Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,107,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
vinegar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
carolyn is right-i started using vinegar and it works...

if you have pesky ones in a small area,,,boiling water will kill it
Vinegar works.

Funny story, this winter my wife was germinating seeds and misting them daily. Unfortunately she put some vinegar in a similar spray bottle and left it near the grow table. One dose and EVERYTHING was dead. Fortunately, she had time to start a new batch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,962,967 times
A 10-year old who get's paid 5 cents per weed. 10 cents if he pulls it up by the root.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,514,389 times
Super safe and not toxic and easy to use, boiling water. Works every time. Just set a tea kettle to boil and when it whistles, take it outside and pour on the weeds in the walkway, just do not use it on your lawn. Boiling water is also effective against ground wasps/yellow jackets, just boil a large pot of water and pour on the nest.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 AM

19,975 posts, read 30,319,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Super safe and not toxic and easy to use, boiling water. Works every time. Just set a tea kettle to boil and when it whistles, take it outside and pour on the weeds in the walkway, just do not use it on your lawn. Boiling water is also effective against ground wasps/yellow jackets, just boil a large pot of water and pour on the nest.
good post!! i've yet to try it,,,but the portable "steam cleaners" should work well too-

Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,750,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
A 10-year old who get's paid 5 cents per weed. 10 cents if he pulls it up by the root.
perfect idea

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,904,518 times
I was one of the 10 year olds and got paid zip.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,514,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I tried that, hired two neighbor kids to weed one of my beds. They broke my new hoe by using it like an ax, took forever to weed the bed, left early and a week later came back to see if I had any more work for them to do. I said that when they finished the work that I had already paid them for, I may have more work. They said they thought that maybe I could pay them to do more work before they finished the first job. I told them that that is not how it works, that they needed to finish the first job that they were paid for before I gave them more work. They never finished the first job and a few months later I caught one of them smashing my bushes with his skate board and when I confronted him, he said it was not him, yet I saw him do it and told him so. I had been finding big gaping holes in my bushes for over 6 months and could not figure out who was doing it. Both boys are now in the early 20's and are both unemployed and one is in trouble for stealing and selling an expensive bicycle. I hired them thinking that they would learn about hard work and earning money the honorable way, apparently it did not work. I blame the parents.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,221,439 times
Most weeds are spread by seeds every year. So, at least keep the seed bearing tops whacked off if you don't have time to pull them up. Then, all you have to fret about are the seeds that blow over from the neighbors.

It's about impossible to have a weed--free garden. Mother Nature sees that ALL her children thrive when conditions are right. Mulch is about the only solution that really reduces the spot where the weeds can put down roots. We like pine straw. We have an acid type soil that azaleas and camilleas love. Pine straw helps this. It wouldn't be good in a rose garden.

I like Ortho Weed-B-Gon. I apply it full strength with a brush directly to things like poison ivy, and other weeds that resist a good pull. I think it would work very well on a footpath.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,512,021 times
Salting weeds can eventually poison surrounding ground. Weed-killers poison the environment.

Propane weed-burning torches are quick and efficient and leave no residue. You don't have to actually burn the weeds, just hit them long enough to wilt them does the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living