Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM

275 posts, read 836,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
You know what's a hassle? Having garbage piling up outside your house. The day is coming when at least the large urban areas are going to be encountering "No room left in the inn" signs at the landfills they've grown accustomed to using.

And *who* would be paying you?

Oh yeah, the taxpayers.

Of which you are one.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
You know what's a hassle? Having garbage piling up outside your house. The day is coming when at least the large urban areas are going to be encountering "No room left in the inn" signs at the landfills they've grown accustomed to using.

And *who* would be paying you?

Oh yeah, the taxpayers.

Of which you are one.
Ummmm..... so if one recycles they will not see garbage piling up outside their house? Yeah right. The current ideology on recycling will not work here nor anywhere else on a wide scale.

As I said earlier, recycling in it's presently used method is a hassle to most people.

For example, in my area they will not take any papers that contain colored pages. You think I'm going to go through every section of the newspaper and sort it?

One idea I have to get garbage 100% recycled is to take most of the people who are on welfare and have them spend a few hours per day sorting garbage.

How about people not consuming the vast quantities of crap they buy every week instead?

"The day is coming" ~ man I am so sick of the legions of doomsayers here on C-D.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I don't get why some areas still use a separate trash and recycle system. In my township, if you choose to use the township garbage pickup (which is covered by property taxes), separates recyclables from the trash, so you don't have to do it yourself. Most people in the area would never recycle otherwise.

If you choose private garbage pickup, this is not an option.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
You can't.

How can you get people who throw bags of fast food trash out their window while driving down the street to responsibly recycle?

How do you get people who don't even take the responsibility to feed their kids to recycle?

Drive through a "poor" neighborhood. Look at the trash strewn streets. Do these people have the discipline to recycle?

These are all large swaths of areas in major cities.

What are you going to do, fine them?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ummmm..... so if one recycles they will not see garbage piling up outside their house? Yeah right. The current ideology on recycling will not work here nor anywhere else on a wide scale.

As I said earlier, recycling in it's presently used method is a hassle to most people.

For example, in my area they will not take any papers that contain colored pages. You think I'm going to go through every section of the newspaper and sort it?

One idea I have to get garbage 100% recycled is to take most of the people who are on welfare and have them spend a few hours per day sorting garbage.

How about people not consuming the vast quantities of crap they buy every week instead?

"The day is coming" ~ man I am so sick of the legions of doomsayers here on C-D.
Ahh, and there's that little knock on the "welfare queens."

Of course, it's not like middle or upper income people are the ones with the disposable income to buy loads of disposable crap, right?

As for the "day is coming," maybe you should go drive around NW Indiana and you can see the signs posted by angry farmers sick and tired of Chicago's waste being dumped near them.

And here's a newsflash for you - if you don't like the recycling system, get off the computer and get involved and DO something to make it better.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Most places you are paid!

But since many people can't figure this out, municipality should charge full cost for waste disposal and issue a refund based on the lower cost for recylcing. This will give the small minded folks their "Pay Me for doing it" way of thinking. Most places they set the waste taxes based on the cost minus the income from recycling. That means most don;t see the pay back. So just raise it to the full cost and issue refunds at the end of the year.
Exactly. This is a structural problem related to billing/educating consumers that can be fixed.

Anything worthwhile usually takes a bit of work on the front end, we're getting there.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times
Quote:
if you don't like the recycling system, get off the computer and get involved and DO something to make it better.
He doesn't have to, he just chooses not to recycle. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't get why some areas still use a separate trash and recycle system. In my township, if you choose to use the township garbage pickup (which is covered by property taxes), separates recyclables from the trash, so you don't have to do it yourself. Most people in the area would never recycle otherwise.

If you choose private garbage pickup, this is not an option.
This is truly the best way to do it.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
He doesn't have to, he just chooses not to recycle. Nothing wrong with that.
No, there is something wrong with that. Recycling will be mandatory across the USA in less than 20 years, mark your calendar.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times
Quote:
No, there is something wrong with that. Recycling will be mandatory across the USA in less than 20 years, mark your calendar.
The only way they would ever achieve 100% participation would be to have a program like another poster mentioned, and have trash sorted by the collector. I doubt people would go for recycling enforced by law, especially considering how people went nuts over the light bulb legislation.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
Yup, and there are mandatory speed limits all across America and those rules are followed, right?

There are mandatory laws against child/spousal abuse and they have stopped these issues, right?

There are all sorts of mandatory rules and regulations here in America that are never followed nor enforced what makes you think another law for something as trivial as recycling will be any different?

Obviously the current mindset Americans have of recycling doesn't work, people don't believe the message and you think passing another law will make it work?

The only thing a mandatory recycling law will accomplish is greatly reduce the jobless rate with all the recycling police jobs created.

Maybe the garbage industry needs to come up with a technically different method of disposing the garbage instead...

THAT makes more sense.

Last edited by plwhit; 06-22-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living