Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,077 times

Advertisements

Scientists are strongly convinced that every human being can be traced to a black woman in Africa. Yet, we have been divided and given categories, like the social contructs of race. So is this a plan to keep chaos within the human race in order for heads of government to maintain power?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
All scientists, or some scientists?

I've heard this theory, but only heard it as theory not established fact.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
All scientists, or some scientists?

I've heard this theory, but only heard it as theory not established fact.
There is no way to establish it as a fact...it's not possible yet. But there is strong evidence.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM

191 posts, read 457,932 times
Every human can't be traced a black woman in Africa because the Aborigines in Australia are believed by many scientists to have evolved separately from the rest of humanity (of course some disagree with this as well....). I think this is amazingly fascinating, considering they have such similar folklore to the rest of the human race, even though there is a strong chance they were not in contact with other humans for thousands of years. Anyway, that's the fun fact of the day. Moving on.

I like the "we have been divided" as if someone did this to us. We divided us. Humans have been in charge of humans. So, it is not like some crazy government did this to us. All of the ruling bodies that have governed humanity have been human.

To me, the better question is, why do we choose to separate ourselves from each other by race, and not, let's say, eye color?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
Every human can't be traced a black woman in Africa because the Aborigines in Australia are believed by many scientists to have evolved separately from the rest of humanity (of course some disagree with this as well....). I think this is amazingly fascinating, considering they have such similar folklore to the rest of the human race, even though there is a strong chance they were not in contact with other humans for thousands of years. Anyway, that's the fun fact of the day. Moving on.

I like the "we have been divided" as if someone did this to us. We divided us. Humans have been in charge of humans. So, it is not like some crazy government did this to us. All of the ruling bodies that have governed humanity have been human.

To me, the better question is, why do we choose to separate ourselves from each other by race, and not, let's say, eye color?
Well, it's easy to divide people through longterm propaganda...which is what happened. When you go back just a few centuries. The terms white, black etc...were never used.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Yes, the terms have changed, but the divisions have not. If you go back one thousand years the English language did not even exist in the form that it would become. However, the evolution of language does not really have anything to do with humans dividing themselves along race lines.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
Yes, the terms have changed, but the divisions have not. If you go back one thousand years the English language did not even exist in the form that it would become. However, the evolution of language does not really have anything to do with humans dividing themselves along race lines.
O.k. Why the recent shift in dividing people with such simplistic categories such as skin color? Most people were seperated by region, language, culture etc...

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
O.k. Why the recent shift in dividing people with such simplistic categories such as skin color? Most people were seperated by region, language, culture etc...
You can learn another language, but you can't change your color.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,474 times
Quote:
Scientists are strongly convinced that every human being can be traced to a black woman in Africa. Yet, we have been divided and given categories, like the social contructs of race. So is this a plan to keep chaos within the human race in order for heads of government to maintain power?

Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As another poster said, its possible but not yet provable.
If that is a plan, they are just taking advantage of a situation that already exists.
Ethnic diversity came from people adapting to different parts of the world. And other diversity developed from similar situations. (religious , cultural, etc).

In a perfect world people would just accept these logically and go on about their business.
But some people of certain categories , mainly religious and political, wish for everyone to follow the same idea string that they do.
And that is one reason why the issues are so hard to solve.

The race issue is different than the others because while you can never 'force' people to change races, one can commit genocide on other races or limit the resources and education provided so as to let them destroy themselves.

Some things just do not have an easy solution.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to keep pushing this, but I don't think it is simplistic. Even in our own country it is not only divided on the lines of race. I teach at a school that is 70% Hispanic. However, those students do not consider themselves "Hispanic", but rather Mexican, Honduran, or Puerto Rican. Then, the Mexican students will divide themselves down even further by the region they came from.

Also, in our country there is certainly a division between ultra conservative white people and white people who consider themselves academic and liberal.

My good friend insists there is a difference between himself and "ghetto" black people.

So, I just don't think it is simplistic, and I don't think it is anything new. People love to create easy to understand boxes to put people into. While most enjoy having close friends that are complicated and more than just one thing, I don't believe the average person wants to embrace the fact that all people are that way. It is just easier, and it feels more safe, to categorize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates