Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,527,442 times

Advertisements

Yes we see the headlines about all the sex abuse scandals and coverups but do we really see what goes on here?

There are no politicians such as Obama or McCain daring the criticize the church as there are votes to lose but little to gain. This means people are left to think for themselves..and that never happens.

1. The staggering number of cases and coverups. Yes we may hear about 1000 reports, but male to male rape or molesting is almost never reported. Most men are ashamed to admit they were used sexually by another man. If you're a man would you admit this? On top of that kids who report a case to their parents may be slapped, if the parents say anything they can be ostracized, and prosecutors are sometimes scared to take a case against a powerful church especially if the physical evidence isn't there. The real number of cases is mind-boggling.

2. Preaching and practice. Do people ever think about the hypocrisy when the church says "sex outside of procreation is wrong?" Are the priests trying to make babies with these boys?

3. The church is exempt from almost all tax. In Texas they are exempt from property tax as well. We have to pay their property tax and our benefit is being lectured on how to live... unless we have young boys who attend church.

4. The Catholic Church as a record of immoral activity. It lobbied for us to make a Catholic premier of Vietnam, even though Vietnam was 98% Buddhist -imagine Saudi Arabia tell us we needed Muslim President and installing one for us. Of course Diem was assassinated and the costly war got worse. The Church did the same thing backing the dictator Franscisco Franco who massacred way more people than Saddam or Bin Laden but hey he was a Catholic so it was ok. The Church did nothing to help the Jews in WW@ but they were just jews.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
The Catholic Church is just like every other organization, from Enron to the Oval Office. The first priority is to cover your ass.

The best illustration of Catholic hypocrisy came when Kieth Olbermann reported that President Bush met with the Pope in the Vatican, and one of the main items of discussion was third world poverty. The meeting "took place in the Gold Room" of the Pope's residence. No doubt most of the furnishings courtesy of the Incas and the Aztecs.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,697,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Yes we see the headlines about all the sex abuse scandals and coverups but do we really see what goes on here?

There are no politicians such as Obama or McCain daring the criticize the church as there are votes to lose but little to gain. This means people are left to think for themselves..and that never happens.

1. The staggering number of cases and coverups. Yes we may hear about 1000 reports, but male to male rape or molesting is almost never reported. Most men are ashamed to admit they were used sexually by another man. If you're a man would you admit this? On top of that kids who report a case to their parents may be slapped, if the parents say anything they can be ostracized, and prosecutors are sometimes scared to take a case against a powerful church especially if the physical evidence isn't there. The real number of cases is mind-boggling.

2. Preaching and practice. Do people ever think about the hypocrisy when the church says "sex outside of procreation is wrong?" Are the priests trying to make babies with these boys?

3. The church is exempt from almost all tax. In Texas they are exempt from property tax as well. We have to pay their property tax and our benefit is being lectured on how to live... unless we have young boys who attend church.

4. The Catholic Church as a record of immoral activity. It lobbied for us to make a Catholic premier of Vietnam, even though Vietnam was 98% Buddhist -imagine Saudi Arabia tell us we needed Muslim President and installing one for us. Of course Diem was assassinated and the costly war got worse. The Church did the same thing backing the dictator Franscisco Franco who massacred way more people than Saddam or Bin Laden but hey he was a Catholic so it was ok. The Church did nothing to help the Jews in WW@ but they were just jews.
A good share of what you're saying is true, though exaggerated.

However, churches are not exempt from taxes. Property Taxes, yes. But all other taxes are paid just like every other organization pays taxes. Those dreaded priests and nuns? They pay income tax.

But think about it for a minute... Think about the ramifications of removing the "tax exempt" status from churches. Yes, it would bring in a tiny bit more revenue for local municipalities. But it would be a nightmare in every other way.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 PM

In Texas - school districts, cities, navigation districts, community college districts all rely on the property tax. Many small towns have many churches- its an exaggeration to say its a "tiny bit" more revenue. Every person should pay its fair share. Texas has no income tax.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
In Texas - school districts, cities, navigation districts, community college districts all rely on the property tax. Many small towns have many churches- its an exaggeration to say its a "tiny bit" more revenue. Every person should pay its fair share. Texas has no income tax.
Sure. But if you pull the tax exempt status of church buildings, there will immediately be thousands of lawsuits challenging the tax exempt status of schools and colleges. Hundreds of millions of dollars in legal fees.

Besides, let's be honest... What's the value of the property of some little church in some little town? Every church will contest the assessed valuation, and most will end up going to court. Hundreds of millions more dollars.

Regarding income tax? Nobody is exempt from Federal Income Tax - including priests and nuns.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM

355 posts, read 616,266 times
Quote:

Threads like this bring a smile to my face.
Please, tell me, how do you know there were sex abuse scandals?
Did you read it the newspaper? Perhaps you saw it on TV?
Something tells me you weren't there to witness it yourself, so you are ready to believe media rather than church. How come?
Why would you trust a journalist rather than a preacher?
How many percents of preachers do you think are corrupt, i wonder?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM

515 posts, read 717,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
Threads like this bring a smile to my face.
Please, tell me, how do you know there were sex abuse scandals?
Did you read it the newspaper? Perhaps you saw it on TV?
Something tells me you weren't there to witness it yourself, so you are ready to believe media rather than church. How come?
Why would you trust a journalist rather than a preacher?
How many percents of preachers do you think are corrupt, i wonder?
You want us to believe the church which says some sky daddy invisibly impregnated a virgin teenage girl who then gave birth to a junior sky daddy who went on to get himself killed then raised himself up from the dead and floated off (up?) to a fantasy "heaven"?

Perhaps you were there to witness these "events" for yourself.

A church which states repeatedly that those who cannot or will not believe such stuff and nonsense are condemned to burn FOREVER in a fantasy hell....unless, of course, money has been paid to the church which then entitles the payer to an "indulgence".

Yep, you better believe that I'm much more ready to believe any and all media than I am to believe your corrupt and evil church!

Last edited by meemy; 04-18-2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: 1 line omitted

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM

355 posts, read 616,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
You want us to believe the church which says some sky daddy invisibly impregnated a virgin teenage girl who then gave birth to a junior sky daddy who went on to get himself killed then raised himself up from the dead and floated off (up?) to a fantasy "heaven"?

A church which states repeatedly that those who cannot or will not believe such stuff and nonsense are condemned to burn FOREVER in a fantasy hell....unless, of course, money has been paid to the church which then entitles the payer to an "indulgence".

Yep, you better believe that I'm much more ready to believe any and all media than I am to believe your corrupt and evil church!
Bwaahahahahahahha!!! Roflmao..
Meemy, seriously can your brain process the meaning of the word "metaphor"?
hahahahahhaaa

Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post

Save the small-minded, snarky, juvenile tripe.

Keep your religion to yourself.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Skumat are you for real? Did you not see videos of Bishops admitting their was sexual abuse? You do know what a video is right? There are also court documents. I know there was no holocost or Vietnam War either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.