Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM

293 posts, read 911,687 times

Advertisements

Did the New York Times write a fake story about the Tesla? If so why?Elon Musk vs The New York Times: Tesla's CEO produces logs contradicting Model S story - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM

37,309 posts, read 39,712,890 times
Yea, here's Elon's post:

A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Blog | Tesla Motors

It's weird that this thing has happened to Tesla before with the television Top Gear where it was later proven in court that the show had scripted the implied failure of their test car. What could possibly motivate people to do this?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,249,060 times
After reading Mr Broders response it seems like once again Tesla has been found to be infested with idiots....

Here's Mr Broders response:

That Tesla Data: What It Says and What It Doesn’t

Quote:
Elon Musk, the chief executive of Tesla Motors, has now responded in detail to the account of my test drive of his Model S electric car, using the company’s new East Coast Superchargers, that was published in The Times on Feb. 10. His broadest charge is that I consciously set out to sabotage the test. That is not so. I was delighted to receive the assignment to try out the company’s new East Coast Supercharger network and as I previously noted in no way anticipated – or deliberately caused – the troubles I encountered.
It ends with this:

Quote:
Mr. Musk not only apologized, he said the charging stations should be 60 miles closer together and offered me a second test drive when additional stations were built.
That Tesla Data: What It Says and What It Doesn't - NYTimes.com

This whole scenario was caused by the west coast mentality/stupidity of being clueless to what happens to batteries when exposed to very cold conditions.....

Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, here's Elon's post:

A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Blog | Tesla Motors

It's weird that this thing has happened to Tesla before with the television Top Gear where it was later proven in court that the show had scripted the implied failure of their test car. What could possibly motivate people to do this?
Did you see this on the Twilight Zone or read it in Mad magazine or perhaps Mother Earth News? It is totally false and bogus.....

Quote:
Tesla and the company's lawyers are nothing if not determined. After a judge smacked down the electric vehicle manufacturer's libel suit against the BBC and Top Gear for comments made about the range of the Tesla Roadster, the automaker rallied with a second, amended lawsuit. It didn't take long for the the same judge to nix the new case, too, saying the amendment was "not capable of being defamatory at all, or, if it is, it is not capable of being a sufficiently serious defamatory meaning to constitute a real and substantial tort."

That sound? It's the smack of the judicial backhand.
Tesla libel suit against Top Gear fails again

Judge Tosses Tesla’s Case Against Top Gear

Judge Tosses Tesla's Case Against Top Gear | Autopia | Wired.com

Tesla Fails Again In Suing Top Gear For Mocking Tesla's Range

Tesla Fails Again In Suing Top Gear For Mocking Tesla's Range | Techdirt

I don't understand how people can post malicious falsehood claims other than this forum seems to attract people who refuse to see or admit the world revolves around accredited substantiated FACTS rather than BS and fantasies....

The Tesla $122,000.00 toy under reliable power (because of depleted batteries), the human kind:

Last edited by plwhit; 02-16-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,962,349 times
CNBC is running its own test today of the range of the Tesla model S. Leaving Washington DC headed for Boston. However, he's giving the Tesla every opportunity to do well. Speed in the highway? 55 A steady stream of cars passing him. He comments how people keep passing him and looking. He says they're looking at the car. What a dope!!! Most are wondering who the moron is driving $100,000+ car 55 MPH. and blocking traffic.

Last edited by augiedogie; 02-19-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,023,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
CNBC is running its own test today of the range of the Tesla model S. Leaving Washington DC headed for Boston. However, he's giving the Tesla every opportunity to do well. Speed in the highway? 55 A steady stream of cars passing him. He comments how people keep passing him and looking. He says they're looking at the car. What a dope!!! Most are wondering who the moron is driving $100,000+ car 55 MPH. and blocking traffic.
I-95 is 4 to 6 lanes wide north of Washington. Someone doing the speed limit isn't blocking traffic.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Well, if you watch the video that he shot in the morning, before his first charging stop, there is a constant line of cars passing him on the left, one after another. If its going to be a real world test, then the driver should, IMHO, keep up with the flow of traffic. If you don't keep up with the flow, you're slowing down the general flow, a kind of moving road block.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Phil Lebeau has stopped again to recharge. He's been on this trip since before 7AM. He has now covered a whopping 200 miles in seven hours, and he still has to stop and charge again to get to his destination. That's an average speed of 30 mph. All that and its only an 80,000 dollar car.

Now I'm confused. I just went and checked and its a trip of 440 miles from Washington DC to Boston. Not under 300 as he was stating. I'll look at this closer when Phil's all finished.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,084,588 times
I believe the reporter. Even when I read Tesla's initial response and looked at the data, their claims seemed shakey. 60mph feels like 54mph on the freeway, and it's SLOW in any case. A half-mile of driving in a parking lot is not very far at all and shouldn't drain a depleted AAA battery, let alone a supercar's.

I did wonder about the 74 degree cabin temperature, but I see that was probably the heater setting and not the actual temperature inside the car, since it was such a cold day.

This does seem fishy:
Quote:
Certainly, and as Tesla’s logs clearly show, much of my driving was at or well below the 65 m.p.h. speed limit, with only a single momentary spike above 80. Most drivers are aware that cars can speed up, even sometimes when cruise control is engaged, on downhill stretches.
Uh, no. I've never set my cruise control at 65 and coasted up to 80!! Not even on a 8% grade in the mountains, and there are NO grades like that on his trip. Try telling that tale to the state police when they pull you over.

Maybe if you disengage the drive train and really coast, but it would have to be a STEEP grade. I am guessing the reporter sped up to pass someone and just didn't remember, but he shouldn't try to blame it on the cruise control. That's ridiculous, and calls the rest of his account into question.

In the aggregate, it seems like the car underperformed, and he got some crappy advice from some idiots at Tesla's HR department. If the reporter had been any sort of engineer or technical person, he probably would've treated the car better and gotten more range out of it. But, since this was supposed to be a Joe Blow test drive, I agree that the car is probably not yet ready for non-enthusiasts driving long distance. Just stick to hybrids for another generation or two of Tesla. Eventually they'll get it right.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
If the reporter had been any sort of engineer or technical person, he probably would've treated the car better and gotten more range out of it.
So one must be some sort of engineer or technical person to waste $122,000.00 purchasing this vehicle so they can drive at some insanely slow driving speeds while dressed in thermal underwear?

As I've said repeatedly concerning these electric toys, when one has to radically modify their driving habits to make up for the deficiencies of the technology it's guaranteed to be a failure.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living