Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

A friend of my Nana's had always had a large garden, but when she moved to an assisted living community, she only had a tiny yard to work with... she planted scarlet runner beans in hanging planters on the end eave of her porch and trained the vines across the ceiling.

I've used anything at hand as bean supports... tree limbs, saplings, bamboo, old corn or sunflower stalks, rebar and remesh, closet rods... if it was sturdy enough, tall enough, and rough enough for the vines to grab hold I had beans on it

You're only limited by imagination when it comes to finding growing containers and supports. I've seen the wire forms for Christmas light reindeers used as tomato cages, and a ring of plastic pink flamingoes as a pepper prop. I've seen zucchini planted in an old toilet, carrots in a cracked aquarium, and lettuce in a hard hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
I have found that YouTube is an invaluable place for getting gardening tips and instructions on making self-watering containers.
Any suggested Youtube pages?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM

I am also considering getting this as well:

Blueberry Kit Deal of the Day | Groupon

I did look at the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map that they provided, https://groupon.s3.amazonaws.com/spo...nes_300dpi.pdf but I unfortunately don't understand it. I am in Fairfax County, Virginia, which is just south of Washington DC. If any of you can help "decipher" the map and let me know if my area is good to grow those blueberries, please let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited by Joke Insurance; 04-05-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Fairfax is Hardiness Zone 7a, which means that the coldest it normally gets in the winter is 0-5F.

According to the listing, the blueberry varieties in the Northern Kit are best grown in Zones 3-7, and the varieties the Southern Kit are best grown in Zones 4-8.

Technically, you could grow either kit; but you're right on the edge of being cold enough in winter for the Northern and Fairfax is in Heat Zone 6-7 (2-3 months of above 86F) which may be too hot in the summer... so, you would probably have more success with the Southern Kit.

ETA: According to the VA Cooperative Extension, Bluecrop & Patriot varieties (in the Northern Kit) are best suited to the western (mountain) part of the state, and the Legacy variety (in the Southern Kit) is a Northern Highbush x Southern Highbush hybrid and suited for all parts of the state. They don't mention the Arlen variety, but it was developed in North Carolina and grows particularly well in Charlotte & Greensboro which have similar conditions to Fairfax.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 04-06-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM

89 posts, read 135,849 times
I grow all my food these days. Most of it indoors. Potatoes, corn, tomatoes, onions, even oranges and lemons.
The corn and potatoes are started in buckets then when the ice melts are moved outside. The rest stays inside.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM

I may have to put my urban garden on hold for a little while as ants, plus ivy and other weeds have gradually taken over my backyard. I just need to find out if property management has to deal with that or if its my responsibility to clear it all.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Fairfax is Hardiness Zone 7a, which means that the coldest it normally gets in the winter is 0-5F.

According to the listing, the blueberry varieties in the Northern Kit are best grown in Zones 3-7, and the varieties the Southern Kit are best grown in Zones 4-8.

Technically, you could grow either kit; but you're right on the edge of being cold enough in winter for the Northern and Fairfax is in Heat Zone 6-7 (2-3 months of above 86F) which may be too hot in the summer... so, you would probably have more success with the Southern Kit.

ETA: According to the VA Cooperative Extension, Bluecrop & Patriot varieties (in the Northern Kit) are best suited to the western (mountain) part of the state, and the Legacy variety (in the Southern Kit) is a Northern Highbush x Southern Highbush hybrid and suited for all parts of the state. They don't mention the Arlen variety, but it was developed in North Carolina and grows particularly well in Charlotte & Greensboro which have similar conditions to Fairfax.
Thank for that information!

I may finally have time to get around and garden this year! *crosses fingers*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living