Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,652,526 times

Advertisements

The Despicable REason Behind Raw Milk Bans

Raw Milk Bans are About Protecting Big Dairy

While no one has died in Massachusetts because of raw milk, three people died in 2007 from Listeriosis from pasteurized milk.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Prostitution was mentioned a few posts back and there is a great analogy.

Supposed a state allowed regulated prostitution to only be conducteed in a houses of prostitution that was licensed and inspected. ( analogy to milk processing plant)

Along comes a prostitute who want to work there, but she flunks the phyical as beeing deemed to have VD. ( analogy to the MN farmers whose milk got rejected by the processor)

Now, both the prostitute and dairy farmer , whose milk got rejected, need to make money.

The prostitute decides to set up business out of her house ( illegal)
The dairy farmer decides to sell his rejected milk to raw milk buyers ( illegal )

Both keep quiet about the real reason they are operating out of their home.

Both realize they need to find gullible customers who will pay them top dollar for a product that got rejected for health issues.

Yup, as PT Barnum said------" Ther is a sucker born every minute "

Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
The Despicable REason Behind Raw Milk Bans

Raw Milk Bans are About Protecting Big Dairy

While no one has died in Massachusetts because of raw milk, three people died in 2007 from Listeriosis from pasteurized milk.

??????????? your point is

How many people in Massachusets are drinking raw milk ?

How many people in Massachusetts are drinking oasteurized milk ?

Reverse those numbers and we'll see how safe raw milk is !

Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,971,283 times
Big difference between a prostitute with VD and contaminated dairy/produce. Food-bourne illnesses are not communicable diseases, unlike VD. Also, the prostitute cannot mix her vagina with thousands of others and ship it to a million customers who've never had a look at her.

[[ Edit - Contagious TB can be spread through food, but the food is just a disease vector, not the origin ]]

I think most of us who are voicing out against banning *all* raw milk sales are in agreement with the regulations and restrictions enforced on large-scale, distributed, commercial dairy... what we are arguing is that these regulations and restrictions are not as applicable to small, local producers who direct-sell to their clients and certainly not appliable to small, local co-ops/CSA *UNLESS* a problem actually occurs. The difference being that the consumers of supermarket milk have absolutely no idea where the milk comes from and have limited alternatives available; a local direct-sell/co-op/CSA consumer knows exactly where the milk comes from and has actively opted-in to purchasing it regardless of the perceived or actual risks in doing so.

In many states, small-scale producers and their supporters ARE trying to get the laws changed, or the current exemptions preserved... this is no easy task against multi-billion dollar corporate cartels and your own government.

Enforcement of overwhelming regulations that are not reasonably applicable to a given scale operation is a form of entry barrier, which is a anti-competitive practice sanctioned by the government in collusion with one or more corporate entities to keep smaller or new businesses out of the competitive space by making it excessively difficult and/or expensive to start-up.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-21-2010 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,100,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Prostitution comes to mind.
Quote:
Prostitution was mentioned a few posts back and there is a great analogy.
Good Lord, he is quoting himself.
I hope he realizes that just makes him look utterly ridiculous. (Yes, the pun is there on purpose, because how can one take this seriously?)

Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
If a person is not under duress, not being forced or exploited, and is of sufficient mental faculty to make such decisions, and they have voluntarily chosen to peform sexual service for someone else who is willing to pay for it... I see no reason why it should be considered a crime.

In a multitude of cultures, both current and historic, prostitution was not a dishonorable profession nor illegal. Just because our puritanical moral roots are showing doesn't mean that something we personally don't approve of should be against the law. We have the choice not to partake or be involved, but it's not our right to make that choice for others who don't share our views simply because we don't like it.
Referring to this post.
This post about prostitution was much longer than mine.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Referring to this post.
This post about prostitution was much longer than mine.
But you made the analogy first, Missingall4seasons was replying to you.
You have ceased to have ANY credibility, you might as well be a lobbyist for the dairy industry.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM

I own a legal dairy farm.

You ?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I own a legal dairy farm.

You ?
Your motives just became crystal clear.
You ARE the food police.
Oh, my farm? Organic produce and herbs.
Raw goats milk for our own consumption.
And I bet my milking shed is cleaner than your house.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 PM

I didn't get my dairy knowledge from reading myths , distortions, and lies in a homesteader magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living