Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times

Advertisements

Some 50-60 yrs ago LA county in Calif had backyard incinerators. We would burn our paper etc and the weekly trash pick up was small. Later they outlawed them as the cause of the smog/smoke in the basin.

Kicker is that the Indians called the LA basin "Valley of smoke". The mountains held back any smog/smoke that was blown from the ocean. This smoke is a normal considering the area.

The increase of cars and the massive Fwy system did help the smog issue to a degree and of course they implemented the annual car emmision inspection which still exists.

Personally after finding that I had paid a small deposit on some bottle items I quit buying the product as it cost me more to recycle and spend money for gas to return the bottles then it was worth. I have boycotted many items and still survive.

The USPS has a ton of junk mail every day that gets the same hand handling as 1st class mail. All that paper is going to waste and filling the trash bins and waste dumps. If they were to discontinue 3rd class mail the revenue would be lower but so would the land fill. Maybe the PO would be able to operate better and save some money.

Just thinking here...never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 AM

57,378 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
If you really want to feel better, why not just relax and realize that what your neighbors do with their cardboard boxes is not your concern and certainly not something to work yourself into a "makes me nuts" kind of frenzy - unless, of course, they're throwing it into your front yard.

If you're an "old 60s type", you remember a much simpler and saner world - a world where you could spend a relaxing afternoon or two or three with no thought whatsoever given to your neighbors' cardboard disposition. And yet you still lived with yourself and life went on!

Remember those days? We dealt with our real problems and considered them to be quite sufficient. We felt no need to dream up imaginary crises to supplement them and would have told fringe activist groups attempting to impose delusional panic upon us to go jump in a lake.

I you really want to feel better, recapture that sane perspective we once had. Relax. Tune out the crazies. Dispose of your cardboard as you see fit and leave your neighbors alone unless they're shooing their dog over to your back yard when they let it out for relief.

The planet will survive. Trust me.
You mean the old days where we used to throw out everything in landfills that are now closed. This is not an imaginary problem on the east coast and some of the big cities, what your neighbor does will effect you. They are increasing bulk disposal costs by not recycling and without enforcement some citizens will never recycle.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,737,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You mean the old days where we used to throw out everything in landfills that are now closed. This is not an imaginary problem on the east coast and some of the big cities, what your neighbor does will effect you. They are increasing bulk disposal costs by not recycling and without enforcement some citizens will never recycle.
I have lived in large metropolitan areas all my life - many different ones - 60 years worth - and what my neighbors do with their trash has never affected me in the slightest.

It is their business and I keep my nose out of it....and I expect them (and you) to keep your nose out of mine.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,237 times
Quote:
I have lived in large metropolitan areas all my life - many different ones - 60 years worth - and what my neighbors do with their trash has never affected me in the slightest.

It is their business and I keep my nose out of it....and I expect them (and you) to keep your nose out of mine.
This and Nomander's rants are pointless, as it flies in the face that everything in nature is connected, and that's a fact.

Pollution in China moves with the wind, polluting the water affects crops in addition to drinking water supplies, etc.

How many of you "what I'm doing doesn't affect you" folks would be singing a different tune if your mother had been afflicted with something like this:

Thalidomide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The list of these kinds of issues is endless. Here's a recent one near me, I have a close friend who has a child with symptoms:

Fact Sheet - Crestwood Public Drinking Water Supply Contamination, Crestwood, Illinois

Sorry, your right to throw a punch ends where my nose begins.

And as for "looking for solutions," hilarious - I do that all the time, locally, where it counts.

But fighting the malevolent forces which knowingly spread disinformation is also a public service. And I won't be stopping that any time soon.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
This and Nomander's rants are pointless, as it flies in the face that everything in nature is connected, and that's a fact.

Pollution in China moves with the wind, polluting the water affects crops in addition to drinking water supplies, etc.

How many of you "what I'm doing doesn't affect you" folks would be singing a different tune if your mother had been afflicted with something like this:

Thalidomide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The list of these kinds of issues is endless. Here's a recent one near me, I have a close friend who has a child with symptoms:

Fact Sheet - Crestwood Public Drinking Water Supply Contamination, Crestwood, Illinois

Sorry, your right to throw a punch ends where my nose begins.

And as for "looking for solutions," hilarious - I do that all the time, locally, where it counts.

But fighting the malevolent forces which knowingly spread disinformation is also a public service. And I won't be stopping that any time soon.
Uhhhhhh....let's be clear....you're the one throwing the punches. And in this PC era you're accustomed to people going down like bowling pins in the face of your onslaught of eco-fanatical edicts.

But some of us dare defend ourselves and our freedom from your micro managerial control. And we won't be stopping that anytime soon either.

You've heard the story of the little boy who cried wolf?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM

57,378 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Uhhhhhh....let's be clear....you're the one throwing the punches. And in this PC era you're accustomed to people going down like bowling pins in the face of your onslaught of eco-fanatical edicts.

But some of us dare defend ourselves and our freedom from your micro managerial control. And we won't be stopping that anytime soon either.

You've heard the story of the little boy who cried wolf?
You don't believe landfills pollute goundwater and lack of recycling doesn't increase your solid waste cost? Plenty of examples of pollution from land fills both above and below ground. Do you recall the river that caught on fire near Buffalo back in the 1960's because of illegal dumping? Maybe we should have just let nature take its course.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,237 times
Quote:
Uhhhhhh....let's be clear....you're the one throwing the punches.
How so? I can't help it if you have chosen to take personally factual acknowledgments of the numerous ways we've poisoned the soil and water. Nobody is 100% guilt-free here, but some of us are trying to better the situation.

So if you want to be clear, the problem lies with the polluters - now, if you defend someone's right to pollute, and if you want to call polluting a "right," you bet we've got problems. Feel free to pull out the Constitution and/or Bill of Rights to back your position.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
How so? I can't help it if you have chosen to take personally factual acknowledgments of the numerous ways we've poisoned the soil and water. Nobody is 100% guilt-free here, but some of us are trying to better the situation.

So if you want to be clear, the problem lies with the polluters - now, if you defend someone's right to pollute, and if you want to call polluting a "right," you bet we've got problems. Feel free to pull out the Constitution and/or Bill of Rights to back your position.
The problem with those who share your mindset is that you don't see or understand any difference between living and polluting. You have been blowing all matters ecological so far out of proportion for so long that normal people with families to feed and real daily challenges to face just don't give you the time of day any more.

The founders had the good fortune of living more than 200 years before the era of the eco-fanatic. The last thing they felt necessary was to include ground rules in the Constitution and Bill of Rights for dealing with people so hallucinatory that they are convinced they must monitor their neighbors trash with implanted microchips or we all will die. Trash collection is, after all, a local matter to be handled at the local level.

That being the case, I suppose any given municipality overrun with a population of enough kooks to get this kind of paranoid delusional idea written into law has that prerogative. The rest of us will make other choices and avoid those asylums like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living