Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times

Advertisements

Open D

One question, if as you say fluoride is such a wonderful success then why is the entire population forced to drink it? If, as you say, fluoride prevents tooth decay then why isn't it applied to teeth alone? Instead this waste product poison is added to people's drinking water without their knowledge under the guise that swishing a toxic chemical past your teeth as it is swallowed will somehow prevent tooth decay.
That is like expecting to be healed by standing outside the doctor's office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
One question, if as you say fluoride is such a wonderful success then why is the entire population forced to drink it?
Because it IS a wonderful success. Improved dental health across the whole spectrum of our society is very much a public health issue. Poor dental health contributes to poor overall health, and is very expensive to treat compared to the costs of getting good preventative dental care in the first place. Since the addition of fluoride to drinking water is so effective at reducing cavities, and is so inexpensive - less than a dollar a year per person - most American cities have adopted the practice, starting with Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1945.

Quote:
If, as you say, fluoride prevents tooth decay then why isn't it applied to teeth alone?
There is no "if" to it, none at all. Extensive research has proven that fluoride added to drinking water reduces the incidence of cavities, and reduces the severity of cavities when they do get established, by remineralizing the area after bacterial action demineralizes it. This was first observed in areas of the country where fluorides are naturally high in the local well water, such as parts of Texas, and Boulder, Colorado. Because so many people simply don't have access to good dental care, or are not well educated, or can't afford it, public health advocates campaigned to add it to municipal water supplies so that all could benefit, regardless of status or income. In other parts of the world, where water supplies are not as centralized, fluoride may alternatively be delivered by adding it to table salt, to milk, and of course to toothpaste. But adding it to drinking water is more effective and uniform.

Quote:
Instead this waste product poison is added to people's drinking water without their knowledge under the guise that swishing a toxic chemical past your teeth as it is swallowed will somehow prevent tooth decay.
There are several misunderstandings within this single sentence.

Waste product? First, basic chemistry... the source of a valuable chemical is immaterial once impurities have been removed. For example, a number of valuable pharmaceuticals can be derived from cow urine, and once purified, you'd never know their source.

Poison? Only in vastly larger quantities than any human being could conceivable get through drinking water. Many valuable drugs and other chemicals can be poison in very large doses, but are quite valuable in small doses.

Without their knowledge? Fluoridation of public water has not only been open public knowledge for 68 years, it has been openly discussed and debated for that entire time.

Under the guise? There is no guise. It is all completely out in the open and under intense public scrutiny.

Swishing a toxic chemical past your teeth? Again, it's not toxic in the tiny amounts used, and is tasteless and odorless, and is safe to drink, to cook with, to drink... and even to swish with... all of which contribute to the body's uptake.

Somehow prevent? There is no "somehow." It's scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be effective.

Quote:
That is like expecting to be healed by standing outside the doctor's office.
That's a false analogy. What it is really like is having a little automatic dental care every day, at home, without even having to think about it.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-04-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I agree with the last statement, but minerals can be stripped from the body by demineralized water, most notably by rainwater or distilled water, and needs be replaced by supplements.

Like most of my neighbors, I get my water from rainwater catchment. It's not unusual for people living in this area for a long time to find that a routine blood test at a routine physical exam turns up mineral deficiencies.

This is one of those areas where competing theories duel hot and heavy, but where personal experience ultimately prevails.
Exactly. While you don't need the minerals found in tap water for health given a balanced diet, distilled water can leech the minerals out of your body you get from the food. This is very easy to see for yourself if you wash your car with "hard" water and let it air dry. You get water spots which comes from the minerals in the water. Then take distilled water and rinse it and the water spots will dissolve.

Distilled water can and does dissolve the minerals and can flush them from your body. So here we are "going" green and then perhaps resorting to taking supplements. How do those supplements get to your home? Someone using gasoline or diesel to transport them. Kind of breaks that green cycle doesn't it?

That said, if water were to become an issue of paramount importance for living, having the ability to distill water is a very good thing to have. Like anything that can dissolve others, there is a saturation limit to the amount of minerals distilled water can dissolve by volume. So you manage your diet to include those foods that are richer in the minerals you need. That doesn't mean a radical change though, just some adjustments.

We used to drink whole milk as children because it contributed to good health. Nowadays, kids see whole milk as drinking poison because while their parents drag them into fast food places, let them drink sodas all day, they scream like crazy if someone pours a glass of whole milk for the child.

Once you decide to separate drinking water from other uses, you'll be surprised at how little water you need for good health.

Nestle is the world's biggest bottled water bigot and makes Coke a Cola look like amateurs. You see people swigging bottled water all day long, do they look healthier to you?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 AM

(Open D,

Wow, you are impressive. If I didn't know better I would think you were in the business of selling fertilizer waste products).

One major fact remains and that is that the public is being medicated without their knowledge or consent. By law no man, woman, or child can receive any medication without their informed consent. Yet municipalities continue to lace a hazardous waste chemicals from the fertilizer industry under the guise of treating our teeth. That is medicating without informed consent. It is the same thing as putting high blood pressure medication, heart medications, birth control meds in the water without notification then stating it is good for everyone's health.

Secondly, there is no medication that any sane doctor would or could prescribe for the masses. Yet that is exactly the case with fluoridation. It is titrated into our drinking water with no regard of dosage. so that an infant is getting the same dose as a 300 pound individual. From birth to death, baby to adult, 10 pounds to 300 pounds, no matter what maladies, regardless of other medications, everyone gets the same amount of an unannounced fluoride.

A new mother's breast milk has almost no measurable amount of fluorides even though she must drink the same fluoridated water that is available. Isn't it amazing that the new mother's body prevents her child from fluoride poisoning by absorbing it herself? After breast feeding that same mother will unknowingly give her baby fluoridated water because she has no choice. What about the babies who are not breast fed?

The truth is that any one can have their child's teeth treated with fluoride if they believe it is helpful. This begs the question; then why are we all forced to drink these fluorides without our knowledge? There is now evidence that that fluoridation has led to a surge in hypothyroidism and other auto-immune diseases, effects children's IQ's, and caused dementia in older adults. Why are people who wear dentures forced to drink the fluoridated water?

Of course the water industry could used pharmaceutical grade fluorides but instead choose to use hydrofluorosilicic acid and sodium fluorosilicate. These are both toxic chemicals so toxic in fact that even China cannot dump them. However, it is just fine to put it in the water of Americans.

Fluoride Action Network | Fluoridation Chemicals

Then there is the warning label on toothpaste which is using sodium fluoride said to be the safest and most effective fluoride compound.
''Warning: Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.''

Toothpaste a Hazard? Just Ask the F.D.A. - NYTimes.com

No matter if you think fluorides are a good thing or a bad thing you must agree that all Americans should have the right to choose. If you believe that fluoride treatment benefits you and your children then you should have the right, and you do, to go to a dentist's office and have it done. However, there are a multitude of Americans who do not want forced fluoridation. The best way to resolve this is to stop water fluoridation in the US and provide government subsidies for those who want this dental treatment.

Back to distillers, I have learned that there is one company who imports a distillers that seems to have a better reputation and history. I will order a home water distiller from them. It is warranted for one year and if I get a year I will be satisfied. BTW, I also have a filtration system and upon checking with the makers I learned that my water filtration system takes out 40-60% of all fluorides.
The argument over minerals comes down to individual choice. If one feels that distillation removes all minerals and that is not healthy one can easily distill the water and add a few drops of a mineral additive knowing that additive is what our bodies actually need and is not sediment the water company could not remove.

Let's try to keep America free.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
(Open D,

Wow, you are impressive. If I didn't know better I would think you were in the business of selling fertilizer waste products).
That's a lame way to dismiss an opposing view. I'm an independent thinker who knows how to read scientific reports. And I truly hate the pseudo-science that drives most of these "anti" movements.

Quote:
One major fact remains and that is that the public is being medicated without their knowledge or consent.
That statement is no more true now than it was the last time you said it. Fluoridation is no secret at all. It's out, it's public knowledge, it's been around for nearly 70 years in some places, and most communities have public meetings at which this is discussed. There have even been local referendums on the topic. To not know about fluoridation one has to be pretty committed to being uninformed.

Quote:
Yet municipalities continue to lace a hazardous waste chemicals from the fertilizer industry under the guise of treating our teeth.
You're just repeating the same misinformation. There is no "guise," it's a proven effective way to improve community health by reducing dental cavities. This is especially important among the poor, where people's bad health can wind up being expensive to the community, so the 99 cents a year average cost per person is an extremely prudent investment in public health, in the same way that adding chlorine to the water to prevent waterborne infectious diseases is prudent. And they're not using toxic waste, they're using a purified chemical. The source is irrelevant, if you understand chemistry.

Quote:
There is now evidence that that fluoridation has led to a surge in hypothyroidism and other auto-immune diseases, effects children's IQ's, and caused dementia in older adults. Why are people who wear dentures forced to drink the fluoridated water?
There are claims, yes, mostly based on anecdotal evidence. That's not the same as scientific proof. Many of these single person reports aren't even statistically valid, but they are wildly successful in selling people books and DVDs and water distillers, etc. To really understand what is going on you need large scale epidemiological studies, which is what the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) provides.

Quote:
Of course the water industry could used pharmaceutical grade fluorides but instead choose to use hydrofluorosilicic acid and sodium fluorosilicate. These are both toxic chemicals so toxic in fact that even China cannot dump them. However, it is just fine to put it in the water of Americans.
Repeating the same claim again doesn't make it less false.

Quote:
Then there is the warning label on toothpaste which is using sodium fluoride said to be the safest and most effective fluoride compound.
''Warning: Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.''
Anyone who has ever had a toddler eat a tube of toothpaste understands the need for this one. Besides, the bigger problem is that if swallowed, all that toothpaste can cause intestinal blockage in small children.

Quote:
Back to distillers, I have learned that there is one company who imports a distillers that seems to have a better reputation and history. I will order a home water distiller from them. It is warranted for one year and if I get a year I will be satisfied. BTW, I also have a filtration system and upon checking with the makers I learned that my water filtration system takes out 40-60% of all fluorides.
The biggest weakness of distillers, besides being wasteful of energy and heating up the room, is that they are ineffective at removing organics with boiling points similar to water, such as benzene and toluene, so if you have those in your water you will need to add a carbon filter.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Hi folks,

I got my new water distiller the other day and I was very happy with my purchase and the product. I won't mention the seller as it is not my goal to push one over the other. There was a lot of controversy on the web about negative water distiller purchases that had me quite skeptical. As I believed a water distiller was essential I made my decision and placed my order over the phone. I spoke with a polite and knowledgeable representative who took her time and answered my questions to my satisfaction. I also got free shipping. (A nice bonus). Three days later I got my new water distiller. I was well packaged and arrived with no damage. I unpacked it, read the brief instructions and the following day distilled my first water. I used water from my filtered tap and I was surprised to see very little residue remaining after the distillation. However, I felt good knowing there was no more poison fluorides in my drinking water. The second batch I used water from the regular city water tap. What a difference! I could not believe all that residue was in that water.
I usually drink from my filtered water tap and I am used to the taste of that water. I was surprise to see such little residue in my distiller after distilling that water. That proves that the claims of the water filter company was factual. I found little difference in the taste of my filtered water and my distilled filtered water.
I am very happy with my purchase and am happy with the taste of the distilled water. The best part; no more fluorides.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 AM

132 posts, read 159,508 times
how about "re-mineralising" distilled water? I seem to remember seeing filter with elaborate rock layers supposedly designed for that purpose.

Last edited by DBIF; 10-13-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
how about "re-mineralising" distilled water? I seem to remember seeing filter with elaborate rock layers supposedly designed for that purpose.
Its easief just to drink tap water

Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM

DBIF

If you don't feel you are getting enough minerals from your food you can always add a half teaspoon of Himalayan Rock Salt or another mineral supplement. You are right about those rocks in filters they are whole Himalayan rock salt crystals.
The truth is we get most of our mineral needs from foods and not water.

Sure, it is easier to drink tap water as DCforever posts. However, if you could see what my distiller left behind after distilling tap water you would be convinced you never want to drink tap water again. Secondly, tap water contains the poisonous fluoride compounds.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
DBIF

Sure, it is easier to drink tap water as DCforever posts. However, if you could see what my distiller left behind after distilling tap water you would be convinced you never want to drink tap water again. Secondly, tap water contains the poisonous fluoride compounds.
In Washington DC our water has been analyzed to death due to old lead pipes. I know what is in my water, I know what is in bottled water, and I know what is in distilled water. Educated, rational people understand that in most municipalities tap water is the best choice. Those who want to drink distilled or bottled water are free to do so, but arguing that there are health benefits to it is silliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living