Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:12 AM

78,986 posts, read 61,161,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
This would be quite a feat, and would get under the minimum wage rules, if you could get them to wear diapers.

Not really and not relevant to my point and bacteria contamination is not limited to cow flop either.

Perhaps you did not write what you thought you wrote.

"Raw milk in particular is really easy to contaminate"

I would like to know exactly what rational criteria you have to argue that raw milk is easier to contaminate than pasteurized milk or anything else for that matter?

How does pasteurization reduce contaminant risk post pasteurization?

Unless we live under a different set of physical laws (or you do not understand how pasteurization functions) pasteurization plays no role in controlling contamination post pasteurization. Nor does it entirely eliminate contamination prior to pasteurization.

Now I would agree with the following statements...
Milk in particular is a perfect bacterial growth medium

Raw milk has a higher risk of containing pathogenic bacteria at infectious levels.

No I think that the misunderstanding is that I cannot see how "raw milk in particular is really easy to contaminate" than anything else. "To contaminate" is an active verb, thus we must assume that it was not contaminated before, or that any prior contamination is not relevant to the statement.
You really could have wrote all that earlier instead of being a jerk about things....I made a poorly worded statement which prompted you to make an equally poorly worded statement (go back and look) when we pretty much 100% agree on the issue. Way to contribute to the thread.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,977,454 times
In a way, this latest wording/grammar argument is relevant to the thread; as many anti or pro messages are worded or structured such that they are either incorrect (as stated) or accidentally/intentionally misleading. If people trust the source, they may believe exactly what was stated, not the whole truth or what was meant.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Hmmm, seems like wording could also give goat & sheep dairies a loophole... since the majority of "raw milk" laws and regulations apply to "milk" which is defined in those laws as the lacteal secretions of cows.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 AM

78,986 posts, read 61,161,318 times
Hey, I'm 100% in favor of people being able to consume what they like and reap the benefits\consequences thereof.

However, when a place gets raided I don't want to hear raw food religious zealots screaming about corporate oppression unless they have solid facts.

In fact, with raw foods getting so popular right now there are going to be a lot of scumbags coming out of the woodwork to profit off of it, (like the dairy guy whose milk was poor quality so he couldn't sell it through the normal channels.)

The thing happened to the vitamin craze where companies out of mexico were selling pills with inert ingrediants labeled as xyz vitamins and when they are cracked down on the "religious faithful" come pouring out to blame the government for protecting big corporations etc.

Oh well, I'm off to buy gallons of cheap processed honey so I can pour it into jars and sell it for 4x the price as "natural". Not really....just making a point to be cautious as ANY hot topic\field attracts the profiteers.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Agreed, Mathguy! There are unscrupulous people everywhere who are willing to make a buck no matter who it harms. It's one aspect of the new popular "Green Movement" that I find disheartening... you take something that has nothing but good intentions, then add profiteers to it, and it starts to diminish things. Mind you, making a profit isn't a sin; but whenever profit margins get involved, cutting corners (and thereby quality!) to reduce input costs almost invariably follows. It's definitely "Buyer Beware".

Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,253,475 times
and it could simply be solved if people asked questions.

Where did you use to sell your milk?
What was your lab test rresults from that organic processor ?
Why are you no longer selling there ?

The problem is many buyers of raw milk don't want to know those answers as it conflicts with their preconcieved notions.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,301,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
and it could simply be solved if people asked questions.

Where did you use to sell your milk?
What was your lab test rresults from that organic processor ?
Why are you no longer selling there ?

The problem is many buyers of raw milk don't want to know those answers as it conflicts with their preconcieved notions.
Actually I don't think that it's only buyers of raw milk, it's buyers of food period. FDA/USDA provide a minimum baseline only, and I'm not convinced that those regulations are particularly safe either (looking at food safety recalls over the past 10 years).

When was the last time that someone asked in a grocery store where some spinach was grown, or which dairy milk was produced at, or where some beef was slaughtered? Whether that grocery store be Kroger, Walmart, Whole foods, or birkenstock wearing local organic store.

In general people don't want to know where or how there food is grown, as long as it looks pretty (or at least edible) sitting on the store shelf.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,253,475 times
apples to oranges

If I buy milk in a grocery store , I can be assured that farmer had lab samples taken every time his milk left the farm .

I can be assured that twice a year the state inspector visited his farm, did an inspection, and took a water sample from the well.

I can be assured that state inspectors are monitoring processing plants and documentaions of tests are being done.

Can you state the same when/if you go to some friendly guy's farm and are impressed because he wears a floppy hat and blasts the government ?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,296,752 times
Quote:
apples to oranges

If I buy milk in a grocery store , I can be assured that farmer had lab samples taken every time his milk left the farm .

I can be assured that twice a year the state inspector visited his farm, did an inspection, and took a water sample from the well.

I can be assured that state inspectors are monitoring processing plants and documentaions of tests are being done.

Can you state the same when/if you go to some friendly guy's farm and are impressed because he wears a floppy hat and blasts the government ?
If raw dairy was legal you could still be assured of all these things.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
apples to oranges

To return your quote -- apples to oranges...

What I can tell visiting my local farmer:
The animals aren't sick
The animals are properly cared for
They, themselves, aren't sick
Their family and workers aren't sick
The crops aren't diseased
They grow/raise in a manner that I agree with
Their facilities are clean and well maintained
Their production practices are sanitary and hygienic
Their well is properly located and maintained and the water smells/tastes clean
Everyone who is involved in the process before it gets in my hands
Whether or not the farmer seems shady and sets off my spidey-sense

If no person, animal or crop is unhealthy in the operation it is reasonable to assume that the water and foodstuffs are safe... even without testing. If there were a rampant infection or contamination going on, someone or something in the operation would have visible signs of illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living