Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,332 times

Advertisements

I am sure that many homeless are simply unfortuante people who did not get a far share at life. However, I heard that at least half spend their money (that was handed to them) on drugs and alcohol addictions. Is this figure accurate? What percentage of the homeless population is an addict that will spend your money on the addiction? If it is at least half, is it even ethical to give anything to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I am sure that many homeless are simply unfortuante people who did not get a far share at life. However, I heard that at least half spend their money (that was handed to them) on drugs and alcohol addictions. Is this figure accurate? What percentage of the homeless population is an addict that will spend your money on the addiction? If it is at least half, is it even ethical to give anything to them?
I go out to the Las Vegas strip every weekend where there are lots of homeless people. I have no problems buying the homeless people beer. If it makes them feel better, albeit temporarily, what is the harm?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
The majority of America's homeless are mentally ill. That fact alone throws a wrench into everything, and complicates the entire problem.

There are no easy answers.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,937 times
I worked with homeless people for many years and yes, many of them do struggle with alcohol and/or drug abuse. There were also those who had chronic mental illnesses that interfered with social and cognitive functioning and who may or may not also abused alcohol and drugs. There are also those who simply don't have the education or have other obstacles to employment that provides a living wage. Today many homeless people are employed, but don't make enough to pay for permanent housing. Regardless of the reason, I don't believe that handing money to panhandlers actually helps them or helps the problem. There are so many underfunded community organizations that offer practical help to homeless people; offering education, food, assistance with medical issues, transitional housing, you name it. Many of these organizations do valuable work and actually help some people get off the street but, most are limited by lack of resources. So, rather than give a few dollars to the panhandler and feeling a brief sense of satisfaction that you are helping somebody, consider researching local community groups that are serving this population and have a proven track record of helping them--then write a check. I've seen people get off the streets and start new lives and it's wonderful to see but it takes a lot of support for most folks to make that transition.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Of all the people in the USA who receive public assistance, only about one in a thousand is actually homeless. But without a generous program of public assistance, they would nearly all become homeless. But that wouldn't be your problem, would it? You can just sit by the warm fireside and complain about your hard-earned money being stolen from you by the liberals to help keep the personally irresponsible from becoming homeless. You have the natural right to grab several million dollars of the American bounty during your lifetime, and live warm and well-fed on it, but you have no responsibility to give any of it back so others can at least have a little dignity.

A nation is not judged by how it treats its rich a$$holes, but by how it treats its poor a$$holes.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of all the people in the USA who receive public assistance, only about one in a thousand is actually homeless. But without a generous program of public assistance, they would nearly all become homeless. But that wouldn't be your problem, would it? You can just sit by the warm fireside and complain about your hard-earned money being stolen from you by the liberals to help keep the personally irresponsible from becoming homeless. You have the natural right to grab several million dollars of the American bounty during your lifetime, and live warm and well-fed on it, but you have no responsibility to give any of it back so others can at least have a little dignity.

A nation is not judged by how it treats its rich a$$holes, but by how it treats its poor a$$holes.
Maybe you should cash some of your Social Security checks and give the money to the homeless, ehh Ghandi?

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 04-19-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Give money to organizations that help the homeless instead of giving it directly to them.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
The other day I saw a homeless guy with a sign: "F*ck it, I just need a beer!" At least he was honest!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
The other day I saw a homeless guy with a sign: "F*ck it, I just need a beer!" At least he was honest!

What percentage of wealthy Americans spend their money on feel-good drugs (legal or not) and booze?

Face it, we are a society who likes to be medicated. I don't think we should expect the down-and-out to be any more sober than the rest of us.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

What percentage of wealthy Americans spend their money on feel-good drugs (legal or not) and booze?

Face it, we are a society who likes to be medicated. I don't think we should expect the down-and-out to be any more sober than the rest of us.
I agree, except that I think everyone ought to buy their own hooch - not expect somebody else to provide it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates