Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times

Advertisements

According to a recent USA Today newspaper, the cremation rate in USA is rising by one percentage point every year. Cremation is far more prevalent in western states, than the east or south. It's also the norm by far, now in Europe.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM

178 posts, read 540,544 times
To anyone who prefers to be embalmed: do you really know what that process is? I suggest you Google it (also see YouTube). It's a gruesome procedure IMO. Embalming delays decomp but does not prevent it. And check out Jessica Mitford's books. It's cremation or green burial for me.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 AM

110 posts, read 97,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No offense but I read this and think "and........?" Don't get me wrong, I'm about as "nature boy" as the next guy, love it and have much respect for it......but being natural or man-made isn't inherently good or bad. eg bubonic plague is natural while modern medicine and practices (vaccines, clean hospital conditions, etc) are not. I'm thinkin the formal is very much undesirable, the latter not. So the whole "natural thing" to me is not an argument against cremation at all.
humans were the natural products.While what is manmade and unnatural is for the good of living human beings,its not good for nature and the dead.The dead is no longer a living human being,but a part of nature.the dead body as organic matter,is good for the microbes and plants in the soil if it had not been cremated,and it thus is in the natural process which once created life,including humans.Who knows in the subsequent natural process what nature would produce which maybe better than the dead's previous life?

In this sence cremation is bad for the dead by destroyed it.Cremation is manmade,but it doesn't benefit the alive as other manmade things.Cremation emit pollutants into the air which are harmful to both living humans and nature.

So cremation benefits neither the dead nor the alive.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I am an organ donor. Whatever part of me can be used to enhance someone's QOL, I give it freely.
Having undergone surgery for a heart valve replacement and colon cancer, it is possible that my body parts will not be suitable to transplant to another, in which case, I am willing that my corpse be donated to a medical school. The cadaver will then be dissected, head to toe, by students who will one day be physicians. Whatever remains of the remains should be cremated.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Natural is good for the dead.The dead is no longer a living human being,he returned to the same natural process as before he had been born.It is this natural process that brought him to life,and back to this process after his death by natural burial.As the dead is in the same natural process as before he was born,no one can absolutely exclude the possibility that this process would in the future produce kind of new life which may have some connection with the dead, since the same process once created human life from lifeless chaos.

The manmade cremation destroyed the body by high temperature,thus destroyed the original natural process. Cremation emit carbon dioxide and other pollutants into the air,thus does no good for both the dead and the alive.

The one chooses natural burial believes that death is not the final end of life,his life is with nature,the natural process that created human life is a creative living force.

The one chooses cremation believes that death is the final end of life,it is not necessary to return the body to earth,so destroy it by burn it to gases and ashes.By thus doing the dead was really destroyed and is really the final end of life once for all.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
I love my body, and love the time we have spent together. When I look into the mirror and think about my skin falling off my face, or my organs liquifiying or whatever......no, I don't want that happening to me even if I'm dead at the time. I would rather know that a few days after I die my body well be cremated, it will go out of this world in a form that still resembles what I have come to think about as "being me". That thought gives me some comfort during life, and life is what it's all about!

Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
humans were the natural products.While what is manmade and unnatural is for the good of living human beings,its not good for nature and the dead.The dead is no longer a living human being,but a part of nature.the dead body as organic matter,is good for the microbes and plants in the soil if it had not been cremated,and it thus is in the natural process which once created life,including humans.Who knows in the subsequent natural process what nature would produce which maybe better than the dead's previous life?

In this sence cremation is bad for the dead by destroyed it.Cremation is manmade,but it doesn't benefit the alive as other manmade things.Cremation emit pollutants into the air which are harmful to both living humans and nature.

So cremation benefits neither the dead nor the alive.
Since you're clearly not interested in listening to anyone else or actual discussion but rather just repeating yourself, this thread has become pointless.

Enjoy your "natural" burial. I'll enjoy my cremation.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Cremation for me.. it's not about economics either. I will be dead, I could care less The thought of being buried has always disturbed me. Take my viable organs & send me to the oven, lol...

Actually this is in my area & is perfect for what I want.

Burial at Sea in Living Coral Reefs and Luxury Ocean Scatterings

Just a day on a boat with my family dropping my ashes into the reef & *hopefully* remembering what a great wife & mother I was- all while having a margarita & a few laughs.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Since you're clearly not interested in listening to anyone else or actual discussion but rather just repeating yourself, this thread has become pointless.

Enjoy your "natural" burial. I'll enjoy my cremation.
I would choose natural burial because i believe that death is not the final end of life,my life is with nature,the natural process that created human life is a creative living force.

You choose cremation because you believe that death is the final end of life,it is not necessary to return the body to earth,so destroy it by burn it to gases and ashes.By thus doing the dead was really destroyed and is really the final end of life once for all.

http://img17.tianya.cn/Photo/2010/4/25/20605266_20540013.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 PM

494 posts, read 890,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
Death is a normal natural process,but cremation is the artificial destruction of the human body.and is the artificial destruction of things and processes that we don't really know.
Burial is to return the human body to nature.let it be handled by nature,even coffins are redundant.The dead thus blend naturally and be in one with nature and live forever with nature.By that we pay reverence to nature and things that we don't really know and also the greatest respect for the dead.
So why cremation?
The dead need no respect, what we do when we pay large sums to bury our dead is purely for the living. Dead people don't give a damn what happens to their corpses. Personally, I am going to be cremated, and my ashes split amongst many friends who will be instructed to do something funny or irreverent or exciting with them; whatever they please to do to remember me and how much pleasure I've gotten from life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.