Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,971,283 times

Advertisements

As far as large appliances go, you really have to do a cost breakdown. I had an OLD (like "harvest gold" era!) upright freezer that still worked and kept my food wonderfully frozen... however, it gulped electricity like a marathon runner gulps Gatorade. I plugged a meter into it, and determined that it would be less expensive just in one year's energy savings to replace it with a brand new, more efficient chest freezer... when I added in the tax rebate, it was even more savings. However, the same wasn't true of my 5 year old furnace... it was only marginally less efficient than a "cleaner burning" brand new one. It was smarter for me to save the difference in price and put it towards better insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,393,029 times
A hailstorm and heavy downpour a couple of days ago showed just how bad the drainage was off part of my roof and how much water would be wasted with a simple downspout. So when I had a contractor over the other day to repair the minor roof damage that the hail caused, I also had him build a new downspout that feeds into a sealed rainwater capture system that we designed and built together yesterday. It has a 64 gallon capacity. Every little bit helps IMHO and it's just another step I can take on the path to greening my home and lifestyle.

If more homeowners looked at it as a journey instead of a destination I think they would be less intimidated and more willing to take on projects like this one at a time.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
Thumbs up Ways for Homeowners to go GREEN

Speaking of roofs, you can also thing about Doing it yourself (DIY) for Solar Panels.
Here's a reasonble cost DIY guide.

[URL]http://878a5htfp3jm7k3-df658l2s0r.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=MTA[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living