Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Raids are increasing on farms and private food-supply clubs—here are 5 tips for surviving one | Grist

Natural food is getting harder and harder to get.
I can understand having inspections to determine if the property and products are clean and free from toxins, but really must they do this sort of thing?

Why exactly can we not buy unpasturized milk if we chooze to.

It is still OK for commercial growers to souse their fields with tons of pesticides and fungacides, much of which remains in and on the produce and CANNOT be washed off. They can inject hormones in to cattle and feed it to the chickens and that's OK too. Yet these farmers who want to raise a Natural product are harrassed constantly.
Why?

And really why do they take computers?
What exactly do they look for there?
And having done this and examined them why do they not give them back?

---Why exactly can we not buy unpasteurized milk if we chooze to--------

Read paragraph 9 of the link you supplied.

There is your answer.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,287,270 times
marmac:
Quote:
Why should I provide links ?

The OP has a link that you didn't even bother reading ( and about which this threasd is based)

If you won't take the time to read a link in the OP, why should I bother posting links?

9th paragraph of the OP's link.
Read it before you ask for more links that you refuse to read .

Quote:
The Minnesota Department of Agriculture has declined comment on such raids, saying they are part of an ongoing investigation into raw milk distribution in the state in lieu of eight illnesses in May linked to raw milk.
Paragraph nine. Pretty vague. Ongoing investigation. Nothing proven or presented in court, or confirmed at all. Got a link to your claims? Something that would let people know that you are a disinterested and neutral party?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Both KSTP TV and the Minneapolis Tribune have done articles on a specific Gibbon MN dairy farmer who had 3 cases of e-coli traced directly back to his farm

He used to sell his milk to an organic processor but his quality of milk was so bad he copuldn't meet minimum standards.

He also got his permit to sell milk pulled.

Lucky for him, he found gullible raw milk buyers who are so overjoyed they ask no questions.( cover eyes,cover ears.....see no evil,hear no evil )

Too bad packing plants couldn't find gullible customers to buy carcasses they condemn.

It appears packing plants have more integrity than that farmer selling his rejected milk.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,956,329 times
11 confirmed, 7 suspected of contracting e.coli from pasteurized milk in Helena, MT 1994 (no kids in this one)
Outbreak of Acute Gastroenteritis Attributable to Escherichia coli Serotype O104:H21 -- Helena, Montana, 1994

5 confirmed of contracting Listeria from pastuerized milk in Massachutsetts, 2007 (only the elderly this time)
Outbreak of <I>Listeria monocytogenes</I> Infections Associated with Pasteurized Milk from a Local Dairy --- Massachusetts, 2007

The CDC go on to say in another controlled case study on salmonella-related outbreaks
Quote:
Despite the important public health gains achieved, outbreaks associated with pasteurized milk continue to occur (1-3).

http://www.cdc.gov/enterics/publicat...ilkEID2004.pdf

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-22-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: formatting errors

Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

20,730 posts, read 19,392,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Big difference between a prostitute with VD and contaminated dairy/produce. Food-bourne illnesses are not communicable diseases, unlike VD. Also, the prostitute cannot mix her vagina with thousands of others and ship it to a million customers who've never had a look at her.

[[ Edit - Contagious TB can be spread through food, but the food is just a disease vector, not the origin ]]

I think most of us who are voicing out against banning *all* raw milk sales are in agreement with the regulations and restrictions enforced on large-scale, distributed, commercial dairy... what we are arguing is that these regulations and restrictions are not as applicable to small, local producers who direct-sell to their clients and certainly not appliable to small, local co-ops/CSA *UNLESS* a problem actually occurs. The difference being that the consumers of supermarket milk have absolutely no idea where the milk comes from and have limited alternatives available; a local direct-sell/co-op/CSA consumer knows exactly where the milk comes from and has actively opted-in to purchasing it regardless of the perceived or actual risks in doing so.

In many states, small-scale producers and their supporters ARE trying to get the laws changed, or the current exemptions preserved... this is no easy task against multi-billion dollar corporate cartels and your own government.

Enforcement of overwhelming regulations that are not reasonably applicable to a given scale operation is a form of entry barrier, which is a anti-competitive practice sanctioned by the government in collusion with one or more corporate entities to keep smaller or new businesses out of the competitive space by making it excessively difficult and/or expensive to start-up.

Hi MissingAll4Seasons

Again this is well stated. Pasteurization was instituted before milk could be practically tested for pathogens. How long did people use raw milk? Thousands of years and only now its "safe" though pasteurization? How many deaths are caused by alcohol? We simply have a a dominant cartel dictating to the market. The reason why its banned is because its institutionalized and overwrought, not because it will cause more deaths than recreational water sports. Either way, I know I could use it safely with hard cheeses just like I don't chew on oleander they plant all over the highways.

I certainly think heat is a great tool. I use it for canning, and I have a taste for quite a few wild pot herbs. Everything in its place.

I will agree the the guy selling bad raw milk should be stopped and charged with any criminal act. However hard cases have little to do with how raw milk is viewed. I also suspect raw milk in an environment that does not depend on pasteurization, would be safe as long as it was not a race to the bottom. It can be tested in the pipeline, and its no different than anyone with faulty pasteurization equipment.

It is an economic rule established players don't like change. They are built for scale, not change. That means MBAs and bureaucrats running the big companies are forced compete outside their "skill set". The life cycle of a company is innovation, growth, and efficiency. Each stage requires different skills. They cannot innovate, and they know it. So they do what they do best, play a game of 52 document pickup.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM

I totally agree Gwynn.

The added benefit to food safety from pasteurization alone is not conclusive (all tests have been conducted in addition to proper sanitation and hygiene). Additionally, pasteurization in NOT a guarantee that the milk is safe unto itself as continued outbreaks of pasteurized milk consumers proves.

I also agree that the current regulations are anti-competitive in many cases, and the majority of the "raw milk issue" is political in nature.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,413,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Both KSTP TV and the Minneapolis Tribune have done articles on a specific Gibbon MN dairy farmer who had 3 cases of e-coli traced directly back to his farm

He used to sell his milk to an organic processor but his quality of milk was so bad he copuldn't meet minimum standards.

He also got his permit to sell milk pulled.

Lucky for him, he found gullible raw milk buyers who are so overjoyed they ask no questions.( cover eyes,cover ears.....see no evil,hear no evil )

Too bad packing plants couldn't find gullible customers to buy carcasses they condemn.

It appears packing plants have more integrity than that farmer selling his rejected milk.
WOW, you just keep beating that dead horse don't ya?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM

and his customers from Minneapolis covered their eyes, covered their ears ( like monkeys) and refused to believe that the milk source they used had no processor in the entire state who wanted his rejected milk.

I'll bet that farmer could sell then fresh cow pies and convince them they were eating chocolate pies.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Most humans are inherently gullible... we're so gullible that we believe whatever our "authorities" tell us, even though they haven't actually conclusively proven the assumptions they make in their statements. We are so gullible that we continue to believe the "authorities" assertions unquestioningly despite historical conclusive evidence that they are fallible and that their errors have caused illness and death (DDT, Thalidomide, etc).

One could argue that pasteurization makes our food inherently more dangerous because we are so gullible as to believe the authority position that we ignore the fact that contamination can happen before or after pasteurization or the pre-pasteurization contamination can be so great that the process does not adequately reduce the pathogens. It is entirely probable that a large number of food-bourne illnesses could have been prevented if the consumer did not believe the food was safe and therefore did not take additional safety measures.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,040,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
WOW, you just keep beating that dead horse don't ya?
Its actually become amusing in a strange way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living