Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the helpful info. re quoting. Will attempt it next time.

Meanwhile, check out www.coalswarm.org for an excellent collection of online articles about various aspects of coal, coalmining, and related issues around the world.

It does not appear that Pennsylvania has suffered much mountaintop removal of its coal, unlike Kentucky and West Virginia (and to a lesser but still deplorable degree, Tennessee and Virginia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 05:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Its continued use has been because its local and cheap. The problem is if it is mined correctly (read in a way that doesn't totally trash the environment) and used in plants that are clean - it is no longer cheap and market forces would close it down.
Then let market forces close them down. That's as it should be. But electric companies are not run by idiots. They know that gas is cheaper today, but they also know that its prices fluctuate wildly year to year. What may look like a bargain this year may not be next year. Plants are built for decades, not for a few years. Coal will still be available a century from now, still at a reasonable price. Gas may be selling for 10X last year's price in a couple years. In fact, that would simply be a its historical nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
This push and pull between trying to regulate and enforce environmental laws to control the damage coal does has been a decades long legal fight leading to the status quo with damage continuing. This includes miner deaths due to unsafe conditions.
In my part of the country, where chances are good your coal comes from, coal mining is one of the safest jobs available. Our mines each generally employ 500-800 workers, and those mines generally make it through the year without a single work loss injury. That means not so much as a seriously sprained ankle. Chances of any coal mine employee sustaining a serious work-related injury in his lifetime, let alone being killed at work, is extremely remote. (One chance in 400 of an accident in a given year. If you're a truck driver, it's one in 28.)) Just going from memory, I believe there have been two mine deaths in the past 40 years here. Approximately 6,000 miners are employed in the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While mining is certainly not the safest job it's far from what you may think as being the most dangerous. For example you're more likely to die driving a truck or putting a roof on a house and then there is the most deadly occupations like logging or fishing. Mining deaths get a lot coverage because when it does happen it's often a lot of them at once, when the garbage guy get killed it's just local news but there is lot more of them getting killed. .

According to this article citing the latest stats from the BLS it's number 10.

10 of the Most Dangerous Jobs in the U.S. - Yahoo! Finance

1. Job: Fishing
2. Job: Logging workers

3. Job: Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
4. Job: Refuse and recyclable material collectors
5. Job: Roofers
6. Job: Structural iron and steel workers

7. Job: Helpers, construction trades
8. Job: Farmers, ranchers and agricultural managers
9. Job: Truck driver

10. Job: Natural resources and mining
Natural resources and mining are often lumped into one. Natural resources includes oil and gas drilling, which is at least 4 times as dangerous as mining in Wyoming when it comes to non-fatal accidents. We don't have enough fatal mining accidents to register -- as I said, 2 in 40 years, iirc.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Just going from memory, I believe there have been two mine deaths in the past 40 years here. Approximately 6,000 miners are employed in the county.
Those are mostly or all surface mines? The danger is not as great as it is in underground mines. I don't know what the current stats are but they have it down around 20 fatalities per year. It's a heavy industry and as it is with any heavy industry accidents are going to happen.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
All surface mines. 40% of nation's coal now comes from here.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM

593 posts, read 470,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This adds nothing to a discussion.
It's makes the truth plain to see. pay attention.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
It's makes the truth plain to see. pay attention.
You seem angry, hostile, and ill informed.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those are mostly or all surface mines? The danger is not as great as it is in underground mines. I don't know what the current stats are but they have it down around 20 fatalities per year. It's a heavy industry and as it is with any heavy industry accidents are going to happen.
More so in Don Blankenship run mines than elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
They should, for the sake of honesty, say "greener coal". Can't see how it could ever be "green" when you burn it and create carbon emissions. I guess if you got coal's emissions equivalent to biodiesel, you might have an argument for "green coal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living