Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,788,091 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
As the winter begins to set in I've been using the woodstove more and taking on some wintertime projects.
Here are some ideas.
I took old truck/car tires and placed them over my young roses "doughnut" style i.e. "flat" and then laid old sheets of double pane glass from left-over doors on top, made nice little greenhouses that protect the young plants from the frost. The roses still get good sun during the day.
I'm sure that everyone out there does this but collect downed wood every chance you get. I frequently pick up wood from folks in town who just want it gone. Take it home, cut it up and use it to heat the house. I have as yet to use the "heat-pump" to heat the house. The wood stove keeps the place in the low 70's easily. Will be making a sterling-heat engine fan to help move the heat about inside the house instead of the electric fans.
Use the broom and dust-pan instead of the electric vacuum. Use less energy and keep the noise and the dust down.
Going up next will be the wind turbine(s) and solar. Need to figure out how to automatically keep the panels safe from hail damage though…..any ideas out there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,226,155 times
Can Solar Panels Be Damaged By Hail?

Have you considered wind damage as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living