Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,912,080 times

Advertisements

What an utterly hilarious conversation. We've lived in a police state since the 60s, and you folks are worried about the recycling police?

Do you all get worked up about local government enforcing thousands of things like building codes and the like? I'd much rather see the government enforcing recycling, which does impact people, than forcing people to take DOWN clotheslines, have only certain approved plants in their yards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,107,188 times
I don't recycle. I also throw burned out CFLs in the trash...

Nearby Arlington and Alexandria, VA are using RFID equipped recycle bins. Any 'trash enforcement officer' who might in the future show up to 'counsel' me on the benefits of recycling will be told to get off my property and have about 5 seconds to do so before being shown the business end of my Remington pump action.

It's a *choice* to recycle.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Nearby Arlington and Alexandria, VA are using RFID equipped recycle bins. Any 'trash enforcement officer' who might in the future show up to 'counsel' me on the benefits of recycling will be told to get off my property and have about 5 seconds to do so before being shown the business end of my Remington pump action.

It's a *choice* to recycle.
Ah, another Internet Tough Guy.

Unfortunately for you, it's apparently no longer a choice to recycle in more and more places.

In the long run, what are you going to do when nobody will accept your trash? Bury it? On your property? On your neighbor's property? Speaking of "intrusive" government, have you ever read an average municipal or state code as pertains to proper landfilling practice and penalties for fly-dumping?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,980,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
What an utterly hilarious conversation. We've lived in a police state since the 60s, and you folks are worried about the recycling police?

Do you all get worked up about local government enforcing thousands of things like building codes and the like? I'd much rather see the government enforcing recycling, which does impact people, than forcing people to take DOWN clotheslines, have only certain approved plants in their yards, etc.
If the codes are stupid, yes and there are many that are borne of nothing but political scheme.

I would much rather people stay out of other peoples business and stop trying to dictate how they want them to live.

It appears that you have no problem dictating to others though, as long as it is something you approve. That simply makes your position hypocritical, but you don't care though right? As long as you get your way, everyone else can get bent.

Societies as such tend to not last very long and have very volatile endings. If people keep pushing like this, you will get the chance to see what I am talking about. By then though, you won't admit it as playing a part to its contribution. Such is the nature of those who disregard others as if they were trash to be swept under the table.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If the codes are stupid, yes and there are many that are borne of nothing but political scheme.

I would much rather people stay out of other peoples business and stop trying to dictate how they want them to live.
That's a subjective statement to end all subjective statements.

I'm pointing out reality. Reality is that in a large, well-populated country you inevitably get rules and codes that annoy people individually, but are necessary for the survival of the group.

You see recycling mandates as govt intrusion.

I see farmers in some areas in rural Indiana with signs by the roads saying "No More Landfills!"

So who is really being more intrusive, the farmer sick of the big city slickers dumping their trash, or the city slicker who produces all that trash without a concern in the world of who ultimately has to live with it?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,398,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I would pay a group of kids to swap trash and recycling containers, being sure to have the town council members "lose" recyclables and get fined.

I'm glad to note that many people are now coming to grips with what I've said for YEARS, that recycling is just another tax and method of control.
If you lived near a landfill you wouln't be saying that. Refrigerators, TV's and many household items that contain contaminents are already recycled, you would rather go back to the 60's where we through everything in landfills? Some here seem to think that no regulaion is worthwhile this is well worth the effort.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 PM

23,658 posts, read 70,695,104 times
Landfills? In the 1960s? We had the town dump. People knew to put usable stuff in one area so others with less money could use it, tires in another, and general trash in another. It actually worked fairly well during the period there was a hermit that was paid to live there and watch over things. It wasn't ideal, but neither is people rooting through your garbage to see if you've been good or bad.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,725,357 times
Option 1: It cost so much to dispose of trash. Recycles usually create income. Tax everyone as if the city had to dispose of everything as trash. Credit those who recycle their portion of the income. Those who recylce, compost and reuse will be paying less, those who don't will be paying more.

Option 2: Eliminate all trash service and reduce taxes by the amount not spent. Everyone pays their own trash cost from private companies. Those who throw everything out will pay more, those that recycle, compost and reuse will pay less.

Option 3: Eliminate all trash service period and make each property owner responsible for their own trash on their own property. They are forced to keep their own trash on their own property. If they don't recycle, their backyard, garage, spare bedroom will be a pile of crap. Recycle, compost, reuse, etc will make for little trash. If your trash harms your neighbors house value or poses a health hazard, you pay them compensation cost.

Option 4: Get with the program and stop whining about government intrusion. If your neighbor has a bunch of old abandon cars and trash on their property bet everyone will be calling in the governement to intrude on their property, so what makes trash & recycling any less a community thing?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,913,570 times
Recycling is great... the enforcement is PURE greed... there are better ways then to fine people by looking in their trash... but none of those ways produce more money for the companies or the government...

Old 09-17-2010, 05:15 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,398,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Recycling is great... the enforcement is PURE greed... there are better ways then to fine people by looking in their trash... but none of those ways produce more money for the companies or the government...
Well then how do you get those people to recycle if you have no enforcement. Why should I have to pay for extra solid waste management fees because my neighbor can't be bothered placing newspapers at the curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living