Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

I truly believe being "nice" isn't natural for most. There is a massive difference between being nice and civil. I go on my days being civil until someone irks me. I don't go on my days being nice because that’s just not who I am. There is a reason why there are so many stupid politically correct, proper phone manners, etiquette, etc classes required when you work in an office.

I see being nice on the same level as respect. I am nice to those I respect. If I don't respect you, I'm not going to be nice to you. If I am indifferent, then I am civil but in no means will I go out of my way to be nice.

I'm told at work with what I do I should show more "empathy" on the phone which I don't really do well. I think doing the job as proper and fast as possible is more important than pretending I care more than I actually do.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I truly believe being "nice" isn't natural for most. There is a massive difference between being nice and civil. I go on my days being civil until someone irks me. I don't go on my days being nice because that’s just not who I am. There is a reason why there are so many stupid politically correct, proper phone manners, etiquette, etc classes required when you work in an office.

I see being nice on the same level as respect. I am nice to those I respect. If I don't respect you, I'm not going to be nice to you. If I am indifferent, then I am civil but in no means will I go out of my way to be nice.

I'm told at work with what I do I should show more "empathy" on the phone which I don't really do well. I think doing the job as proper and fast as possible is more important than pretending I care more than I actually do.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
You know what, I think this explains me pretty well too. Though I tend to respect/be nice until they prove they shouldn't get it. I also like small talk, with the cashier at the store, dude at the petrol station etc. In those cases I'm more than civil, I'd say.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
Yes the trump method works best screw the competitors before they *********, that's business.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
I actually like being nice to people but I have set boundaries as to how far I can go. I'm also very aware of people who think they can take advatange of this, and I always make sure to put them firmly in their places.

To Dub D, women like nice guys with the edge, not boring nice guys or doormats.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
What comes around goes around. I treat others how I expect to be treated, and quite frankly if someone is an a-hole, I won't give them the time of day, and they lose all credibility with me. That being said, it really isn't that hard to be nice to people, but by no means does that mean I am a push over. Besides, a little kindness can go a long way.

As for all the BS with trying to pick up girls, thank GOD I am married! No games, no drama. At least not with my wife.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Ok, I have thought about this for a bit.

I think it depends on what you do and what you want.

There is always going to be a boss or coworker that you may have to kill with kindness. And then: You draw more flies with honey than with vinegar.

If your work is gathering information or working with people who are never under prima donna circumstances when you meet with them. Niceness is then a competitive advantage.

In personal relationships, the bad boy is cute in high school or junior high. After that? It is way, way too much drama. Someone already mentioned this, nice does not equal doormat.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Well if you think about it, some of the most powerful nations in history were cruel and domineering such as Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and Imperial Japan. However, because they were this way, they didn't last too long.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:06 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
Yes, being nice works. Sometimes you have to be insistent, but that does not preclude being nice. I found that is true with work as well as in other areas.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I'd say most people would say I'm a nice guy, and I use it to my advantage.. the more people you get along the more likely people are to side with you, help you etc. , but I don't let people walk over me and I do what's best for me in the end.

The problem with the whole "nice guy doesnt get women" is the fact that people confuse nice guy with push over. That kind of guy doesn't get women because he is a *****.

In the end it comes down to simply respecting people, if you can't show respect chances are you aren't going to get very far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates