Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:33 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

I don't consider this type of decision making obsessively environmental but really a simple decision making process that is not particularly limiting.
Lots of small differences make a big difference.

What I look at when I shop:

1) Ingredients - look for shortest ingredient list, especially processed ingredients. More health based but has an environment impact as well I suspect.

Then...

2) I check to see where something is made/processed.
I live in Ohio, I buy sugar from the Midwest, not cane sugar from FL. (Plus can sugar has negative impacts on the everglades but that would be another list). Why buy canned green beans from across the country if the other brand comes from a couple of states away?

3) Packaging. If you have a choice between something in glass or plastic, glass. Plastic or cardboard - cardboard. Like laundry soap!

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Michael Polin, in his "Food Rules" says to shop around the perimeter of the grocery store, since most of the processed food is on the inside aisles. I dont follow that too much since Cheerios, Chex, and Quaker Oats are on the inside aisles, but the concept seems valid based on what I see in the stores I shop at.

I guess looking for organics and free range meat would be another suggestion.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Michael Polin, in his "Food Rules" says to shop around the perimeter of the grocery store, since most of the processed food is on the inside aisles. I dont follow that too much since Cheerios, Chex, and Quaker Oats are on the inside aisles, but the concept seems valid based on what I see in the stores I shop at.

I guess looking for organics and free range meat would be another suggestion.
I never noticed that until you posted it, the perimeter shopping. Very good point, cept for certain spices.

That is a fantastic way to think about shopping.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
i think so too
here is what we do
first we shop at the farms, then farmers markets, and then go to the grocery store to buy whatever we CANNOT get locally.

I have found in VT we can get local flour, oats, beer,milk, cheese, butter etc. all of these can come within 100 miles of where we live! then whatever we cant get here, buy from good companies.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i think so too
here is what we do
first we shop at the farms, then farmers markets, and then go to the grocery store to buy whatever we CANNOT get locally.

I have found in VT we can get local flour, oats, beer,milk, cheese, butter etc. all of these can come within 100 miles of where we live! then whatever we cant get here, buy from good companies.

How much energy do you use by going from place to place to place to place.......etc? Is your shopping done in a 100 mile radius? That is not "green", LOL! Tounge-n-cheek, Joe. I could never drive that much with my wife and kids for food.

But seriously, do you go 100 miles?

PS sorry for joke'n around, I just had an image in my head of the kids kill'n themselves while we look for groc...........BTDT.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Reduce your meat consumption or eliminate meat from your diet altogether. Of almost any component of the American diet, meat is the one that causes the most pollution.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM

honestly we usually do shop for groceries maybe 3 times a week. we do run around a little, but we're talking about farms, grocery stores and farmers market all within 5 miles.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Reduce your meat consumption or eliminate meat from your diet altogether. Of almost any component of the American diet, meat is the one that causes the most pollution.
I've never heard of this, can you post some links so I can see the facts?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM

eating meat environmental impact - Google Search

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/we...27bittman.html

Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
The "greenest" food comes from your own backyard. Grow what you can.

Like joe moving, we like to shop at the local farm-store/csa. Our nearest outlet is five blocks (yes blocks) away, so we bike or walk there. We are probably more lucky than most as we are in a small town in the midwest, surrounded by abundant farmland.

Third option would be the local co-op.

At traditional grocery stores we "perimiter shop" as mentioned above. It's not really so much about "being green". I just like food that a)tastes good b) is healthy and nourishing.

When I do need to make a driving trip to the "big" grocery store, I often call a friend/neighbor so we can car-pool.

Oh, and since we are having fun on this thread, don't forget to "drink locally" when you can. Find a micro-brewery near you . No need to ship/fly/truck beer in from goodness-knows-where.. Americans are getting pretty darn good at crafting beer (Three Floyds[IN] and Bells[MI] are two of my regional favorites). Unfortunately, I still have not grown fond of Midwestern Wine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living