Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 PM

469 posts, read 1,176,764 times

Advertisements

We all let the water run when we turn on the shower and it is too cold to get in. Capture that water in a bucket or a bowl and use it for something else. I use it to fill up my dog's water bowl saving me around a half gallon of clean fresh water everyday. Another good use is to water your plants with it. Make a comment so that everybody will see this tip and use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM

229 posts, read 440,568 times
I have an on demand water heater that is located about one gallon from the point of use. Yes, I do capture this water and use it for plants or placing over heat sources as a cheap humidifier.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,839,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
We all let the water run when we turn on the shower and it is too cold to get in. Capture that water in a bucket or a bowl and use it for something else. I use it to fill up my dog's water bowl saving me around a half gallon of clean fresh water everyday. Another good use is to water your plants with it. Make a comment so that everybody will see this tip and use it.
That's a great idea. Also, I now take Navy showers. That cut my monthly usage from 3 units to 1 unit. Not that is reduced my bill accordingly. THe units get cheaper, the more you use.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,185,717 times
If the water goes down the drain it does not just disappear from the face of the earth.
Your not saving water.

Are you trying to be super frugal? Yes.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If the water goes down the drain it does not just disappear from the face of the earth.
Your not saving water.

Are you trying to be super frugal? Yes.
Me too.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 41,409 times
Good idea. It does lessen the pull on the treatment plant, which in my area will need to expanded in 5-10 years. Also, you incremently save on your usage. Furthemore, rain barrels are an easy way to avoid having to pay for water. They have them not that hook into your gutter system.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Signatures not allowed IAW TOS

Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 AM

I also use navy showers because my hot water heater is so small. Snofarmer, no the water doesn't disappear from the earth, but a lot of energy and chemicals go into intaking that water from the source, pumping it uphill to a reservoir, pumping it to a treatment plant, adding chlorine and flouride, pumping it to a water tank, then allowing gravity to push it through the system to my house. Every gallon saved keeps those resources there for the next gallon. Panterra, that water rate schedule makes no economic sense. I've heard of this before and it creates incentives to waste water. You should lobby your utility board or public service commission to have it changed. I've been planning to install a rain barrell to water my front yard, I'm also going to hook it up to my sump pump outflow from my crawl space. When I get that done I will have excess grey water and might even start watering my neighbor's yard!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,185,717 times
Quote:
Snofarmer, no the water doesn't disappear from the earth, but a lot of energy and chemicals go into intaking that water from the source, pumping it uphill to a reservoir, pumping it to a treatment plant, adding chlorine and flouride, pumping it to a water tank, then allowing gravity to push it through the system to my house. Every gallon saved keeps those resources there for the next gallon.
Your still not saving water. Your just limiting your use of it, being frugal.
Saving Money not water.

Water is cheep.
I hate low flow shower heads, you have to run around in the shower just to get wet.
All those chemicals and energy is reflected in your water rates, it's still cheep.

What are you saving it from?

Some folks have wells and or septic systems on there own property. Even if it goes to a sewage treatment plant it soon will be returned to the aquifer, stream or lake to be used over and over.

It's a money saving tip.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Snofarmer, I guess I should change my term to saving water consumption. The reason water is so monetarily cheap for customers in the US is because it is massively subsidized. People living on the Great Plains really are saving water, due to the fact the Ogallala aquifer does not recharge. It is a fossil aquifer therefore we are effectively mining the water and when its gone its gone for good.

Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, therefore if you take this outlook on everything were not really saving anything ever.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I also use navy showers because my hot water heater is so small. Snofarmer, no the water doesn't disappear from the earth, but a lot of energy and chemicals go into intaking that water from the source, pumping it uphill to a reservoir, pumping it to a treatment plant, adding chlorine and flouride, pumping it to a water tank, then allowing gravity to push it through the system to my house. Every gallon saved keeps those resources there for the next gallon. Panterra, that water rate schedule makes no economic sense. I've heard of this before and it creates incentives to waste water. You should lobby your utility board or public service commission to have it changed. I've been planning to install a rain barrell to water my front yard, I'm also going to hook it up to my sump pump outflow from my crawl space. When I get that done I will have excess grey water and might even start watering my neighbor's yard!

I wonder if I cut my usage to zero, my bill will be reduced by another 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living