Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 11:34 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUmwy...layer_embedded

"Sometime during the next couple of years, there will likely be a fundamental shift. It might be another economic meltdown along the lines of 2008, or a shock to the economy thanks to a rapid spike in energy costs. It could be a series of extreme weather events that result in flooding, drought, or unprecedented heat waves. Think Hurricane Katrina on a larger scale. These changes could lead to food and water shortages—and test our personal and community preparedness in ways that we have not experienced in our lifetimes."

In It Together: Small Group Organizing for an Uncertain Future by Chuck Collins and Sarah Byrnes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
A group of doom and gloom "science experts" expressing their concerns/fears over something that might take place sometime in the future if certain conditions are met.

Last edited by plwhit; 01-24-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
You know, I DO happen to believe that we're running our canoe over Niagara. But not because of this sort of drivel. Give me a BREAK! Please. The guy starts the video by saying "a group of experts." On what? Are they soothsayers or oracles or what? Time travelers? Do any of you even know who Noam Chomsky is? He's a linguist for crying out loud. He should stick to his expertise (which by the way, he's a phenomenal linguist; I've studied linguistics and his work) and forget about becoming a gypsy fortune teller or political hack. I don't need a false "expert" to tell me things are going down the tubes. All I have to do is look at the habits and attitudes of those all around me. It's obvious.

As for the "experts," I'd doubt if they believe a thing they are saying. All they want out of it is more power, money, and control. I do not listen to hypocrites who go on and on about a green lifestyle and frugality, yet at the same time are mega-rich, burn more fuel in their yacht in a week than I burn in my car all year, live in a 5000 sq ft energy hog castle, ride in limos, fly in private jets... and tell the rest of us that "someone" has to sacrifice (wasn't that Michelle Obama's line?). I'll start listening when I see them living like friggin' Thoreau.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
^^ Yes, that. ^^

Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You know, I DO happen to believe that we're running our canoe over Niagara. But not because of this sort of drivel. Give me a BREAK! Please. The guy starts the video by saying "a group of experts." On what? Are they soothsayers or oracles or what? Time travelers? Do any of you even know who Noam Chomsky is? He's a linguist for crying out loud. He should stick to his expertise (which by the way, he's a phenomenal linguist; I've studied linguistics and his work) and forget about becoming a gypsy fortune teller or political hack. I don't need a false "expert" to tell me things are going down the tubes. All I have to do is look at the habits and attitudes of those all around me. It's obvious.

As for the "experts," I'd doubt if they believe a thing they are saying. All they want out of it is more power, money, and control. I do not listen to hypocrites who go on and on about a green lifestyle and frugality, yet at the same time are mega-rich, burn more fuel in their yacht in a week than I burn in my car all year, live in a 5000 sq ft energy hog castle, ride in limos, fly in private jets... and tell the rest of us that "someone" has to sacrifice (wasn't that Michelle Obama's line?). I'll start listening when I see them living like friggin' Thoreau.
Amen to that.

The person who owns the company I work for has a ship (no, it's passed the point of being a yacht) - it can store 12,000 gallons of diesel. I drive a diesel truck and get about 17 mpg (I have horses otherwise I would not be owning a truck). My fuel tank is 20 gallons and I refuel about 5-6 times a month, each refuel is about 10-12 gallons, so let's say 60-70 gallons a month. 12,000 divided by 70 = 171 months = 14+ years of my driving.

And then they tell me that I should make sure the air in my tires is always right so that I can conserve the gas and save the planet. Yeah, right.

OD

Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Peak Oil and a Changing Climate - YouTube

"Sometime during the next couple of years, there will likely be a fundamental shift. It might be another economic meltdown along the lines of 2008, or a shock to the economy thanks to a rapid spike in energy costs. It could be a series of extreme weather events that result in flooding, drought, or unprecedented heat waves. Think Hurricane Katrina on a larger scale. These changes could lead to food and water shortages—and test our personal and community preparedness in ways that we have not experienced in our lifetimes."

In It Together: Small Group Organizing for an Uncertain Future by Chuck Collins and Sarah Byrnes
Time to yank this one out again. I've been noticing that gas prices are all over the place and strangely, they're as much as 20-30cents/gallon different in different parts of the city here--normally they'll be maybe 5 cents different, but I keep rubbing my eyes here and wondering how they can be so off. Of course it's b/c they're changing so fast and a lot of that is due to the recent economic downturn. I wonder how many people in the states or even the world believe that global warming or peak oil is a problem? I vote that both of them are, but not b/c I want to believe it.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Some believe live will get better and some believe it will get worse. It might even get better for some and worse for others at the same time. The only thing certain is life will change. Stay flexible.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
The only things certain in life are the IRS, death and stupid/greedy politicians.......

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
The OP of this thread is well known for his doom and gloom posts in the Business Forum. At least he is remaining in character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living