Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
cage free just means they are not in cages. It doesnt mean they are treated well or are healthy. They are crammed in a space the same size, there are just no cages. Free range/free roaming are better, that means they have a little bit of space to roam. But still not much better. The Free-Range Myth
I am not saying dont eat eggs, I eat eggs every day. I am just saying that if you truly want healthy chickens and good eggs you will have to raise them yourself. I still buy free range but plan on being able to raise my own someday.
Yes, they may have been allowed out once and back into confined areas. I have six in a fenced area but that is for their protection from the hawks, my dog and my quick to complain neighbor (we all have one). But they are given wild greens, oatmeal/grits/yogurt, nutritional herbs and parasite cleanse on a regular basis and quality time where i go out there a pet and talk to them...call me crazzy. Most say the yoke are thick from my girls but I don't realize it because I've been eating them for a couple of years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
I don't think the eggs are better, plus, but range free chickens are, the only problem is, chickens should not run free if you have any other animals, b/c their droppings can cause all kinds of problems in other animals....they really should be kept in an enclosed area....like the picture....but I remember as a kid, chickens had so so much more flavor, when they were range free....

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,728 times
I knew an old bachelor that raised ....free range....ducks.

Every early morning as I drove past his place, I would see them out in the grass in the lowland and they would be running because feathers were flying from the one that was fighting a losing battle with a fox.

I'll bet by butcher time, he didn't even have 1/3 of those ducks left.

He should have butchered and ate the foxes.
They were nice and fat.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
A lot of cities are now allowing folks to raise a few hens in their backyard. Even if you can't raise them yourself, perhaps you could go in with a neighbor and subsidize their raising of chickens in exchange for eggs? We have three Brown Danish Leghorns in the backyard. They have a small house that is movable to different areas of the yard and they are very productive layers. If you are able to raise a few hens, here's a chart to help choose the variety which works for you: Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart Personally, I'd recommend the Rhode Island Reds if you want a nice docile calm hen that is productive in laying a lot of eggs. The leghorns are great layers but flighty and not really good pets.

As for buying free range eggs, you'll pretty much have to find someone who raises the chickens themselves. Almost any commercial egg facility will have way too many hens in one place. Perhaps an inquiry on Craig's List will find someone near you with extra eggs from their chickens?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to choose eggs that are from chickens that truly live cage-free? I make an effort to buy the type that say cage free, but I don't know if that label really means anything (ie false advertising).

Look in your grocery for eggs from vegetarian fed, cage free and free roaming chickens.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM

157 posts, read 185,646 times
it is not at all hard to trap foxes that "think" that the hole at the base of your fence is free access to your fowl. :-)

Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
Thought this was helpful:

The Cornucopia Institute

My only prob with buying local eggs from people is that most people around here feed their chickens GMO corn
This is very helpful. I actually found a brand that my local WF carries. I don't mind paying more for eggs from happier birds, but having your own chickens or driving out to farms is just not realistic for a lot of people.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,120 times
There are smaller bantam breeds of chickens that are easier to keep compared to large egg layers - and half the size. A few of these small hens can be kept in town easily.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,399 times
I have my own chickens, they are a blast. I have too many - 12 - but I really recommend keeping a pair. They are not noisy or dirty.

This is the outdoor section of their pen, but they have a fenced acre and a coop and lay eggs like crazy.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikking View Post
it is not at all hard to trap foxes that "think" that the hole at the base of your fence is free access to your fowl. :-)
This guy had no fences.
They were truly------cage free-------and fence free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living