Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Your attempt to personalize this discussion makes no sense. Why don't you stick to the topic? Is the topic here conservatives and big government? Apparently, you think it is.
pot meet kettle.

Why are you on the green forum again???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I prefer meat I've shot and butchered myself.

When that's not available, there's local places where I know the conditions, etc.

I've seen firsthand the big slaughterhouses. No thanks. If some city sort wants that "inspected" meat, go for it. I won't touch it.
Best answer!! But not doable by everyone, alas!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,959,125 times
Moderator Announcement: In an effort to keep to the OP topic, any further discussions regarding Food Safety legislation and current industrial farming practices will be moved to Great Debates, Politics & Other Controversies, or a dedicated thread will be created to continue that discussion.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't consider this type of decision making obsessively environmental but really a simple decision making process that is not particularly limiting.
Lots of small differences make a big difference.

What I look at when I shop:

1) Ingredients - look for shortest ingredient list, especially processed ingredients. More health based but has an environment impact as well I suspect.

Then...

2) I check to see where something is made/processed.
I live in Ohio, I buy sugar from the Midwest, not cane sugar from FL. (Plus can sugar has negative impacts on the everglades but that would be another list). Why buy canned green beans from across the country if the other brand comes from a couple of states away?

3) Packaging. If you have a choice between something in glass or plastic, glass. Plastic or cardboard - cardboard. Like laundry soap!

Any others?
Back on topic (ahem...) have you located you local Farmer's Market and or/CSA???

If you cannot grow you own, the chance to actually meet and greet your own local food suppliers can be amazing and enriching!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,959,125 times
Buying larger quantities of staples and dividing them into smaller reusable containers at home is another way to reduce packaging and food miles.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,308,235 times
Rural living can be a bit different. I bulk buy about every 3 months simply because it is a 100 mile trip to a whole foods or farmers market. I recycle all my plastic and tin cans. It is a win-win for me and the invironment as I send out a 50 gal barrel every month. I also use invironmental friendly water softner salt (potassium), laundry and dish soaps and body products. My clothes actually look cleaner, too. These products do not contain lye, tar or wood - or at least not that I am aware.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
Interesting. I bet you don't see cattle much where you live. Or maybe you don't realize that cattle eat grass, hay, and other items that we humans don't eat. Then again maybe you know something that I don't. Maybe the food companies are processing hay and making food for human consumption out of it. Oh wait the ranchers have been doing that for years. The tool that they process the grass lands and hay with are called cattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living