Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 AM

665 posts, read 1,727,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Scientists have no idea what does or does not cause cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:48 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Scientists have no idea what does or does not cause cancer.
Yes they do.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is there a brand of LED that you have found that works well, gives off good light, and has a decent lifespan? I haven't found one yet and am tired of spending big $$ just to have no light or have it die in a month.
I bought mine when I was still living in Norway, so the brand name and store I bought it from is unheard of here. They didn't give off the light output of a halogen (nor incandescent), but where I was using them, the output was acceptable.

I've also used LED for spot lighting of work benches etc, for this I've used highr quality 3W LED bulbs, which performs very good.

In all cases (4 cheap LEDs and one expensive one) they were still going string when I left, with 2 years of daily use, so far (the 4 cheap ones were in the hallway and on for probably 6-8 hours daily).

I do think it's possible to begin to find bulbs with good output in a natural color now, with some searching. I only have Norwegian weblinks though, sorry.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I bought mine when I was still living in Norway, so the brand name and store I bought it from is unheard of here. They didn't give off the light output of a halogen (nor incandescent), but where I was using them, the output was acceptable.

I've also used LED for spot lighting of work benches etc, for this I've used highr quality 3W LED bulbs, which performs very good.

In all cases (4 cheap LEDs and one expensive one) they were still going string when I left, with 2 years of daily use, so far (the 4 cheap ones were in the hallway and on for probably 6-8 hours daily).

I do think it's possible to begin to find bulbs with good output in a natural color now, with some searching. I only have Norwegian weblinks though, sorry.
Thanks for responding.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thanks for responding.
Sorry I didn't have any information for you.

If I do find a good source of decent quality LED "bulbs" I'll try and remember to post it here.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Moderator cut: Thread hijack

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 04-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Hijacking thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Did they ban traditional telephones or did I miss something? Yet, didn't they ban incandescent bulbs?
there is no ban on incadescent bulbs. the law requires bulbs created starting in 2012 to be more efficient. and there are incadescent bulbs that meet those standards. the "they banned incadescent bulbs" is false information. but feel free to find for me any federal law that bans them.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
LifelongMOGal,
I just have to let you know that your post upset me very much. I happened to break a lamp that has one of the energy-saving twirly bulbs in it, the bulb broke in a million pieces, my husband and I cleaned it up by sweeping up and picking up the broken bits of glass. When I read your post, I still had the lamp sitting out, to throw away on garbage day, and I immediately got up and tied a plastic bag around the lamp. That lamp has been above where I sit and read and watch TV, been there with that kind of bulb for years.

I developed breast cancer, and reading some of the article implies such a bulb should not be kept near people's heads, and another article said something about not using bulbs for long periods of time at night. So, this is the kicker that made me so upset. Do we not use lightbulbs in the evening so we can see what we're doing? And wouldn't a bulb be near our heads for task lighting? And if there is a connection between fumes given off by energy-saving bulbs and breast cancer, how come nobody in the cancer world has advised women to throw all those bulbs out? And what if one breaks such a bulb, is it then dangerous to handle?

This is the problem with posting scary articles about a couple studies that suggest cancerous toxins may be given off by the newer lightbulbs that many thousands upon thousands of people now have in their homes. I appreciate the warning, but it's like the Reader's Digest, they tell you all this decidedly offensive stuff but with NO SOLUTION. And now I am in tears because all this with the lamp happened just a few days ago, and I'm trying to live with cancer, and I'm wondering WHY DID I READ THIS ARTICLE? Can I not have a pleasant day at City-Data?

I would just like to say that in general, the City-Data General Forums, while I absolutely love reading them and contributing, they often allow scary posts, like pointless sad children or doggie stories, articles about how a lightbulb might have made ME sick, and now that I've busted the dang bulb and finished the most effective chemo in my therapy regime, that maybe it was all for naught. I'm sorry, I'm too sensitive to react rationally, but I felt so strongly that I should say that if somebody is going to post an article or information, PLEASE, don't start a panic... in fact, the article used that very word, and it makes me wonder how could any respectible paper print ANYTHING that might cause a panic. I'M PANICKED. I'm teary-eyed.

And while it's the makers of the bulb and those that permitted it to be put on the market that should make me mad, I'm also mad now that I read it at City-Data, I'm mad that indeed so much JUNK is out there in general. And I'm mad that those papers in England are ALL tabloids anyway, not ONE SINGLE PAPER in London is reliable reading. Now, if they publish the bulb story in the Washington Post, then hopefully the UL Listed folks will read it, because they REALLY got a huge problem on their hands, including a lawsuit from me.
GG

Last edited by gigimac; 04-25-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Brady,
I just have to let you know that your post upset me very much. I happened to break a lamp that has one of the energy-saving twirly bulbs in it, the bulb broke in a million pieces, my husband and I cleaned it up by sweeping up and picking up the broken bits of glass. When I read your post, I still had the lamp sitting out, to throw away on garbage day, and I immediately got up and tied a plastic bag around the lamp. That lamp has been above where I sit and read and watch TV, been there with that kind of bulb for years.

I developed breast cancer, and reading some of the article implies such a bulb should not be kept near people's heads, and another article said something about not using bulbs for long periods of time at night. So, this is the kicker that made me so upset. Do we not use lightbulbs in the evening so we can see what we're doing? And wouldn't a bulb be near our heads for task lighting? And if there is a connection between fumes given off by energy-saving bulbs and breast cancer, how come nobody in the cancer world has advised women to throw all those bulbs out? And what if one breaks such a bulb, is it then dangerous to handle?

This is the problem with posting scary articles about a couple studies that suggest cancerous toxins may be given off by the newer lightbulbs that many thousands upon thousands of people now have in their homes. I appreciate the warning, but it's like the Reader's Digest, they tell you all this decidedly offensive stuff but with NO SOLUTION. And now I am in tears because all this with the lamp happened just a few days ago, and I'm trying to live with cancer, and I'm wondering WHY DID I READ THIS ARTICLE? Can I not have a pleasant day at City-Data?

I would just like to say that in general, the City-Data General Forums, while I absolutely love reading them and contributing, they often allow scary posts, like pointless sad children or doggie stories, articles about how a lightbulb might have made ME sick, and now that I've busted the dang bulb and finished the most effective chemo in my therapy regime, that maybe it was all for naught. I'm sorry, I'm too sensitive to react rationally, but I felt so strongly that I should say that if somebody is going to post an article or information, PLEASE, don't start a panic... in fact, the article used that very word, and it makes me wonder how could any respectible paper print ANYTHING that might cause a panic. I'M PANICKED. I'm teary-eyed.

And while it's the makers of the bulb and those that permitted it to be put on the market that should make me mad, I'm also mad now that I read it at City-Data, I'm mad that indeed so much JUNK is out there in general. And I'm mad that those papers in England are ALL tabloids anyway, not ONE SINGLE PAPER in London is reliable reading. Now, if they publish the bulb story in the Washington Post, then hopefully the UL Listed folks will read it, because they REALLY got a huge problem on their hands, including a lawsuit from me.
GG

what did i post that upset you? i didn't start this thread.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Not to get off-topic but how many people understand what has to be done when a CFL bulb breaks?

The EPA has a 3 page document: Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

Here is just the overview of the process, the detailed instructions are in the doc...

Before cleanup
◦ Have people and pets leave the room.
◦ Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
◦ Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
◦ Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb.

During cleanup

◦ Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
◦ Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly.
Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
• If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

I refuse to have any of these bulbs in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living