Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 03:46 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,834 times

Advertisements

We need a carnycentric school. How much self-respect can a kid of a carny have? Do you think the kid of a carny chooses the carny doll? No way. Yeah, a carnycentric school is what's needed. And let's not even talk about the kids of dunk tank clowns.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 05-16-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You asked twice why its important to focus on color but you have been told about 10 times why by me, as well as, others. Your question is rhetorical. Its really a statement of opinion formed on your part with absolutely no experience with the phenomnon.
You elaborated some on the subject, however mekia02 and MrSykes are the only ones I've registered going deeper into the matter in their replies to me. If your replies were missed, feel free to point them out.

I would still like some more insight as to why it's so important to instill pride and self respect as a group, instead of as individuals though. I'm not entirely blind to the reasons for it, MrSykes brought up some very good points, but any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Do you understand that state of the Public School system in the US? Its already effectly seperate and polorized. The Detroit public schools are probably 98% black and they teach the same curricula as majority white schools in the suburbs. Creating Afrocentric schools in Detroit is does not seperate the races because the races are already seperated. Detroit used to be a majority white city. Blacks moved in and whites moved to the suburbs. We integrate and they vacate. So you need to understand that we are not starting from an "integrated" school system, but rather, one that is already polorized. So do you have a problem with The city of Detoit turning one of its schools, or more, to an Afrocentric curriculm, since the schools are already all black? Nearly all Afrocentric schools are in cities where the school distric is already poloraized by being nearly all black. So my clear question to you is....in places that are already polorized...do you still have a problem with it...yes or no?
Yes, I do, and I think it's important to change that trend. I know a similar situation exists here to, and one of the suggestions have been to drive "minority children" to predominantly white schools and visa versa. I'm pretty sure that's not the solution, but it could be one tool, out of many, implementing it has it's challenges though.

Quote:
You offer no critism or plan with dealing with white racism, if you really believe that to be the source of the problem. Why don't you spend so time talking against what whites are doing as much as you spend time talking down what blacks are trying to do to counteract this racism?
Well I was trying to contain the comments primarily to the subject matter of afroamerican schools.

And I haven't, nor has it been my intention to "talk down" what blacks are trying to do, that's something you'll have to account for. Disagreeing and questioning something does not equate talking it down.

Racism exists in a plethora of different varieties. In some cases it's a matter of simple education, but primarily I think the best way is to confront it, discuss it, highlight the fallacies in their opinions. And to maintain a certain level of focus on it. Again, actually having mixed schools, less homeschooling and less segregation can aid in stopping parents prejudice being passed on to their kids.

In some situations (such as the blond twin girls who play hatesongs at neo-nazi meetings) I think it needs to be evaluated whether or not it's child abuse.

Really, education in one form or another is key, and I think dialogue is crucial.
That said, like I've said regarding this matter, change comes one person at the time, everyone needs to start with themselves and their close ones.

Quote:
Narcicism is inherent to nature. Its naturally and healthy. I hate to be crude, but defication is also natural....however, diarrhea is is problematic. white pride is diarrhea.
Well I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, but that's another discussion entirely.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Irish were slaves for a LONG time, why don't we need Irish-centric schools? Please reply
Bad example, The irish like many europeans are easily assimulated into this country just based on their skin color. Hell, if a person with Irish decent was approached by the klan or by any skinhead they would be welcomed with open arms even if they barely spoke english!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Whites simple do not respect the ramifications of history. Too many think that just because something ended....that the consquences or reactions ended as well. You don't have a CLUE!!!! I get sick of such ignorance as if you are experts in what we go through better than we are. Anyone want to debate that this TOO is a legacy of racism? How do you fix this without pushing "black pride"? Why would whites need white pride....based upon what is seen here? Of the various reason for high homicide rates in blacks.....conditioned self hatred is a big part. I experienced this exact same thing with my daughter....who is now 7. We deprogrammed her by teaching focusing our attention at getting her to appreciate "blackness" as something beautiful and great. We would have never had to preech "Black pride" if not for socially conditioned self disrespect.
Sorry buddy, but you lost me with your first sentence. I don't even need to read the rest of the post to know that it's crap.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,380 times
Mr. Indentured Servant, I come from a mixed heritage background and could not disagree with you more. Seems to me you and people like you are the ones who are racist. All the liberal bias towards white people and their heritage, does nothing more than feed into the theory that liberals are just that...racist! It seems like in your eyes, white people are the scurge of society and need to be DEALT with. You are something else. We all are in this melting pot together, so get used to it. My next door neighbor who is from Senegal cannot stand American blacks. Neither can his family back home in Africa. Wonder why? It is because of the prevailing attitude that many in American black society have towards themselves and other races and nationalities...the hatered and the self loathing. My boss who is of Ethopian desent feels the same way. Please stop your racist hater speech and learn to live among other peoples peacefully.....thank you!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,703,443 times
[quote=TheViking85;14203045]You elaborated some on the subject, however mekia02 and MrSykes are the only ones I've registered going deeper into the matter in their replies to me. If your replies were missed, feel free to point them out.

Well....thosee two were pretty elequent and accurate....so if you still don't understand....I doubt that you ever will....because you smiply cannot relate. Maybe you just really want the conversation and not really looking for the understanding, as an understanding would mean a close in the conversation.

I would still like some more insight as to why it's so important to instill pride and self respect as a group, instead of as individuals though. I'm not entirely blind to the reasons for it, MrSykes brought up some very good points, but any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Because we have historically existed as groups, clans and tribes. Why do you identify as "Viking"? You are demonstrating your clan. Obviously you don't see yourself as JUST an invidual, but also, part of the Viking or Nordic Clan of people. So why was it important for you to indentify as a Vicking but you have a probleem with the ideal of people needing a group identity? Moreover, I am sure you also identify yourself as Norwegian and a lot of other group associations when it.....servers your purpous. When you are out of country....what do you tell people? "I am from Norway....I am Norwegian....etc"...no doubt.

Yes, I do, and I think it's important to change that trend. I know a similar situation exists here to, and one of the suggestions have been to drive "minority children" to predominantly white schools and visa versa. I'm pretty sure that's not the solution, but it could be one tool, out of many, implementing it has it's challenges though.

You cannot reverse a trend that you don't have the power to reverse. Again, you need to offer solutions for white people to change the pattern of their behavior. LIke I said before, place that are majority black now were once majority whites....but whites moved away when we came to stay. Black would be foolish to continue to try to integrate when whites obviously do not. So unless you got some solution to keep whites from running away from blacks, your desire to see blacks grow from Afrocentric schools is in effect racist....because it helps keep blacks down. I don't think you are a racist, but the effect of your beliefs negatively hurts blacks, as you would have us give up something that works for us....in an attempt to chase white folks only to have them move away from us again in the long run. As is often said....."That is mighty white of you".

Well I was trying to contain the comments primarily to the subject matter of afroamerican schools.

And I haven't, nor has it been my intention to "talk down" what blacks are trying to do, that's something you'll have to account for. Disagreeing and questioning something does not equate talking it down.

That is never the intention of whites....but it seems to always happen.

Racism exists in a plethora of different varieties. In some cases it's a matter of simple education, but primarily I think the best way is to confront it, discuss it, highlight the fallacies in their opinions. And to maintain a certain level of focus on it. Again, actually having mixed schools, less homeschooling and less segregation can aid in stopping parents prejudice being passed on to their kids.

Not when whites take their kids out of these schools because too many minorities start attending. I don't think you have a clue to the nature of how things work in the USA. They once had forced busing in this country to promote integration. Those schools are now nearly all black and whites move to different districts or put their kids in private schools. What you say simply represents a lack of understanding of the US. I would suggest reading up a little before you forward such utopian ideals.

In some situations (such as the blond twin girls who play hatesongs at neo-nazi meetings) I think it needs to be evaluated whether or not it's child abuse.

Really, education in one form or another is key, and I think dialogue is crucial.
That said, like I've said regarding this matter, change comes one person at the time, everyone needs to start with themselves and their close ones.

Yes...and I think you need education about how things work in the USA and how blacks have been attempting to integrate for the longest. We have to do what works. I could care less about integration if it meant that black poverty and violence would be greatly reduced. You seem less conscerned about the condition that black people are in and need help with than you are about some idealic integration with whites....when whites have not and will not accept it.

Well I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, but that's another discussion entirely.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-16-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Mr. Indentured Servant, I come from a mixed heritage background and could not disagree with you more. Seems to me you and people like you are the ones who are racist. All the liberal bias towards white people and their heritage, does nothing more than feed into the theory that liberals are just that...racist! It seems like in your eyes, white people are the scurge of society and need to be DEALT with. You are something else. We all are in this melting pot together, so get used to it. My next door neighbor who is from Senegal cannot stand American blacks. Neither can his family back home in Africa. Wonder why? It is because of the prevailing attitude that many in American black society have towards themselves and other races and nationalities...the hatered and the self loathing. My boss who is of Ethopian desent feels the same way. Please stop your racist hater speech and learn to live among other peoples peacefully.....thank you!
I too have noticed a MARKED difference between blacks whose families have lived in the United States for many years, and blacks who are recent immigrants.

The blacks who are more recent immigrants are here doing EXACTLY and PRECISELY what the "Americanized" blacks say is impossible.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,703,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I too have noticed a MARKED difference between blacks whose families have lived in the United States for many years, and blacks who are recent immigrants.

The blacks who are more recent immigrants are here doing EXACTLY and PRECISELY what the "Americanized" blacks say is impossible.
More hyperbole strawman. I have been to Africa several times and my best friends in my new adopted State are Africans. So be very careful with your conjecture.

No one has ever said that things were impossible to achieve. Had you really cared you would have really listened. What has been said is that the history of racism in the US has impacted blacks in such a way that it keeps them down. The mental state of the American black has been greatly damaged by years of white racism. Africans coming from Africa, notwithstanding colonization, are much more grounded and confident culturally. They have a foundation of culture to build off....but America stripped the black slaves of their culture, their dignity, their humanity and a host of other things. Thus, the African coming to this country doing well demonstrates that black people who have not been immersed for a long period of time with whites.....do better than those who have lived centuries with whites. So actually your point is an indictment of the long term impact of white exposure upon blacks.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Seems to me that some people just like being the victim. Instead of moving forward and working with others to make this a better country, they'd rather play the vicitim card and see what they can get out of it.

Not a single person left in this country was an 1800s slave, so not a single person can claim any stake as a victim. Seems it's people like you that enjoy keeping the country fired up though, to see what they can get out of it. Must be easier than working hard like the rest of the Americans. And no, not the 'whites', the Americans, regardless of their descent.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
More hyperbole strawman. I have been to Africa several times and my best friends in my new adopted State are Africans. So be very careful with your conjecture.

No one has ever said that things were impossible to achieve. Had you really cared you would have really listened. What has been said is that the history of racism in the US has impacted blacks in such a way that it keeps them down. The mental state of the American black has been greatly damaged by years of white racism. Africans coming from Africa, notwithstanding colonization, are much more grounded and confident culturally. They have a foundation of culture to build off....but America stripped the black slaves of their culture, their dignity, their humanity and a host of other things. Thus, the African coming to this country doing well demonstrates that black people who have not been immersed for a long period of time with whites.....do better than those who have lived centuries with whites.
Look... It's obvious to everybody reading this thread that you have a giant racist cob up your butt.

The MAIN problem 21st Century American blacks face is this: EXCUSES.

Grow up buddy. You make your own history by your own choices. I personally live in a black neighborhood, and am literally right next door to an Afro-Centric Elementary School. I can tell you - absolutely without question - that success or failure among modern American blacks depends on whether or not they're taking personal responsibility for themselves. Nothing more and nothing less. The reason I absolutely love my neighborhood is because I'm surrounded by people - most of them black - who have simply decided to work hard, make good choices, and be good people. Unlike you, they are not angry racists. They're just good people who don't think the world owes them everything!

And let's dispense with this crap about how racism has ruined blacks. YOUR problem with racism is that YOU are a raging, blindly-hateful racist. How's that working out for you?

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 05-16-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates