Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,910,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Great sales pitch. Kind of like a used car salesman.

$500 200w solar panel
$.12 per kw from electric company
Assume 5 hours of sun per day and you get 1kw per day.

This solar panel takes 4166 days to pay for. That's 11.4 years. And that's assuming free installation and free wiring/converters.

I had hear they take 10-15 years to get your money returned back in 2000. Looks like things haven't changed much.
I think you lose something like 25% (?) in wiring and converting to AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,575,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I think you lose something like 25% (?) in wiring and converting to AC.

There is the power loss, but also I question the cost estimate. A solar panel gets about 10w peak per square foot. Let's say your panels average 7w/square foot. That would mean 25 square feet of panel mounted on the roof for $500? I doubt that. More like $1500. Installation of solar panels on the roof will increase roof maintainence and repair cost by a factor of 300%. So you have to amortize the cost of roof replacement every 20 years and include time value of money. Why even waste time with this exercise. If it was actually caost effective to install solar panels and sell to the grid, one would see every vacant parking lot in Las Vegas (about 10,000 acres) covered with passive solar.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,475,593 times
Solar panels sell, but energy efficiency saves | 89.3 KPCC

not sure why the energy audit would cost $1,750 though, unless that included the sealing of the house...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
There is the power loss, but also I question the cost estimate. A solar panel gets about 10w peak per square foot. Let's say your panels average 7w/square foot. That would mean 25 square feet of panel mounted on the roof for $500? I doubt that. More like $1500. Installation of solar panels on the roof will increase roof maintainence and repair cost by a factor of 300%. So you have to amortize the cost of roof replacement every 20 years and include time value of money. Why even waste time with this exercise. If it was actually caost effective to install solar panels and sell to the grid, one would see every vacant parking lot in Las Vegas (about 10,000 acres) covered with passive solar.
200w panels do go for around $500:

Solar Panels, Pallets, and Kits - SolarHome.org - Ge Energy

Solar Panels, Pallets, and Kits - SolarHome.org - Evergreen

Solar Panels, Pallets, and Kits - SolarHome.org - Bp Solar

Solar Panels, Pallets, and Kits - SolarHome.org - Sharp

Old 02-25-2011, 06:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,575,741 times

Oh, I accept that. But they have no hardware, cabling or installation.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
the mounting kits are cheap. wiring isn't though these days. installation is also not very difficult. most of it is DIY, then call in the electrician when you need to hook it up. it's certainly still expensive, no doubt. but it's been dropping exponentially for years. obviously, in some parts of the earth, they are much better deal than in others. but eventually you would break even on the cost. so as long as you don't mind doing the upfront investment, it's a nice way to stop paying your utility company and have them possibly even start paying you.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 AM

371 posts, read 395,008 times
Quote:

Wow, you all have beaten this horse enough.

Yes the math left out a lot. No change in cost of power, no discount for buying in bulk, no cost of wiring & converters, no tax rebates and likely a lot more.

It was just a quick summary and I went with the assumption that a lot of the extra's would even out.

If you want a bigger kit (and likely more accurate math)
30.13KW GREAT SUSTAINABLE SOLAR PANEL SYSTEM & RELIABLE - eBay (item 190485124579 end time Feb-28-11 09:24:04 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/30-13KW-GREAT-SUSTAINABLE-SOLAR-PANEL-SYSTEM-RELIABLE-/190485124579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59cc 55e3 - broken link)

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]7,171.25 kw hr per month[/SIZE][/SIZE]
$105,875 for full set up
$.12 for 1kwhr

You'll need to generate 882,291 kw hr to break even. Comes out to 10 years 3 months.

Not much different.

If this number gets down to 6 years I would expect to see places like Vegas start jumping on it. If the electric company buys that power from you at $.12 per kwhr you'll get $860/month.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Wow, you all have beaten this horse enough.

Yes the math left out a lot. No change in cost of power, no discount for buying in bulk, no cost of wiring & converters, no tax rebates and likely a lot more.

It was just a quick summary and I went with the assumption that a lot of the extra's would even out.

If you want a bigger kit (and likely more accurate math)
30.13KW GREAT SUSTAINABLE SOLAR PANEL SYSTEM & RELIABLE - eBay (item 190485124579 end time Feb-28-11 09:24:04 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/30-13KW-GREAT-SUSTAINABLE-SOLAR-PANEL-SYSTEM-RELIABLE-/190485124579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59cc 55e3 - broken link)

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]7,171.25 kw hr per month[/SIZE][/SIZE]
$105,875 for full set up
$.12 for 1kwhr

You'll need to generate 882,291 kw hr to break even. Comes out to 10 years 3 months.

Not much different.

If this number gets down to 6 years I would expect to see places like Vegas start jumping on it. If the electric company buys that power from you at $.12 per kwhr you'll get $860/month.
and i know most people in the US are about immediate returns, so 10 years sounds like a long time. but since many homeowners take a 30 year mortgage, is 10 years really that long for breaking even and then having free electricity from that point forward?

also - i'm sure this is just a random case, can't read to deeply into it, but in 2008/09 when the market was horrible, there was a house listed in NJ that our realtor sent us. nice looking colonial. we really liked the house. it also happened to have solar panels on the roof, and the listing claimed that it saved the owners $380/month and had the documents to show that. well, we replied to our realtor to look at the house (not because of the solar, but because of the house). he replied back later that day and said it was just listed and already had 4 offers. this is when NO one was buying. haha.

as the cost comes down even more, i really think we'll see more and more of this. everyone talks about the breakeven and the cost, and the this, and the that. it's amazingly short-sited to not realize that the technology will continue to improve and get cheaper, and this is a good thing.

i guess some people just like being debbie downer no matter what?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,207,549 times
Your "Math" left out 2 important things
The cost of the switch gear that will have to be installed on your electrical service box/meter.
You just can't run your wiring/power from your solar power (or any other source) into your electrical system. 2. The mountain of paper work you will have to do to get your money from your power Co. every month.

Not a Debbie downer just taking a realistic approach.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 AM

371 posts, read 395,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Your "Math" left out 2 important things
The cost of the switch gear that will have to be installed on your electrical service box/meter.
You just can't run your wiring/power from your solar power (or any other source) into your electrical system. 2. The mountain of paper work you will have to do to get your money from your power Co. every month.

Not a Debbie downer just taking a realistic approach.
Yes, there are still many things left out. For example insuring the purchase forever. While it's likely to be added on to homeowners, the cost must be considered.

Also, if you invested $100k at 5% interest for 10 years you would earn $27k. So that $27,000 loss must be calculated in.
This would be the main reason business aren't touching it. Looking the interest issue I'd say solar panels might need a 5 year break even time frame before they are viable for profit.

Most solar panel companies estimate a 10-15 year wait to get your investment back. I think close to 15-20 is pretty realistic once you consider the loss of revenue from interest.

I'm all for people that have money to burn buying them. I just disagree with trying to trick people into thinking they are a good investment financially. While eco people like Al Gore don't like them, there are some multimillionaires out there that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living