Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:56 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,680 times

Advertisements

I dont see whats so wrong with retarded. It simply means slow. It is used everwhere. The military uses it to describe a type of bomb. A retarded bomb uses flaps on it to create drag to slow it falling.

Then theres a fire RETARDANT.

I dont see anything wrong with retarded or using it. I cant stand the people that blindly defend not using it.

Last edited by Nyse; 04-20-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
I dont see whats so wrong with retarded. It simply means slow. It is used everwhere. The military uses it to describe a type of bomb. A retarded bomb uses flaps on it to create drag to slow it falling.

Then theres a fire RETARDANT.

I dont see anything wrong with retarded or using it. I cant stand the people that blindly defend not using it.
I grew up in a home where "retarded" was used as a description, not an insult. My mom or dad would talk about a family who had a "retarded son", etc. And they weren't being mean about it.

I try not to use the term to describe anyone, but sometimes do anyway - not as an insult, but because old habits die hard.

It seems to me that a healthy dose of grace is necessary here...

Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I think using the term "retarded" can be very hurtful to those who do have family members who are indeed cognitively impaired that way.

Imagine saying that in a public place next to a mom whose kid is indeed retarded.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I have an adult son who is 25 years old with Down syndrome. I read through this entire thread. One of the most remarkable things I ever heard was "Retarded isn't stupid." and this thread better defines that than anything else I have ever read. Stupid: lacking normal intelligence, foolish, silly, dull and boring. My son may be "retarded" but he is not foolish, silly, dull and boring (you can guess who I give those titles to here). While I understand the resistance to being politically correct, I could never understand why someone would use a term to describe someone else that was offensive to that person but then, I am not stupid! And, moron: a very foolish or stupid person!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
I can't believe people still wouldn't have grown out of using that word, but apparently some people have not. It's a horrible word to use even to describe someone that is mentally challenged. But the first time I heard it as a young child and didn't know what it meant, I thought it just sounded like a funny word. Later when I found out what it meant, I didn't like the word anymore. I still don't, and people need to teach their kids not only to have some respect for people who are actually mentally disabled by not using that word to describe them, but they also need not call other kids they don't like retarded either.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have an adult son who is 25 years old with Down syndrome. I read through this entire thread. One of the most remarkable things I ever heard was "Retarded isn't stupid." and this thread better defines that than anything else I have ever read. Stupid: lacking normal intelligence, foolish, silly, dull and boring. My son may be "retarded" but he is not foolish, silly, dull and boring (you can guess who I give those titles to here). While I understand the resistance to being politically correct, I could never understand why someone would use a term to describe someone else that was offensive to that person but then, I am not stupid! And, moron: a very foolish or stupid person!
I have worked in Day Hab and Group Homes. We referred to those in our care as "Consumers". When I first started working there, I used to sit sometimes with a young man at lunch and chat. I asked where he worked and he smiled at me, "I am not staff." "I am a CONSUMER". I guess he more than proved your point.

All the non-profit agencies in that area referred to their clients as Consumers. I have no idea where or when that term came into existence.

BTW, When I told that young man that he didn't belong here, he beamed and said he had "graduated", was getting a part-time job, living in an apartment with a roommate, and that a case worker would be coming to see them once a week to help with their "in the world" living skills. It certainly made my day. I often wonder where he is and how he is doing now.

Last edited by Jo48; 11-14-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
This thread did not need a revival, which is evident by the latest round of post deletions, thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates