Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Pull all of the government involvement out of it returning it back to the private industry so people can actually get a return for doing it and people like me will go back to doing it.

I used to recycle everything and it was a nice little "fun" income until the state stepped in, charged me for collecting it and then paid me nothing for doing so while they collected all the profit from it. /shrug
^^^ This!

No one likes being forced at gunpoint to do what they were already doing voluntarily.

Consider a mule pulling a plow and being rewarded with a feed bag. Consider a mule pulling a plow without being rewarded with a feed back but instead being repeatedly beaten with a whip. Which get the better result? It is not rocket science.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This is what I have read as well. Someone needs to invent a new material for diapers I guess.

You have to be joking. Some people release a study that says using plastic diapers harm the enviornment less than cloth diapers and you believe them?

Think about this logically. Think about all of the chemicals and labor that go into making one plastic diaper and all of the fuel and carbon emissions that are involved in bringing it to market. You seriously think cloth diapers harm the enviornment because you have to wash them in a washing machine and dry them on a rack or on a clothesline?

Where is you sense of logic, nevermind your sense of gullibility. Of course Kimberly Clark wants you to think plastic throwaway diapers are greener than a cloth diaper. They want to continue to make them and fool people into thinking it is greener than the old fashioned cloth diaper. NOT

It is absurd but believe any studies you like, I am not forcing my views upon anyone. Just saying I don't believe this bs for one minute. It makes no sense at all, even if you are a stay at home mother with no education past HS, it makes no sense when you think it through.

Envision the giant factory and all of the electricity and fossil fuels that produces the plastic disposable diaper. Picture the 18 wheeler trucks that deliver them to the stores. Picture the trains that deliver the hundreds of thousands of gallons of chemicals used in making these polluting plastic sh*t rags. Then, think about where they go after they have been used. You have to be kidding me that you and others are that naive to think plastic diapers are greener than cloth diapers. Give me a break.

What bull sh*t.

Last edited by brien51; 12-03-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 01:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are calling it an appeal to laziness. My example was an appeal to their wallets, not to laziness (or your perception of it). I suspect people care more about getting $$ back for recycling than they do changing garbage bags. Obviously YMMV.

BINGO Keep recycling in the hands of the private sector and make it profitable for someone to do it, and you will have no problem getting it done. Get the government involved, eliminate all incentives, except for the most responsible people who feel a close tie to the planet, and only they will do it. Keep it out of the government's dirty politician's hands.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
BINGO Keep recycling in the hands of the private sector and make it profitable for someone to do it, and you will have no problem getting it done. Get the government involved, eliminate all incentives, except for the most responsible people who feel a close tie to the planet, and only they will do it. Keep it out of the government's dirty politician's hands.
Without incentives, nothing but catalytic converters would be recycled. And, nothing should be recycled, yet. Eventually, the raw materials will get expensive enough and the recovery methodology will improve and the landfills with all of their aluminum and plastic and yes, even lead will become treasure troves. And in the future the least valuable, most neglected of the landfills will be the ones where the aluminum cans were all diverted.

So, responsible people who actually know something about science do not recycle household trash.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Think about this logically. Think about all of the chemicals and labor that go into making one plastic diaper and all of the fuel and carbon emissions that are involved in bringing it to market. You seriously think cloth diapers harm the enviornment because you have to wash them in a washing machine and dry them on a rack or on a clothesline?
Does everyone that use cloth diapers also dry on a clothes line, or do they use gas/electric dryers? Someone's got their cloth diapers in a bunch! If you really want to be green, you'll put your kid on the toilet right after they're born and eliminate diapers altogether!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM

As for diapers, the diaper service is the way to go. A little can on the porch that is picked up every now and then by a commercial laundry that really knows how to clean them. Nothing like properly laundered diapers for baby. It makes the whole process less disgusting (I'm not talking about breast fed babies, I'm talking about the babies eating spaghetti-o's- YUCK).

I don't know why anyone would want to use a plastic diaper.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to use a plastic diaper.
Modern convenience.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Modern convenience.
Yea, I was just being snooty about it. We used plastic when traveling. I can tell you that diaper service is the way to go though.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Without incentives, nothing but catalytic converters would be recycled. And, nothing should be recycled, yet. Eventually, the raw materials will get expensive enough and the recovery methodology will improve and the landfills with all of their aluminum and plastic and yes, even lead will become treasure troves. And in the future the least valuable, most neglected of the landfills will be the ones where the aluminum cans were all diverted.

So, responsible people who actually know something about science do not recycle household trash.
I'm confused by this statement. Why not just recycle a metal can now instead of depending on your desperate grandchildren crawling around a landfill to come across it?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I'm confused by this statement. Why not just recycle a metal can now instead of depending on your desperate grandchildren crawling around a landfill to come across it?
I have been looking for a self sustaining alum recycling program (without subsidy) but have not found one. If a program is subsidized, then by definition it is consuming more resources than it is recovering and therefore damaging the environment. If you can point out a recycling program that makes money, I'm all for it. Even then you have a lot of costs that aren't being counted, but what the heck, I'd settle for that. Do you have one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living