Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,531,601 times

Advertisements

I thought it was pretty neat last year when Consumer Reports rated the Tesla S one of the best cars they've ever tested. Now it's interesting to see that owners are just as enthusiastic. For a long time EVs tended to be underperformers, and not very exciting to drive. Tesla has broken that paradigm, and in a remarkably short time, too.

Quote:
Tesla Breaks Into Top 5 Brands in Consumer Reports Survey

Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the youngest U.S. automaker, ranks in the top five brands among people surveyed by Consumer Reports, another accolade from the magazine that rates Tesla’s Model S among the best cars it’s ever tested.

Tesla was fifth in the poll, up from 11th last year, behind namesake brands of Toyota Motor Corp. (7203), Ford Motor Co. (F) and Honda Motor Co. as well as General Motors Co. (GM)’s Chevrolet, the Yonkers, New York-based magazine said today. The results are from a December survey of 1,578 vehicle owners asked to rank brand attributes including quality, safety, value, design and technology.

Tesla Breaks Into Top 5 Brands in Consumer Reports Survey - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,551,280 times
Cool Beans. Tesla is running with the big dogs now.

Now for them to come out with a car that more people can afford, instead of the 1% - 5% ers. Which is know is coming soon.

Hopefully they get a foot hold on that before the other big companies jump in. GM was supposed to come out with a Tesla killer, but I have not seen or heard anything other than the threat that they will do it. (The term 'Vaporware' comes to mind)

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Except its battery cost is hidden, other costs hidden, etc, low reliability. When cold, EV distances decline to 20 miles or less.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Except its battery cost is hidden, other costs hidden, etc, low reliability.
How is the battery cost hidden? From the Tesla website the 85 kW battery is $12K, and it comes with an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. What other costs? Low reliability? Obviously you are not reading what actual owners are saying about their Teslas. That's the whole point of this thread, that in addition to the very high marks Consumers Report testers gave the car ("one of the best we've ever tested"), that owners are raving about it.

Quote:
When cold, EV distances decline to 20 miles or less.
Not true. Matter of fact, not even remotely true. Here's an interesting story from Norway, where a Tesla owner registered a 233 mile trip, with power left over, in 21 F weather:

Norwegian Tesla Model S driver goes 233 cold miles on a charge

Oh, and don't miss the article I posted in another thread about two different coast-to-coast trips being made in Teslas... in winter weather! https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...s-country.html

Last edited by OpenD; 02-07-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 AM

912 posts, read 1,136,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
How is the battery cost hidden? From the Tesla website the 85 kW battery is $12K, and it comes with an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. What other costs? Low reliability? Obviously you are not reading what actual owners are saying about their Teslas. That's the whole point of this thread, that in addition to the very high marks Consumers Report testers gave the car ("one of the best we've ever tested"), that owners are raving about it.

Not true. Matter of fact, not even remotely true. Here's an interesting story from Norway, where a Tesla owner registered a 233 mile trip, with power left over, in 21 F weather:

Norwegian Tesla Model S driver goes 233 cold miles on a charge

Oh, and don't miss the article I posted in another thread about two different coast-to-coast trips being made in Teslas... in winter weather! https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...s-country.html
Why must you continually rain on oil lover's parade with your pesky facts?

City-Data won't let me rep you any more.

---------------------------------------------

I wonder how far Telsa is from producing a more affordable line of vehicles?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Why must you continually rain on oil lover's parade with your pesky facts?

City-Data won't let me rep you any more.
Thanks.

Quote:
I wonder how far Telsa is from producing a more affordable line of vehicles?
According to their Global Head of Sales at the Detroit Auto Show in January, they'll have a $40,000 "Gen 3" vehicle on the market in 2017.

Detroit Auto Show 2014: $40,000

Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Except its battery cost is hidden, other costs hidden, etc, low reliability. When cold, EV distances decline to 20 miles or less.
There is a % decline in range in colder weather for all EV vehicles. Manufacturers are figuring out how to mitigate some of those as well using the data they collect from vehicles in the fleet. One way is to preheat the vehicle when it is plugged in.

I don't know of any model Tesla that drops to 20 miles on a full charge in cold weather, please cite your source.

Like OpenD, I want to know what other costs are hidden? Maybe the fact that the owner of the company is putting out his own "profits" and investment money to build "free" supercharging stations?

Once enough EVs get old enough, we will now the true reliability of the vehicle as a whole. Right now, it sure looks like they will cost a whole lot less to operate than a traditional ICE car.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Once enough EVs get old enough, we will now the true reliability of the vehicle as a whole. Right now, it sure looks like they will cost a whole lot less to operate than a traditional ICE car.
AND it looks like they'll have much longer effective service lives. The motor has a single moving part, the transmission has a single gear, the regenerative braking (braking using the motor regenerates electricity) greatly reduces wear on the brakes.

All the other usual things that wear and need replacement on an automobile, like tires, shocks, windshield wipers, etc. will be the same as conventional ICE cars.

Two things that will be different... battery replacement at the end of its serviceable life (currently 8 year warranty) and routine service, which consists of a single annual visit for $600.

And while it will take a while for used-car values to be established for EVs, I think over time they will show a longer depreciation curve on the vehicle, and a shorter depreciation curve on the battery, changing the algorithm for determining a used car's value. And with it, possible changes in the way cars are financed. I've already seen proposals to lease the battery, separately from the car.

One thing for sure... things are changing!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Yes and Tesla even has "ranger" service where they come to you... And you can prepay the annual service visits so it works out cheaper than the $600 a year. The 4yr pre-paid service is $1900 or less than $500 a visit. If you pre-pay at $600 a visit the ranger comes to you for free and you get unlimited ranger visits. BTW, looks like everything but ties is included. (Brake pads and wipers are included)

Not saying I can remotely afford one of these cars, but it seems to be the wave of the future.

BTW, you don't have to service the car for your warranty to remain in effect... According to the Tesla web-site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living