Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I have no problem giving money to a homeless person, they stand out there and have to humble themselves and ask so I give 20 bucks don't hurt anyone, I have even handed them a pack of cigarettes. Just think if you don't they will rob someone and maybe kill them for what??? A beer or cigarette?? Not worth it.
You give $20 to a homeless person? Gosh Damn! I need to move to Utah. Are your friends just as generous?

You do realize that there are professional panhandlers out there, right? I've known several who dress sharp w/ garb from St.Vincent De Paul and play the role of the temporary victim (broke down car, or other temporary blunder, ect.) You would be shocked to know some of them make over $100 day. No taxes to claim, either. Thats more than a retail slave makes in a 10 hour shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:39 AM

345 posts, read 643,189 times
There's a difference between giving some money to a homeless person and giving a sandwich to a homeless person. That, and even in a place like midtown Manhattan, if you gave a few dollars to every homeless person you saw on your walk to and from work, you'd be broke (well, at least I would). Most importantly though, if I'm giving my money to any other organization or individual, I want to know where that money goes. Which is why I'm more inclined to give a granola bar or something rather than cash, which I have no way to account for, short of following the person all day to see where they spend it.

To those who have mentioned that even if a homeless person uses the money to buy beer, at least they're not hurting anyone...are you insane? It's ALCOHOL! Add that into the system of someone who's already likely mentally unstable, and you could very well be contributing to something bad. Yes, I know you have good intentions, but good intentions and naivety are a bad combo.

Also, I'm more inclined to throw a few bucks to a street musician than a homeless person. Why? At least that person is providing a service (well, not for everyone...), and if I like the music they're making, than sure, have a few bucks.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If they were not veterans, would you have the same sympathy for them? Why not?

What are you telling your congressmen about the homeless men of the future, who are still in Iraq and Afghanistan?

I would like to see the actual statistics on how many people are homeless, how many of them are veterans, and what is the methodology of arriving at those statistics.

I would have sympathy. I have sympathy for anyone who sleeps under a tree. I happen to believe that if I were subject to having to sleep under a tree, after a few nights I wouldn't think very clearly either, or trust one human being who trys to help me. Walk a mile...

I don't need statistics in my line of work - I just see with my own two eyes. Statistics can be manipulated to suit personal agendas IMHO.

I suppose it would be interesting to tally them, but good luck trying to get them all. There are a good many who won't go to shelters no matter what and if they have issues with substance abuse, there are few shelters who will accept them (understandably if in vino veritas applies to their personalities).

Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I believe we are each responsible for helping the best way we know how (and that is IMO through legitimate organizations) and they are responsible for how they use the money.
Any time I see someone on the corner with a sign, I wonder why he doesn't go to his local food pantry, a church, or homeless shelter to ask for help, because help IS available.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
There's a difference between giving some money to a homeless person and giving a sandwich to a homeless person. That, and even in a place like midtown Manhattan, if you gave a few dollars to every homeless person you saw on your walk to and from work, you'd be broke (well, at least I would). Most importantly though, if I'm giving my money to any other organization or individual, I want to know where that money goes. Which is why I'm more inclined to give a granola bar or something rather than cash, which I have no way to account for, short of following the person all day to see where they spend it.

To those who have mentioned that even if a homeless person uses the money to buy beer, at least they're not hurting anyone...are you insane? It's ALCOHOL! Add that into the system of someone who's already likely mentally unstable, and you could very well be contributing to something bad. Yes, I know you have good intentions, but good intentions and naivety are a bad combo.

Also, I'm more inclined to throw a few bucks to a street musician than a homeless person. Why? At least that person is providing a service (well, not for everyone...), and if I like the music they're making, than sure, have a few bucks.
I agree. For all the many reasons that attribute to someone's homelessness, addictions are frequently major factors and assisting the addiction doesn't "help". When I can I donate to food banks and shelter drives but on an individual basis I would rather give a person a meal, a voucher for a meal or a direct contact for help, like hooking them up with an outreach worker in person.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I believe we are each responsible for helping the best way we know how (and that is IMO through legitimate organizations) and they are responsible for how they use the money.
Any time I see someone on the corner with a sign, I wonder why he doesn't go to his local food pantry, a church, or homeless shelter to ask for help, because help IS available.

I agree. I also agree that if people gave cash everytime they were hit up for it, they'd be broke as well.

I just think that as a society, we should refrain from criticism because really, we don't know the whole story of the individual in question.

Are there those who simply panhandle for cash? Of course. There always will be. There's dishonesty in every walk of life.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
In the town where I used to live, the churches all worked together to help homeless & transients. The churches stocked and staffed a large food pantry, and they also gave people McDonalds & Burger King Gift Certificates. I believe they might also have had arrangements at a local motel to give people a night's stay.

I do know they did not give cash to anyone.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
In the town where I used to live, the churches all worked together to help homeless & transients. The churches stocked and staffed a large food pantry, and they also gave people McDonalds & Burger King Gift Certificates. I believe they might also have had arrangements at a local motel to give people a night's stay.

I do know they did not give cash to anyone.
Yes, churches do a lot of that. You don't have to be a member or know anyone in the church to ask for help. Also, the Salvation Army helps out with housing and meals for people who are displaced, homeless or in transition.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Yes, churches do a lot of that. You don't have to be a member or know anyone in the church to ask for help. Also, the Salvation Army helps out with housing and meals for people who are displaced, homeless or in transition.
In "said town" of which I was speaking, the Salvation Army had transients & homeless simply spend the night in jail. They weren't incarcerated, just housed. I don't know how many of them actually took advantage of the offer, but hey, it was there.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Never give money to someone homeless, offer to buy them food.

I offer to walk into a grocery store/subway/pizza place/etc. and buy them a meal. I have been cursed out for not giving them money by some (the people who just want booze/drugs) and I have been hugged and thanked by those who actually need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates