Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,562,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm not saying charge it 100%, but if you had solar panels on the roof, trunk, and possibly hood it could run much of the electronics while the car is running, decreasing consumption from the charged battery and then when parked in the sun could charge the car during the day without even being plugged in, or speed up the charging if it's also plugged in. sure, it's not going to charge a vehicle, but i think we'll see them be placed on laptops, cell phones, street lights, and other small devices as time goes on. think outside the box a little.
You might get 150w (1 square meter) of solar panel surface on a car. Since the Leaf probably uses about 15,000 watts going down the road I doubt that the use of solar recharging would be detectable under any conditions. The whole electric car thing is a big old scam. Interesting fashion accessory for the trendy and green conscious. Alternative transportation? Not with lithium battery technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,875,565 times
im glad that my tax dollars can be pissed away so fools can buy crap like this.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,258,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Each car has a "sweet spot". I had a 2005 Dodge Ram with a Hemi. Setting the cruise control at 49mph I could get 26mpg. That was the highest mileage I ever saw.
Then you have my sympathy.... I get 31MPG at 60MPH and 28MPG at 80MPH -- V6 VTEC, 275HP

Quote:
Here is an article:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/driveHabits.shtml (broken link)
Sorry, Page cannot be found, wild cards in a URL is a killer....

Quote:
Which pretty much says there is no set speed, but anything over 60 and you'll start seeing losses.
Agree, but not substantial losses as was posted earlier..... Maybe 30 years ago this was true..

Quote:
Another article that goes with 40-50 mph:
The Ideal Vehicle Speed for Best Fuel Economy « Broken Secrets
Driving at snail speed to save a buck ain't worth it.....

I've never driven any appreciable distance at 40MPH to see what my gas mileage is like, I'd probably either die of old age or boredom if I tried...

Last edited by plwhit; 02-16-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,468,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
You might get 150w (1 square meter) of solar panel surface on a car. Since the Leaf probably uses about 15,000 watts going down the road I doubt that the use of solar recharging would be detectable under any conditions. The whole electric car thing is a big old scam. Interesting fashion accessory for the trendy and green conscious. Alternative transportation? Not with lithium battery technology.
the volt barely made the list of top 10 green cars, but the leaf i think made it into the top 5. i'll find the article, but the methodology supposedly includes environmental impact of the battery technology. the article did speak about how the leaf is better in some parts of the country than others, based on what that part's energy source is (more renewable, better score for leaf).

here's the link: http://www.plugincars.com/chevy-volt...es-106816.html

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Then you have my sympathy.... I get 31MPG at 60MPH and 28MPG at 80MPH -- V6 VTEC, 275HP

Sorry, Page cannot be found, wild cards in a URL is a killer....

Agree, but not substantial losses as was posted earlier..... Maybe 30 years ago this was true..

I've never driven any appreciable distance at 40MPH to see what my gas mileage is like, I'd probably either die of old age or boredom if I tried...
honestly, if many people just used cruise control more often and kept tire pressure at a good level for their vehicle, could probably save a decent amount of cash and fuel. i'd be less concerned about speed (within reason) and more concerned about those things. i don't drive 55mph everywhere i go, but that doesn't change the facts that you experience lower fuel economy as you go faster when you are up in those ranges.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
honestly, if many people just used cruise control more often and kept tire pressure at a good level for their vehicle, could probably save a decent amount of cash and fuel. i'd be less concerned about speed (within reason) and more concerned about those things. i don't drive 55mph everywhere i go, but that doesn't change the facts that you experience lower fuel economy as you go faster when you are up in those ranges.

I don't see anywhere in any post that disagrees with the fact the faster you drive your gas mileage is lower........

I use cruise control on the open highway because I'm lazy, not because I want better gas mileage....

Of course with the Leaf gas mileage is a moot point...

LMAO, with a normal car when you run out of gas you just get a gallon of gas in a can...

With the Leaf you call a tow truck when the batteries run out......

Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,875,565 times
why do we need green cars? the environment is doing just fine.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM

371 posts, read 394,815 times
Quote:
I get 31MPG at 60MPH and 28MPG at 80MPH -- V6 VTEC, 275HP
I highly doubt this is true.

Quote:
On the best shaped cars they can get max efficiency at higher speeds. But most cars see substantial changes (even if you choose not to believe it)
Pick an article (since Google is hard for you to work):
cars get better fuel economy at lower speeds - Google

Electric cars are really hit hard by power increases:
Nissan pegs Leaf range between 47 and 138 miles, individual results may vary — Autoblog Green

Regarding the Leaf:
  • Cruising at 38 miles per hour with ambient temps of 68 degrees, you could squeeze 138 miles out of the Leaf.
  • Averaging 24 mph in city traffic drops range to 105 miles, assuming air conditioning (A/C) is not in use on a 77-degree day.
  • In heavy stop-and-go traffic, averaging just 6 mph with temps of 86 degrees and A/C on, range drops to 47 miles.
  • At 55 mph on the highway in 95 degree temps and A/C on, expect range to be 70 miles.
  • Winter temps of 14 degrees with the heater on, will drop range to 62 miles in stop-and-go traffic, assuming an average speed of 15 mph.
It's sweet spot is 38mph, similar to the 40-50 for most cars. Regular highway driving and you'll see 30% drop. With the AC you'll see near 50% drop from max range.

Anyone that wants to "reduce pollution" or save money can drive slower on the highway. I personally don't care that much, and neither does the rest of America.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I highly doubt this is true.
How did I know someone would post this?

I just drove from Houston to San Diego and back zeroing out my computer after every fill up to watch my mileage.....

You don't believe me? No sweat off my back.... I'm sure you have the exact same car, drove it the exact same way and drove the exact same route I took to call me a liar..

Quote:
On the best shaped cars they can get max efficiency at higher speeds. But most cars see substantial changes (even if you choose not to believe it)
Pick an article (since Google is hard for you to work)
I love it, another elitist know-it-all......

BTW sonny, I have worked in the computer field for 40 years and am quite aware of Internet search engines and some of the BS they return. First time I got on the Internet was 1986, Unix ASCII terminal......
Quote:
Electric cars are really hit hard by power increases:
Nissan pegs Leaf range between 47 and 138 miles, individual results may vary — Autoblog Green
It's sweet spot is 38mph, similar to the 40-50 for most cars. Regular highway driving and you'll see 30% drop. With the AC you'll see near 50% drop from max range.
Anyone that wants to "reduce pollution" or save money can drive slower on the highway. I personally don't care that much, and neither does the rest of America.
Did you bother to read ALL the posts in this thread?

Did you see #48, #53, #57?

Probably not, the high-and-mighty just like to criticize from illiterate pedestals.......

LMAO, if you KNOW no-one cares why did you bother to post what YOU think everyone else in America thinks?

Watch it sonny, your elitism is showing again...

Last edited by plwhit; 02-17-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I don't see anywhere in any post that disagrees with the fact the faster you drive your gas mileage is lower........
I use cruise control on the open highway because I'm lazy, not because I want better gas mileage....

Of course with the Leaf gas mileage is a moot point...

LMAO, with a normal car when you run out of gas you just get a gallon of gas in a can...

With the Leaf you call a tow truck when the batteries run out......
someone asked for some evidence to prove "this myth"

as for the Leaf, if you run out of charge, it's most likely due to poor planning on your own part. i think it's well known that the car is not for everybody and is not for every trip. but since it's the first gen model, I'd like to assume that range will increase over time as more cars come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living