Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
once a long time ago, I saw a new type of milling machine, it picked up the old blacktop, and ran it thru a machine which was connected, recycling the old blacktop making new....however, this was years ago, and I suppose it never got off....
I worked with a concrete machine which put down two lanes of concrete, running off of lazer lines, pretty amazing and huge...to say the least.
I saw one of those on the highway between LA and Vegas many years ago. It was pulled by a regular semi truck, dump trucks were off loading extra materials in front of it, and a tanker truck was pumping oil into it. The entire contraption was constantly moving, and it was followed up by a couple of rollers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I saw one of those on the highway between LA and Vegas many years ago. It was pulled by a regular semi truck, dump trucks were off loading extra materials in front of it, and a tanker truck was pumping oil into it. The entire contraption was constantly moving, and it was followed up by a couple of rollers.
I would find that interesting to watch....seriously

Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
So would I. That sounds like a fantastic machine.

Here in the Northeast they mill down the existing road, take the cuttings to an asphalt plant, mix with new aggregate and oil and put a new surface back on the road. It seems to take a couple of weeks from grinding to new road.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Here in the Northeast they mill down the existing road, take the cuttings to an asphalt plant, mix with new aggregate and oil and put a new surface back on the road. It seems to take a couple of weeks from grinding to new road.
I loved working construction, it was so interesting....I'd love to see them build a bridge....and Hoover Dam, can you imagine, way back then....yanno, materials back then were so much stronger I remember, we were getting a road ready, and we couldn't get a sign out, so we had to dig and dig, and it had been concreted in years ago, when they finally got the slab with sign in tact, out, you wouldn't believe how different the concrete looked. Amazing.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,093 times
Do any of you know what it might cost to build just a dirt, sort of logging type road in Washington State. It would be 1100 ft long but would rise 400 ft high-- Just ballpark. Is that too steep for a dirt road?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Do any of you know what it might cost to build just a dirt, sort of logging type road in Washington State. It would be 1100 ft long but would rise 400 ft high-- Just ballpark. Is that too steep for a dirt road?
I can't answer your question Sorry.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I worked a large road project, in PA. We were using a GOMACO machine...awesome machine, it put down two lanes of highway, running on a string line...I was the Concrete Tech...on Rt. 80 and Rt. 380. I forget how many Aggitators it had across, but what a machine.

GOMACO, Manufacturer of Concrete Slipform Paving Equipment: GP-2400 Slipform Paver Applications Photos

http://www.gomaco.com/Resources/gp4000.html

Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post

400/1100--> 36% grade-- way too steep. 10% is almost too steep. Wet clay is like ice for traction. You'll probably have to zig zag the drive up in a series of switch-backs- tripling or quadrupling (or more?) the actual length of the drive.

Have you considered installing an escalator?

That reminds me of a guy I used to know who drove a beat up WWII vintage Jeep. His bumper sticker read

"My Other Car is a Pair of Hiking Boots"

ps/ in terms of cost-- a lot depends on how much heavy equipment grading and knocking down large trees is involved, but just a minimum of grading of a flat terrain and gravel and yuo're talking maybe 5 figures $.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,093 times
LO no escalator These are logging properties in WA with lots of slope.Weyerhouser hasl logged them and replanted seedlings,but some have fantastic views. Aside from the logging roads there would need to be more groundwork.

5 figures-- like $10k + I assume.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
My driveway is ~300 ft long (one curve) at ~8-10% grade. It's gravel and drive wheel frequently breaks loose when starting from a standstill or accelerating too fast. I have resigned to just keeping it in 4WD. I was stuck at home for awhile once when a Jan thaw & rainstorm was followed by a week of sub-zero temps. I had to spread gravel on top of 1 1/2 inches of solid ice to get any traction.

You might find this helpful: https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=291066

A driveway 12 ft wide and graveled 6 inches deep will run you almost $5000 just for the gravel, if your costs there are like ours here.

And don't forget the added fuel expense when you have run 1000ft each way in 1st gear and replace brake shoes every six months

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 09-27-2018 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living