Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

In some cities, the city water pressure comes from the water towers, not the pumps. The water plant operators align the valves to fill the towers at night. The pressure of all that water is what helps to maintain water pressure. The water plant doesn't let the towers go empty. They shut off the water coming out of the tower at a certain percentage of being empty. They do this in case of a fire. The fire department calls the plant and the operators open the valves to give firefighters plenty of water pressure. In times of drought conditions, excessive water use isn't just about being green, it's about public safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I read the story of the woman with 9 children in Yemen. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for her. If there isn't enough water for one child, how on Earth did she think she could support nine. So I check the box no, I don't care.

Same thing with Africa.

I have 3 boys that I am able to feed and shelter.....I would have a hard time with 9, and I have a good job....

so these people in these third world countries that have all these children.....that's their problem.

I guess you've never heard that before.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Quote:
I read the story of the woman with 9 children in Yemen. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for her. If there isn't enough water for one child, how on Earth did she think she could support nine. So I check the box no, I don't care.

Same thing with Africa.

I have 3 boys that I am able to feed and shelter.....I would have a hard time with 9, and I have a good job....

so these people in these third world countries that have all these children.....that's their problem.
You say that now but when karma comes knocking at your door, don't come crying to us about how you have it bad.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
Nice post: you'll get a REP when I finish typing.
I won't give my pets tap water, but I do collect the cold water and throw it on the lawn or use it for a free flush. On mopping day it gets used on the floors. My monthly water & sewer bill is still nearly $200. even though I am conservative--REALLY.
May I ask where you live? I don't do any of the techniques you do and my bill averages $31 a month.

There are three of us plus two cats and an African Gray parrot living here....

Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Same thing with Africa.

+1 for you.......

Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Let's bring some relevance back to this thread, shall we?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Let's bring some relevance back to this thread, shall we?
It's been a dead thread for the past couple of months until you decided to reopen it

So? you bring some relevance to it

Old 09-19-2011, 05:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Your still not saving water. Your just limiting your use of it, being frugal.
Saving Money not water.

Water is cheep.
I hate low flow shower heads, you have to run around in the shower just to get wet.
All those chemicals and energy is reflected in your water rates, it's still cheep.

What are you saving it from?

Some folks have wells and or septic systems on there own property. Even if it goes to a sewage treatment plant it soon will be returned to the aquifer, stream or lake to be used over and over.

It's a money saving tip.
What do you imagine they pump that water with. A bunch of mice running around a treadmill LOL

Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
For water conservation I wish there were more...not sure what they are called...the ability to stop water coming out of your shower without actually having to turn the water off. When you do that you lose your temperature. Some sort of interupter valve. They ought to be standard, it can hardly be expensive. Helps with the navy shower concept.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Seems you would save far more water if when you take the dog out you pee with them outside... that will save you a 3.5 gal flush what 5 times a day. or nearly 18 gallons. times how ever many boys in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living