Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Or not. Can't tell by looking.
You understand there is huge difference between a stream and a spring?

You're not basing this on looking, you're basing it on the knowledge that a spring is coming from an underground source. That doesn't guarantee its not contaminated but it's certainly far less likely than ground water from a stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You understand there is huge difference between a stream and a spring?

You're not basing this on looking, you're basing it on the knowledge that a spring is coming from an underground source. That doesn't guarantee its not contaminated but it's certainly far less likely than ground water from a stream.
Fact is that there's an inference being made. The water coming out of your tap could be polluted. There is a practice of publishing tests of that water. To my knowledge, nobody tests spring water, so it could be anything. You're really just making a bet.

Here's what people do who want to improve their odds: Amazon.com: Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets: Sports & Outdoors

Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
I have to confess that I have no idea of what you are basing your posts on. Anybody's water can be polluted, and that includes any water from the municipal water source. 99.9 pure? What is the one percent? Yes , some of us test the water coming out of our taps. If you will just take the time to do some research, I think you will find that spring water, creek water and water from the water table are all different. In the Mountains, spring water is often water which has filtered through rock to a water course which has evolved at or near the surface. Creek water basically does the same thing, but it runs above ground for a course before emerging with the water table of the area.

Results? Spring water is the purest water, creek water may be contaminated by what it runs through, and water table is contaminated by what runs into it.
What does strip mining have to do with the subject at hand?
Do some research, then come back with honest concerns and questions and you will find people who are willing to listen and post thoughtful replys.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I have to confess that I have no idea of what you are basing your posts on. Anybody's water can be polluted, and that includes any water from the municipal water source. 99.9 pure? What is the one percent? Yes , some of us test the water coming out of our taps. If you will just take the time to do some research, I think you will find that spring water, creek water and water from the water table are all different. In the Mountains, spring water is often water which has filtered through rock to a water course which has evolved at or near the surface. Creek water basically does the same thing, but it runs above ground for a course before emerging with the water table of the area.

Results? Spring water is the purest water, creek water may be contaminated by what it runs through, and water table is contaminated by what runs into it.
What does strip mining have to do with the subject at hand?
Do some research, then come back with honest concerns and questions and you will find people who are willing to listen and post thoughtful replys.
Not sure what your logic proves. You state a structural definition of it, but then you leap from that to a conclusion that is hopeful but not proven by the development. Filtered? Perhaps. A lot of water is filtered. Doesn't make it pure. Pumps draw from acquifers which filter the water. But it doesn't come out pure. Unless you actually test you are assuming. Frankly, people simply perform toxicity tests by drinking stuff. You live? "Pure enough". But impurities don't make people ill on the first dose. Even chemicals in our food aren't instant death.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
Who says we don't test our water? Tests prove that filtered, uncontaminated water is the purist. Depends on the impurities. Some impurities at a high enough dose are fatal. Do your homework then come back with numbers and we will listen.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,301 times
Quote:
Fact is that there's an inference being made. The water coming out of your tap could be polluted. There is a practice of publishing tests of that water. To my knowledge, nobody tests spring water, so it could be anything. You're really just making a bet.[/url]

If you actually look at the web site and read the comments section for a particular spring, you'd find that the local populace is usually generous with advice. Those that don't take water for testing, will say something like: "…have been getting 45 gallons there every 6 weeks for over 10 years" or "Just got the water test back – PH=6.21, Hardness=57 mg/L Total Dissolved Solids=30.9 mg/L, no heavy metals, no PCB’s, DDE, DDT, no Pesticides, no VOC’s."

Those quotes are taken from actual comments at 2 random springs I clicked on. That's the purpose of the project. It's a global effort to provide people with information about fresh water springs. Good or Bad

sheesh..........ya try to throw something out there for general edification and what happens?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,246 times
Thanks for posting!

Ignore the rest...there's too many people on the Green Living forum who just want to argue and complain. I'd love to go visit one of these springs...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
... and that includes any water from the municipal water source. 99.9 pure?
That's probably the least likely source of water contaminated with harmful bacteria becsue they add chlorine. Where I live the public water systems were built 100 years ago, they have many dams at higher elevations with vast tracts of land surrounding them. When I was a kid they had giardia outbreak, for months you weren't supposed to drink the water. They installed chlorine systems. The only trouble with these public sytems it wat happens to it between the treatment facility and before it get to the tap.

Even smaller systems are now required to do this, my Uncle lives on place that has a private system that serves about 50 households. They made them install it and the residents were not too happy.

Me personally I have private well and you'll have to pry that glass of cold water from my dead hands. I recently got back down in town and what a difference, when you live with that for years you get accustomed to the chlorine.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Just want to add. Municipal water is not "free". The treatment is paid for by local taxes. We just don't get any special charge for drinking it. Of all the water, available, it probably is the most trustworthy. Anything else is just taking chances. And if you do test before you drink, hey, not free anymore. Now here's a fact maybe not mentioned. For most of human history, people drank free water only. The result is that their immune systems could react to microbes and destroy them. Now that we mostly drink purified water, we probably have made ourselves more vulnerable to all sorts of sickness.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Just want to add. Municipal water is not "free".
That depends on where you are at, the water system that serves the area near me is privately owned and I'm talking about hundreds of thousands of customers. You pay per gallon but those rates are controlled by the state.

I'm at a high elevation with no industry, no agriculture and very little development. My water comes from my own private well 4 hundred feet below ground, when I fill a glass up from the tap it forms condensation, jealous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living