Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

I like paper bags. My favorite is sandwich bags. They are wholesome looking. They are soft and nicely colored (earth tones) and they feel good when you touch them. Unlike nasty plastic bags. And if something is leaking a little in a paper bag you know it right away, before your whole sandwich is ruined or whatever. And paper bags are 100% biodegradable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I agree. I use reusable totes for my groceries now, but before that I used paper bags. I then recycled them. I feel using sustainable wood pulp is far better than dumping a bunch of plastic onto the landfills.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 AM

130 posts, read 148,356 times
yes paper bags remain an option in grocery stores and are preferred by many consumers for convenience.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Before you praise paper bags, have you looked at the costs involved it making paper bags. The average American family will use 1000 paper bags per year, this is assuming we do away with plastic bags. It takes about 14 million trees to make 10 billion paper bags, this is one issue. The chemicals used in paper manufacturing pollute rivers, the energy used to make paper bags is very high, very high carbon foot print.
Lets look at some stats:
Renewable resource:......................... paper (yes) Plastic (no)
Energy required to make:.................. paper (very high) Plastic (med)
Water pollution created...................... paper (very high) Plastic (low)
Air pollution created.......................... paper (very high) plastic (med)
Chemicals used................................. paper (very high) plastic (high)
Recycle ............................................paper (med) plastic (low)
Landfill space....................................paper ( very high) plastic (med)
Degrade-ability................................. paper (high) plastic (low)

This information comes from this site:Paper or Plastic Shopping Bags?

The solution for these problems is not found in paper bags or plastic bags, it found in reusable shopping bags.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
By the year 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish.
Thanks, but I'll stick with paper, or cloth that I can take over and over again to grocery.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
By the year 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish.
Thanks, but I'll stick with paper, or cloth that I can take over and over again to grocery.
Both paper bags and plastic bags have huge impacts to the environment both in their different ways, the solution is reusable shopping bags like the cloth ones, and even producing these has an environmental impact, but it is lesser than the other two choices.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
At least we can use the cloth bags over and over and over. IF we can remember to take them with us, lol.

I don't understand why the cloth bags aren't promoted anymore like they used to be. Now if I show up with my cloth bag, I get funny looks. But at least some places have banned the plastic, like the city next to me. At least the paper will degrade but the plastic could be around forever.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:24 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I try to remember to use my cloth bags for groceries. If I don't, I like paper bags. My thinking is, that the paper mills here grow trees specifically for making paper. Trees are a renewable resource. Plastic bags are just nasty.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
At least we can use the cloth bags over and over and over. IF we can remember to take them with us, lol.

I don't understand why the cloth bags aren't promoted anymore like they used to be. Now if I show up with my cloth bag, I get funny looks. But at least some places have banned the plastic, like the city next to me. At least the paper will degrade but the plastic could be around forever.
Around where I am - in central Mass, your own bags is more the norm than not. I never get funny looks, and all the checkers deal with the bags just fine. I well remember what it was like, bringing your own bags, 20-30 years ago. Then I got funny looks!

I used to have problems remembering to carry them with me - but now I just make sure I have a half dozen or so in the back of the car at all times. Once I unload the bags after shopping, I fold them up, put them all inside one bag, and put it where I will remember to take them out to the car when I next go somewhere. Works a charm.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I advise theose who minimize the impact of plastic bags (and plastic bottles too!) on the environment to look back at pictures of cities 50 years ago (on the eve of the Plastic Revolution) and now. The degree of today's visual pollution is GROSS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living