Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
Come on people! I thought this was a good thread. Lol.
Any Ideas? It doesn't have to be serious!! Just something!!
My 19 questions were all serious, and I cannot seriously entertain the idea of an afterlife until somebody answers at least some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
ok, I wll be the first to answer this seriously.

I hope our souls go on to something better. I hope I get to see my loved once again. But yet again, I also hope that are purpose on earth is not for nothing.
If you are a child molester or a murderer while living on earth, then I hope you will have to pay for that in the after life.
I do not belive in a hell or a paradise. Or at least I hope there is no hell the way the bible describe it.
So how should an evil person pay for his or her actions in the afterlife? Im not sure. Maybe when they die they will feel the suffering from all the pain they ever caused while living on earth. And they would have to be surrounded with that pain for a period of time, but not forever?

This question is almost impossible to ask. Unless you are dead and can come back and tell us we will never know. I have my hopes on a good afterlife. A fair afterlife but a happy ending for everybody. But maybe we will all just die and that will be the end of it.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 PM

I think this was an episode of "Twilight Zone". A guy goes to heaven, and it's wonderful. His every need attended to. Never has to inconvenience himself. After a while, he gets bored with it, and asks if there is anything he can do. No, everything is done for him. So he says, well, Heaven ain't all what it's cracked up to be, I would like to try the other place. He's then told "This is the other place".

Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 PM

What is your age in heaven?
Same as when I die
Which of your ex-spouses will be there with you.
If you are friends when you died, maybe..?
What if the one you want is with somebody else?
that they met in heaven? Wow
Will you be rejoined with your grandmother?
of course
How old will she be?
old as when she died
Will you also be rejoined with your ancestor from 10,000 BC?
no , too much work :)
That ancestor has 3 trillion descendants, some of whom are in Hell. How does that work?
there is no hell in my afterlife
If you had a leg amputated, is it already there waiting for you?
Yes!LOL
Who gets to decide if your pets are there with you---you, or God?
Me!Pets needs an afterlife too.
If your son goes to Hell, do you get him in Heaven with you on his good days?
no hell in my afterlife
What if you had a heart transplant---who gets the heart?
You need no heart in the afterlife. That an earth thing
Do you have to play the harp, of if you want an accordion, will they send one up from Hell for you?
No Im no angel, or devil either..
Do other people in Heaven have to listen to you play it?
LOL omg im going to pee my pants.
If in Heaven you're the best golfer ever, how can you be sure, if Tiger Woods is not there to play you?
I guess you would have to wait until he dies.
Can you borrow a virgin from a Muslim?
Its up to the Virgin. It is free choice in heaven!
Does he get a full replacement when you return her as damaged goods?
He gets to realize what he missed out on
Or doesn't Heaven let you damage the goods?
Again, Women are still not men's property in Heaven
Then how can it be Heaven?
It is what you want it to be
How can there be a Heaven without baseball, and therefore without Manny Ramirez?
How do you know there are no baseball? To me it would be heaven without baseball. I hate baseball!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think this was an episode of "Twilight Zone". A guy goes to heaven, and it's wonderful. His every need attended to. Never has to inconvenience himself. After a while, he gets bored with it, and asks if there is anything he can do. No, everything is done for him. So he says, well, Heaven ain't all what it's cracked up to be, I would like to try the other place. He's then told "This is the other place".
Well, there you go. So the other place aint that bad then. So heaven must be better then that other place. So regardless, you will be ok!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,356,445 times
In all honesty (though I'd like to honestly believe there is a big ol' chocolate factory in the sky ), I personally don't believe in an afterlife. I'm more incline to believe in reincarnation. I think stories of people experiencing NDEs are simply a result of our cultural subconscious holding onto that idea of the bright light and long tunnel. I'm not a scientist by any means nor have I really studied this, but I'm sure people in different cultures in different parts of the world experience NDEs in very different ways.

this thread makes me want to read that book, 90 Minutes in Heaven. supposedly, the author died for 90 minutes and actually experienced heaven before being brought back to life. real or BS, I don't know, but it could be another interesting insight into this topic

Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,001,405 times
I picture Heaven to be kind of like paradise. I also believe that when you die, you go back to a time of your best years on Earth. It could be your childhood, or early adult years, who knows? Short story; my wife's uncle passed away back in 2000. He had a major heart attack, and died right there on the porch. That night her aunt was sitting there on the couch, and saw him. He was young again, and he said to her "I'm OK." That story gave me the chills when I heard it, but that is really cool.

Even though I am Catholic, I don't rule out the possibility of reincarnation either. Perhaps there are certain people who come back because they didn't learn a particular lesson in a previous life. Who knows? I guess that we will all find out some day. Anyway good thread!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,697,780 times
One of the things I find disturbing with religious people is that they all seem to be living for the afterlife. Why worry about what is to come while you are still living this life?

I think humans are plagued by "the grass is always greener." The truth is; the grass is always greener until you get there and look back. Try enjoying this life and doing a little good while you are here.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Why would I care if there is reincarnation, if when I come back as somebody else, I won't remember that I was me or that I'm him. And my present life must be pretty meaningless to somebody in the past who got reincarnated as me, and the "him" that is coming along with me is apparently perfectly unaware of it, and would have been pretty disappointed if he had known how I was going to ignore him.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times
I believe in reincarnation, but I believe that we get to spend some time in an afterlife as well. I've always been fascinated by accounts of near-death experiences and they all pretty much come back saying that. As for your age, they generally say that you look as you did at your most attractive age in life or perhaps you present yourself as you choose. A friend of mine had a NDE and she said that there was this huge mandala and she understood the meaning of . . . everything--at that time, but forgot it again after she was resuscitated. Also, many people have mentioned learning their mission in life, but even people who remembered everything else could not remember exactly what their mission was supposed to be after they relearned it. They were shown it though b/c they were reluctant to come back to this "vale of tears." As for hell: yes I believe it exists but I don't believe it's eternal and God doesn't put you there--you do. You freely go b/c you don't know any better and you have to dig yourself out thru your own efforts and growing awareness. I've heard it described more as emptiness than a burning hot lake though. Those are just sadistic fantasies that some religious people hold. And, lol, I'm a Christian and I don't go to church and talk about this too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates