Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
There is a ton of information about growing these veggies in pots, containers, hanging baskets and window boxes so you should be able to find a solution that works for you without having to succumb to an expensive gimmick
Do you know any off the top of your head? If not, I'll do a search for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The All American Kit contains a decent selection of tried and true varieties so I don't think you'd go wrong with that kit if you want to try it. Any grow kit with a variety of seeds and starting trays would be a good learning experience for a novice gardener. Luckily you're in a fairly easy growing zone so don't have to worry too much about whether the plants are appropriate for your area. When I lived in NoVa/MD, I could pretty much grow anything... here in Alaska or down in Texas, not so much
I may buy it. I can do a trial and error on it, see what happens later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Oh nice, thank you!

I should probably start to begin with. Then progress to actual gardening. What do you think?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
It's a great learning experience and confidence boost to start with a few plants in containers, and then you can move on to large containers and actual garden plots. That's why I don't automatically turn my nose up at growing kits... they might not be optimal for a seasoned gardener, but they are great for a novice who doesn't have the experience or gear.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times
Beautiful garden!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
This is concrete blocks stacked the week after Christmas, half rotted tree chippings mixed with some topsoil and about three buckets of semi-composted "bunny berries" (rabbit manure from under the rabbit hutch). A tablespoon full of Epsom salts was sprinkled around the base of each tomato plant after it was planted but other than that, it's all bunny manure. It gets watered a lot since it's very densely planted and the plants use a lot of water and fertilizer. More semi-composted bunny manure it put on it about every two weeks.

The beans, lettuce, beets and watermelon were direct seeded. The sweet potato was from vine cuttings and the tomatoes were started inside on the first week of January. This picture was taken around the end of February so it's a six week old garden.

The next one is going to be three rows of bricks high so it will be easier to pick things like bush beans. We got most of the bricks for it today, gotta move a few bushes out of the way and then we can start stacking concrete blocks and hauling semi-composted chipped trees.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 PM

For those of you on Facebook, this page has lots of good tips & pictures--

https://www.facebook.com/GrowFoodNotLawns?ref=stream

Old 03-31-2013, 07:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I just got a rep on my post from 9-21-2011 (post #19) about seed potatoes in a 5 gallon bucket. Saw two good ideas in Mother Earth News, one for potatoes and one for strawberries.

Make Your Own No-Space Potato Barrel - Do It Yourself - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Vertical Gardening: Build a Strawberry Barrel - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

And here's one for something to sit on while you're watching your garden. Thought this was a neat idea.
Weekend Project: Garden Bench Made from an Old Tire Inner Tube

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Hey, missingall4, and joke. Saw you have a site for a way to grow green beans. I was cramped for space in the yard of the house my ex got to keep, so I planted pole beans around each leg of an old swing set A frame we had in the yard. Had a good supply of beans. My son did something different that looked funny. He had some old birdhouse gourd seeds that we weren't sure would sprout or not, so he planted 3 or 4 around a redbud tree in the yard. Not only did the seeds sprout, by the end of summer it looked like we had a gourd tree! lol That redbud was covered with gourds. The vines also made their way over to the 6 ft tall stockade fence and we had gourds on it too. That was a funny looking yard. Green beans hanging off a swing set and gourds growing in a tree. lol

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hey, missingall4, and joke. Saw you have a site for a way to grow green beans. I was cramped for space in the yard of the house my ex got to keep, so I planted pole beans around each leg of an old swing set A frame we had in the yard. Had a good supply of beans. My son did something different that looked funny. He had some old birdhouse gourd seeds that we weren't sure would sprout or not, so he planted 3 or 4 around a redbud tree in the yard. Not only did the seeds sprout, by the end of summer it looked like we had a gourd tree! lol That redbud was covered with gourds. The vines also made their way over to the 6 ft tall stockade fence and we had gourds on it too. That was a funny looking yard. Green beans hanging off a swing set and gourds growing in a tree. lol
Those are some creative ideas!! I have used my front yard fence as a trellis for beans, cucumbers, tomatoes,etc for years, old ladders, pallets, etc... I may try the gourd up the Redbud tree thing myself, I have both a redbud tree and 2 packets of gourd seeds!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM

229 posts, read 439,759 times
I have found that YouTube is an invaluable place for getting gardening tips and instructions on making self-watering containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living