Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
One thing is a strict regulation regarding ordering/prescription but another thing is the actual dispensing to the patient.
Many patients critically ill, on the hospice, palliative care etc. are not alert enough to remember when and if they received the pain pill from the nurses. In that point is fairly easy to sign in that the medication was given to the patient, and put it in the own scrub pocket.

That is just wrong, but I'm sure it has happened. I know that when the patient dies all the meds are suppose to be disposed of, but I'm sure those get pocketed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
One thing is a strict regulation regarding ordering/prescription but another thing is the actual dispensing to the patient.
Many patients critically ill, on the hospice, palliative care etc. are not alert enough to remember when and if they received the pain pill from the nurses. In that point is fairly easy to sign in that the medication was given to the patient, and put it in the own scrub pocket.

That's an old scam, and I've been victim to it many a time. I've had many surgeries for severe arthritis. Seems pain shots worked better on some shifts than others? They were just injecting me with water and taking it themselves! Also, why did a certain nurse get hsotile when I insisted on inspecting my pills before taking them? Percocet says so on the pill, she was just giving me some plain tylenol, probably she brought it in from home and substituted it.

They do get around that crap with PCA's --- patient controlled analgesia. It requires an IV, the pain medicine is in a locked, controlled pump the patient activates by pressing a button. There's safeguards to prevent overdosages, but the staff can't help themselves to the patient's pain meds. They say they came up with that idea for patient convenience and to reduce workloads for nursing staff, which I'm sure it does. But the main reason is to make sure the pain medicine goes into the patient, not the staff.

I agree, its a common, despicable occurrence.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM

61,741 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's an old scam, and I've been victim to it many a time. I've had many surgeries for severe arthritis. Seems pain shots worked better on some shifts than others? They were just injecting me with water and taking it themselves! Also, why did a certain nurse get hsotile when I insisted on inspecting my pills before taking them? Percocet says so on the pill, she was just giving me some plain tylenol, probably she brought it in from home and substituted it.

They do get around that crap with PCA's --- patient controlled analgesia. It requires an IV, the pain medicine is in a locked, controlled pump the patient activates by pressing a button. There's safeguards to prevent overdosages, but the staff can't help themselves to the patient's pain meds. They say they came up with that idea for patient convenience and to reduce workloads for nursing staff, which I'm sure it does. But the main reason is to make sure the pain medicine goes into the patient, not the staff.

I agree, its a common, despicable occurrence.
Sadly, you are right.
PCA's are great, but still the majority of patients get the pain meds prescribed in the form of a pill. Some ( and the number is not that small ) do not receive them as prescribed by the doctor, although their administration is well documented.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
You are right.
The problem is, people who do not have medical problems do not understand what it is like to have medical problems. They aren't being mean, it's a lack of understanding, that's all.
Boy, no kidding!

My husband recently battled kidney stones, and I hope to Hell that I never have to listen to those sounds of agony again! I felt so powerless until we got him to the ER.

That is one of those conditions where nobody has an inkling of what the pain is like (and better hope they don't). He was prescribed a certain amount of Oxy and it was the only relief he could get (and he still felt some discomfort although it took the edge off). But he used it at home while recovering, complaining the whole time about grogginess.

What he and I don't understand is WHY anyone would addict themselves to it, because who wants to waltz through life in a stupor? I have some RX pain and muscle meds that I retain for when I may need them, but I so hate feeling sleepy all the time. But such meds DO have their place, and those pills are lasting me a LONG time.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Bottom line is, there is big money to be made on the illicit drug market. It's all about greed.---Pompano pain clinic doctor arrested on drug charges - Sun Sentinel

Old 04-21-2010, 04:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Boy, no kidding!

My husband recently battled kidney stones, and I hope to Hell that I never have to listen to those sounds of agony again! I felt so powerless until we got him to the ER.

That is one of those conditions where nobody has an inkling of what the pain is like (and better hope they don't). He was prescribed a certain amount of Oxy and it was the only relief he could get (and he still felt some discomfort although it took the edge off). But he used it at home while recovering, complaining the whole time about grogginess.

What he and I don't understand is WHY anyone would addict themselves to it, because who wants to waltz through life in a stupor? I have some RX pain and muscle meds that I retain for when I may need them, but I so hate feeling sleepy all the time. But such meds DO have their place, and those pills are lasting me a LONG time.
Luckily your husband had an acute episode. Should you have a condition with chronic pain...it is usually THAT which creates the addiction. The NEED for relief. Once you are on the meds a while...you will need to increase the dose because your body will get used to the concentration over time, so the dose will need to increase to get the same level of pain relief...it is a terrible vicious cycle that people with REAL pain deal with. It isn't that they WANT to become an addict..it is out of dire need for relief from the pain they are experiencing that creates a cycle that can make it become addictive. I feel for those with that kind of medical pain. You would have to think about the pain your husband had...what if he had to deal with that for long periods, or everyday forever. I am so sorry he had to experience it at all. I hope he never does again.

Now, not to say...there are MANY out there who JUST WANT A BUZZ!! It is those IDIOTS that cause people with REAL PAIN to suffer because people then classify someone needing the meds as an addict unjustly.

Glad your hubby is better!!! Hope he stays well

Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Should you have a condition with chronic pain...it is usually THAT which creates the addiction. The NEED for relief. Once you are on the meds a while...
I'm the one with chronic pain, a muscle condition that provides very rare days of little to no pain. Once in awhile, about once every other month on the average, I break down and take a muscle-relaxant because it's the only thing that works. Used to do yoga but can't anymore. Best thing for me to soak in a hot bath, but I can't stay immerse in water all day.

Much as I love the relief from the relaxants, I have to work. Those pills stupify me to the point of being literally non-functional. I don't know how addicts do it, unless they reach the point where they no longer experience sleepiness.

Husband's starting to do better. Found out that a young nephew of his was recently hospitalized with the same problem. Yeech!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:

Now, not to say...there are MANY out there who JUST WANT A BUZZ!! It is those IDIOTS that cause people with REAL PAIN to suffer because people then classify someone needing the meds as an addict unjustly.
I work in a Long-term/Rehab facility, answering any number of call lights during the night, patients wanting pain medication. There are those who can get it every 3 hours, some every 4, some 6. In a place like this place, just leave your watch at home!

Some of these people, even without alarm clocks, will put on their call light every 3,4, 6 hours right to the very minute. And it's true, the manipulators, the "actors", "actresses", help cause those in real pain to suffer. I'm a very perceptive individual, I can see, I've got eyes.

Some of these elderly people who have never been exposed to illicit drugs, finally exposed to this yummy pain medication, can get as as addicted as quickly as any drug addict on the streets. Long after the pain is gone, they're still begging like junkies for more and more and more.

I have often wondered, once they leave the facility what becomes of them.
Do they manipulate their Dr.'s into continually giving it to them long after they're healed or they turn to street drugs?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I keep some strong analgesics around and use them when I am in pain. They are prescription drugs that do what they are supposed to do. When the pain is relieved I stop taking them.

I think most medications, even the addictive chemicals, should be available over the counter with out a prescription needed. If some people become addicted at least they would have a reasonably priced supply. The heavy restrictions on the "dangerous" drugs does nothing but support a monopoly pricing structure that only benefits the manufacturer or the illicit drug dealer. One of the great ironies is that Heroine was developed to treat wounded veteran’s from the Franco-Prussian war of 1895. It is still one of the best analgesics around and fairly cheap and easy to make. I think the stuff should be legalized and sold next to aspirin on any drug store shelf.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I keep some strong analgesics around and use them when I am in pain. They are prescription drugs that do what they are supposed to do. When the pain is relieved I stop taking them.

I think most medications, even the addictive chemicals, should be available over the counter with out a prescription needed. If some people become addicted at least they would have a reasonably priced supply. The heavy restrictions on the "dangerous" drugs does nothing but support a monopoly pricing structure that only benefits the manufacturer or the illicit drug dealer. One of the great ironies is that Heroine was developed to treat wounded veteran’s from the Franco-Prussian war of 1895. It is still one of the best analgesics around and fairly cheap and easy to make. I think the stuff should be legalized and sold next to aspirin on any drug store shelf.
Wow..I don't know that I would go that far! Legalization of all these drugs...seems we are trying to open pandora's box..and what's hiding inside will NOT be pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates