Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What if they have official government parades threatening obliteration and offensive action against other countries? You hypothesis assumes that while OTHERS might take action against Iran, it's an impossibility that they would do so themselves. I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran vows to increase military strength
Do they just pick countries out of a hat, and threaten to obliterate them? Have they threatened to obliterate New Zealand or Finland?

How do you suppose they pick out which countries they "threaten obliteration" of? Is it possible that they wait and see which nuclear powers call them "The Axis of Evil" and threaten to nuke them? Do you think the Iranian government is so backward, they have to "daub" their official slogans?

You feel justified in destroying Iran, because you found a news report that a missile was "daubed" with a slogan threatening America. Wow. Or is it possible that that "official threat" might have been spray painted on the missile by a patriot with a can of rustoleum? There was nothing else in your news link that suggested in any way that Iran represented a threat to any peaceful nation.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How do you suppose they pick out which countries they "threaten obliteration" of? Is it possible that they wait and see which nuclear powers call them "The Axis of Evil" and threaten to nuke them? Do you think the Iranian government is so backward, they have to "daub" their official slogans?

You feel justified in destroying Iran, because you found a news report that a missile was "daubed" with a slogan threatening America. Wow. Or do you think that "official threat" might have been spray painted on the missile by a patriot with a can of rustoleum? There was nothing else in your news link that suggested in any way that Iran represented a threat to any peaceful nation.
So you are telling me that the Iranian government just let's any random passer-by climb on their top of the line long-range missles and put slogans on them....then rolls them out on public display. Really? REALLY?

Frankly, I think that Iran is hurting themselves by pursuing a nuclear program and I worry what Israel might do. Let's not kid ourselves that Iran isn't sabre rattling and Israel is rattling right back. Only a fool looks at the middle east and sees good guys and bad guys. The whole world is grey as hell.

Quote:
You feel justified in destroying Iran, because you found a news report that a missile was "daubed" with a slogan threatening America. Wow.
You are a liar. I actually oppose any attack on Iran. Since we are making stuff up that the other didn't actually say, I cannot believe that you want all Jews exterminated.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
You talk about Iran handing the nuke to extremists like candy. I doubt that very much since Iran has a sense of self-preservation. Terrorists will use nukes if they get their hands on them, because they disdain the modern way of life. A nuke used by terrorist groups will trigger rapid retaliation within hours, without justification or proof that it may or may not be state-sponsored. I would look more towards destabilized governments for where the loose nuke will come from. A powerful authoritarian government will do everything possible to keep itself in that position, and nuclear strikes are a clear threat to its existence.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So you are telling me that the Iranian government just let's any random passer-by climb on their top of the line long-range missles and put slogans on them....then rolls them out on public display. Really? REALLY?
Nope. Some zealot who has access. Like the way US fighter planes used to have slogans painted on them by the flight crew, during WWII, to which nobody objected. When you perceive your nation to be under attack, unofficial demonstrations of patriotism are widely tolerated, if not encouraged. It's like a home-coming parade, where expressions of team spirit don't necessarily reflect the literal and official administrative policy of the school district. Nobody objects to the float showing the player from the opposing team hanging from a noose. The news media doesn't report that a "daubed" sign on the float represents a clear and present danger to the lives of the players from the other town, and demand the resignation if not the prosecution of the superintendent.

The BBC doesn't mess with language. Before they use the word "daub", the look it up and see what it represents.

daub
   /dɔb/
–verb (used with object)

to apply, as paint or colors, unskillfully.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Nope. Some zealot who has access. Like the way US fighter planes used to have slogans painted on them by the flight crew, during WWII, to which nobody objected. When you perceive your nation to be under attack, unofficial demonstrations of patriotism are widely tolerated, if not encouraged. It's like a home-coming parade, where expressions of team spirit don't necessarily reflect the literal and official administrative policy of the school district. Nobody objects to the float showing the player from the opposing team hanging from a noose. The news media doesn't report that a "daubed" sign on the float represents a clear and present danger to the lives of the players from the other town, and demand the resignation if not the prosecution of the superintendent.

The BBC doesn't mess with language. Before they use the word "daub", the look it up and see what it represents.

daub
   /dɔb/
–verb (used with object)

to apply, as paint or colors, unskillfully.
So you won't even acknowledge or retract your blatant lie? Ok, well a reputation earned is a reputation deserved.

Here you go with some more....make no doubt that there is a whole lot of threatening going on all around. Your efforts to paint Iran as some passive innocent when they are ALL dirty as heck is ridiculous.

Iran threatens Israel's allies - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com

Did you notice the parade commemorated the START of the Iran-Iraq war....not the end. Pretty ironic.

I can't believe you compared a HS homecoming float to what gets written on the sides of top secret Iranian long range missles. It was clearly sabre rattling, which has been going on for a while.

Personally, I believe iran is posturing but Israel is well....rather jumpy so it makes me nervous that they might do something *rash* (notice that I'm not blaming Iran here?) The president of Iran is like any politician, playing to the masses and extreme right wing for popular support. (Thankyou for supporting right wingers in Iran that have trampled the moderates and left. )

Give Iran a nuke today and so what? They can't use it on anyone and they get hit with a bunch of sanctions...it's not exactly a smart play.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
So you won't even acknowledge or retract your blatant lie? .
Tell me what the blatant lie was, and I'll address it.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,540 times
make love not war, people..no matter what nation you are!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Tell me what the blatant lie was, and I'll address it.
I pointed this out in post #12 liar.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
What will happen if Iran get the atomic bomb??
They will blow sh8t up

Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
How did Iranians get their nuclear technology in the first place? One SOB from Pakistan provided it to them. Did Pakistan need nuclear weapons? No, they need food and other basics, but Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Benazir's father) in the 70s, decided that Pakistanis will eat grass, because they need a little bomb first.
What will Iran do with the bomb? Probably nothing at first, but then some of Allah's soldiers, may also need a little bomb. A lot is possible in Allah's name. That's the danger.
It is speculated (no proof yet) that recently Syria provided Hisbullah with SCUD missiles. SCUDs originate from the Soviet Union who did not use them but who provided Syria (who did not use them in battle yet). Hisbullah however (in his name) may put them to good use.
That's the danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates