go, as per the law. This jerk started honking and yelling at us, since we didn't go. Then he followed us, pulled up next to us, yelling and hollering and chased us, YES CHASED, down a main highway, as my wife was on the phone with police. I had my two daughters in the car, and the ONE TIME I forget to grab my pistol on the way out the door, this guy kept reaching in his back seat for something. SEVEN times my wife told the operator it was a silver-green convertible eclipse. The cop pulls in front of us, and pulls over a silver 4 door nissan altima, and the eclipse was in front of him, and gets away with this crap. WTF??

sorry for my rant, but i'm currently TICKED at not only this changing trend, but the lack of communication between the operator and the officer. As per the officer "some how the lines of communication got crossed" WELL NO CRAP, after I flashed my high beams at him 10 times to get him to pull out in front of us, he came out 4 cars back and had to get around everyone and then pull over the wrong guy.
You live in Florida? Get use to it-it's going to get a lot worse. Even if you'd brought your firearm, what were you going to do-shoot him for yelling at you? Something similar happened to me-some jerk thought I was driving too slow and tried to enter my car at a light. It happened so fast, I couldn't have reacted if I'd wanted to. Luckily, I had my dog with me (pit bull mix), and she DID react. Needless to say, the creep beat a hasty retreat.
Damn scary situation, and it happens a lot in Florida.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
You live in Florida? Get use to it-it's going to get a lot worse. Even if you'd brought your firearm, what were you going to do-shoot him for yelling at you? Something similar happened to me-some jerk thought I was driving too slow and tried to enter my car at a light. It happened so fast, I couldn't have reacted if I'd wanted to. Luckily, I had my dog with me (pit bull mix), and she DID react. Needless to say, the creep beat a hasty retreat.
Damn scary situation, and it happens a lot in Florida.
I would most certainly have used my pistol to protect my children had he produced a weapon after reaching in his back seat. That is to say, the lives of myself and my family are worth FAR more than his.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,077 times
What does his ethnicity have to do with ANYTHING?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Your Allowed to have a pistol concealed in your car??
If I want too I can....You don't/can't?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
What does his ethnicity have to do with ANYTHING?
Maybe that's who is committing most of the crime in his area...

Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
I don't think that "perfect" state of humanity is peace & calm. It's rather the other way around. So less suppressed by "civilization" and police state folks are exhibiting more natural (up close & personal) behavior than your average civilized man settling his "issues" indirectly through state institutions holding monopoly on the organized violence. Personally, I'm kinda glad civilization and state did not take over yet. Just imagine what a dead world that would be.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Quote:
That's like asking why anyone would have windshield wipers. It surely doesn't rain every day, but you will need them at some point. Having a firearm is the same thing. People that own firearms are some of the most disciplined and level headed people you will ever meet.
So how exactly would a firearm (wielded by a level headed person) would resolve this particular situation better? Don't they say something like "If you pulled a gun on somebody, use it" in old Westerns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates