Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 PM

106 posts, read 382,256 times

Advertisements

If you believe in one that is.

What do you think its like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,420,633 times
Whatever you want it to be. If you're a family person, it'll be a family environment. If its evil things, then it'll be an evil place.

Whatever you want.

But, in all reality, it'll probably nothing we expect at all. It may just be belonging to everything again, one collective being, or something.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,360,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
If you believe in one that is.

What do you think its like?

EXACTLY like Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory, right down to the Oompa Loompas! only difference is there's more than just candy growing on the trees and there's a better soundtrack

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
exactly like willy wonka's chocolate factory, right down to the oompa loompas! :d only difference is there's more than just candy growing on the trees and there's a better soundtrack
lol. Nice.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
What is your age in heaven?
Which of your ex-spouses will be there with you.
What if the one you want is with somebody else?
Will you be rejoined with your grandmother?
How old will she be?
Will you also be rejoined with your ancestor from 10,000 BC?
That ancestor has 3 trillion descendants, some of whom are in Hell. How does that work?
If you had a leg amputated, is it already there waiting for you?
Who gets to decide if your pets are there with you---you, or God?
If your son goes to Hell, do you get him in Heaven with you on his good days?
What if you had a heart transplant---who gets the heart?
Do you have to play the harp, of if you want an accordion, will they send one up from Hell for you?
Do other people in Heaven have to listen to you play it?
If in Heaven you're the best golfer ever, how can you be sure, if Tiger Woods is not there to play you?
Can you borrow a virgin from a Muslim?
Does he get a full replacement when you return her as damaged goods?
Or doesn't Heaven let you damage the goods?
Then how can it be Heaven?
How can there be a Heaven without baseball, and therefore without Manny Ramirez?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 PM

324 posts, read 574,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is your age in heaven?
Which of your ex-spouses will be there with you.
Will you be rejoined with your grandmother?
How old will she be?
Will you also be rejoined with your ancestor from 10,000 BC?
That ancestor has 3 trillion descendants, some of whom are in Hell. How does that work?
If you had a leg amputated, is it already there waiting for you?
Who gets to decide if your pets are there with you---you, or God?
If your son goes to Hell, do you get him in Heaven with you on his good days?
What if you had a heart transplant---who gets the heart?
Do you have to play the harp, of if you want an accordion, will they send one up from Hell for you?
Do other people in Heaven have to listen to you play it?
Can you borrow a virgin from a Muslim?
Does he get a full replacement when you return her as damaged goods?
Or doesn't Heaven let you damage the goods?
Then how can it be Heaven?
How can there be a Heaven without baseball, and therefore without Manny Ramirez?
If in Heaven you're the best golfer ever, how can you be sure, if Tiger Woods is not there to play you?
LOL! Good questions.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 AM

677 posts, read 1,622,003 times
I don't think there is any way for us to know what the afterlife is - if there is one at all. It's fun to speculate, but I have a feeling that it's something that we are incapable of comprehending.

We can pretend in fairy tales that tell us that when we die we go somewhere fantastic, but if that's the case then why don't people start killing themselves to go live in paradise? Oh right, there are apparently rules to get there. But who can say for sure that these rules are correct?

I think that it shows an outstanding amount of ignorance for a person to believe that s/he knows what happens after we die. There are limitless posibilities and there's simply no way to know for sure until we get there.

When I was younger I thought that the afterlife was either being asleep forever or there was some form of reincarnation that takes place when the soul leaves the body. But again, it's impossible to say.

Good thread topic

Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 AM

677 posts, read 1,622,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
EXACTLY like Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory, right down to the Oompa Loompas! only difference is there's more than just candy growing on the trees and there's a better soundtrack
Can the oompa loompas not be as creepy looking as they are in the newest version of the movie? I'm not on board with this if I have to be surrounded by those guys for eternity

Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Come on people! I thought this was a good thread. Lol.
Any Ideas? It doesn't have to be serious!! Just something!!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:18 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,526,299 times
Well, there are accounts of numerous NDE's that have been reported around the world that I've read about in the past. The tunnel of light and all that jazz. But there have been stories of people going to some rather, um, negative places. And there are cultural differences as well, with many Asians reporting back from a heaven filled with gleaming skyscrapers and shiny automobiles, while Americans' idea of heaven often resemble that famous meadow scene in "The Sound of Music." Interesting, to say the least.

As for me, I'm partial to the idea of reincarnation - and that we get to choose how and when to come back in future lives. Sure beats playing the harp in a so-called "heaven" anyways...LOL. And I somehow feel that the rewards of this life does manifest in the afterlife somehow - just in ways we can't conceive right now.

As curious as I am about the afterlife (and who isn't), it's something I hope that doesn't get answered for a very long time to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates