Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,429,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Site your data. It's common statistical analysis but hey, if here in the "internet" its easy to just make stuff up.

POST YOUR SOURCE or I think your post (notice Im not attacking the poster) is full of "imagination".

I'm waiting.
Hi Mathguy

I need a source to prove that tobacco is not a political hairball? I consider that a priori. I also do not remember going after statical analysis in particular but only citing the example that orthodoxy is a cause of blindness. I am also aware of the debating tactical idea to sway the context into a sphere where you are comfortable, relevance notwithstanding. Mathguy wants to talk about math not surprisingly. Its a rhetorical gimmick. You will not salvage your boot from the muck doing this.

And since I frequently do post sources, and my own in depth personal experiences, I find myself wondering why I should dance for you. Your one line wonders do not deserve it.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 07-26-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,971,283 times
You have something that actively destroys muscle and other soft tissue, puts extreme stress on the skeletal system and connective tissue, taxes every major organ, releases massive quantities of free radicals, is capable of enducing chemical euphoria to the point where it is potentially addictive, has caused or contributed to verfiable death and injury (both chronic and acute)...

Should this thing be banned? Should practictioners and participants be persecuted and/or prosecuted?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,637,910 times
They raided this natural/vegan store in Venice that my neighbor goes to. From what I understand, it's legal for stores in California to sell raw milk as long as retailers & their dairies have the proper permits & meet certain thresholds for coliform bacteria. But i heard that it's expensive & time-consuming for small farms to comply (kind of like getting full Organic certification). Moreover, I think it's very costly for small markets/co-ops to buy commercial liability insurance to cover damages from an outbreak. That's why so many retailers operate on the black market, selling raw milk under the table like drugs.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
That's why so many retailers operate on the black market, selling raw milk under the table like drugs.
pst buddy, got any gruyere, I'm seriously jonesing man!

Since I grew up in Europe where most cheeses aren't made from pasteurized milks, I can state with absolute confidence that it does change the flavor and texture. In pure cheese-making, you cannot say that you have made a certain type of cheese unless you make it with the exact recipe (including the milk type). In many countries in Europe, you can't even label it "gruyere", you have to say it's "gruyere-style", if you use pasteurized milk (as one example).

Old 07-30-2010, 04:58 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,980,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The irony is dripping off this post. Those crazy peer-reviewed articles by PHD's from places like the University of Chicago? Certainly they have screwed up and someone that took stats 100 at the local JUCO can set them straight. LMAO.

Oh yes, because epidemiological research is so "scientific"!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Here is what I don't get---------many posters try to downplay strict inspections and standards ( store bought milk) by claiming that is no guarantee of safety.

Let's look at the safety factor and we see the incidents of documented illness caused by unregulated raw milk to be thousands time higher per capita than incidents of regulated ( store bought milk ).

And what is the response from the raw milk advocates?-----let's do away with testing.

Great idea ! ( sarc)
Maybe we should do away with reporting illness caused by raw milk .

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,294,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Here is what I don't get---------many posters try to downplay strict inspections and standards ( store bought milk) by claiming that is no guarantee of safety.

Let's look at the safety factor and we see the incidents of documented illness caused by unregulated raw milk to be thousands time higher per capita than incidents of regulated ( store bought milk ).

And what is the response from the raw milk advocates?-----let's do away with testing.

Great idea ! ( sarc)
Maybe we should do away with reporting illness caused by raw milk .

Ignorance is bliss.
You either misunderstand or are deliberately misstating what many posters have said. Let me spell it out simply. If raw milk is legal, then the farms that supply it can be monitored and unscrupulous farmers will be exposed just as they are with pasteurized and homogenized milk. Overall safety would be increased and people would be able to buy according to their preferences.

Can you cite stats for illnesses from regulated raw milk? No, because it isn't available. You clearly have a financial stake in this argument, and deliberately obfuscate the discussion.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You either misunderstand or are deliberately misstating what many posters have said. Let me spell it out simply. If raw milk is legal, then the farms that supply it can be monitored and unscrupulous farmers will be exposed just as they are with pasteurized and homogenized milk. Overall safety would be increased and people would be able to buy according to their preferences.

Can you cite stats for illnesses from regulated raw milk? No, because it isn't available. You clearly have a financial stake in this argument, and deliberately obfuscate the discussion.

Here is an analogy------Would fast foods selling raw hamburgers be safe if only monitored and inspected?

I would say the culprit is in the word--raw

We have learned cooking hamburgers and pasterizing milk are major steps in food safety.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 AM

I have no issue with regulation and testing as long as it is appropriate to the scale of my operation and my consumer base, and does not create a fiscal or logistic barrier to entry.

Small-scale, direct-to-consumer, local dairy producers need a reasonable list of standards to comply with... telling what is expected, but not how to obtain it. On-farm testing should be acceptable for quality purposes, and test result records should be kept on-farm. Any laboratory testing required should be inexpensive and infrequent. Registration (free) should be required, but a new low-cost license specifically for small-scale producers needs to be instated that covers all the aspects one could reasonably expect (producer, processor, retailer, etc) rather than requiring a seperate license (and fee!) for each aspect. Appropriate labeling should be required.

Here's an outline of a regulated small-scale raw milk scenario (specifically CSA)
Dairy Standards - The Raw Milk Association of Colorado

Here's an example of milk "guidelines" that present a barrier to entry for a small-scale producer:
http://wnww.mda.state.mn.us/news/publications/food/dairyproducts/milkprocguide.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM

78,809 posts, read 61,019,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Mathguy

I need a source to prove that tobacco is not a political hairball? I consider that a priori. I also do not remember going after statical analysis in particular but only citing the example that orthodoxy is a cause of blindness. I am also aware of the debating tactical idea to sway the context into a sphere where you are comfortable, relevance notwithstanding. Mathguy wants to talk about math not surprisingly. Its a rhetorical gimmick. You will not salvage your boot from the muck doing this.

And since I frequently do post sources, and my own in depth personal experiences, I find myself wondering why I should dance for you. Your one line wonders do not deserve it.
Ah, so my request for supporting factual information was some sort of gimmick. Ah yes, the trickery of asking the poster for facts relating to their claims.

Dancing is all you have done in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living