Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ah, yes, another one of our great ideas that was going to make the world SO much better.

We just never learn about the unintended consequences of our actions to other creatures, always berating those in the past for their unintended consequences while blithely assuming that OUR great ideas, because WE are so much smarter, will NEVER have unintended consequences - and throwing hissy fits of denial if anyone points them out to us, again just like those before us.

I'm far from anti-technology; I'm just against deliberately blinding oneself to the possibility that something one likes the idea of might have consequences.
Nothing like contributing to this thread right horselady?

What does your rant have to do with the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility and thirty four dead birds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,306,860 times
I'm ok with the consequences.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:12 AM

542 posts, read 693,600 times
I hadn't heard about this before! It reminds of the case of the hotel guest in Las Vegas who got burned because the windows of the Mandalay Bay acted to focus the sun on a particular spot on the pool deck. As for the birds, I knew there was a problem with wind turbines, and also power lines. Hopefully there will be an easy solution. I know airports use devices to try to keep birds out of the area.

This is a bit tangential, so I apologize, but I believe it was in the book The World Without Us - about what would happen to human buildings if we disappeared - that I read that an incredible number of birds are killed by impacts with buildings every year. It was something in the hundreds of millions. It puts this solar energy problem in perspective, but I'd still like the effect to be minimized. We have a responsibility.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I hadn't heard about this before! It reminds of the case of the hotel guest in Las Vegas who got burned because the windows of the Mandalay Bay acted to focus the sun on a particular spot on the pool deck. As for the birds, I knew there was a problem with wind turbines, and also power lines. Hopefully there will be an easy solution. I know airports use devices to try to keep birds out of the area.

This is a bit tangential, so I apologize, but I believe it was in the book The World Without Us - about what would happen to human buildings if we disappeared - that I read that an incredible number of birds are killed by impacts with buildings every year. It was something in the hundreds of millions. It puts this solar energy problem in perspective, but I'd still like the effect to be minimized. We have a responsibility.
Referring to the 34 (thirty-four) birds that were found dead and charred it has not been proven that the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility caused the demise of these 34 (thirty-four) birds.

Nothing like jumping the gun and placing blame when nothing has been found to prove the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility was at fault...

Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 AM

269 posts, read 784,907 times
Exxon and BP oil spills killed tens of thousands of birds, countless numbers of marine life, and did permanent damage to beaches affected.

Chernoble estimates come it at 985,000 people killed from cancer. Research on coal plants in China shows a direct correlation between air pollution and lung cancer which may be responsible for millions of deaths.

Then there's Fukushima, the Kingston Coal Ash Slurry Spill, the Kuwait Oil Fires, the Door To Hell, the Sidoargo Mud Flow, the Amoco Cadiz, the Great Smog of 52',etc.

Sorry about the 34 birds...but please name one major environmental disaster caused by a solar plant or a windfarm?

Last edited by alexanderaf; 11-24-2013 at 04:49 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 AM

759 posts, read 3,149,201 times
I thought one of the main purpose for the environmentalists was to save the animals, i.e. farmers in California denied water to "save" the delta smelt, the supposed "protection" of animals along the oil pipeline, etc. Now a lot of you are saying who cares if hundreds of birds fry from solar panels, or eagles die due to the wind turbines.

Most people want to use fossil and explore new technologies, we also don't want the EPA controlling our lives.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,460,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Referring to the 34 (thirty-four) birds that were found dead and charred it has not been proven that the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility caused the demise of these 34 (thirty-four) birds.

Nothing like jumping the gun and placing blame when nothing has been found to prove the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility was at fault...
I'm sure that most of these birds were just flying too fast and their feathers simply singed from all of the heat caused by the excessive friction! So it was probably self-immolation. Yeah, that's the ticket.

What's even more foolish, though, is people who keep clamoring that we kill millions of birds this way, and millions of birds that way, so killing a lesser number of birds another way can't be all bad. Of course, it's not the individual incidents which are the big problem, it's the cumulative impacts.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,835,756 times
Birds would die near the tower heads not near the mirrors.

The number is simply negligible. Any tall structure kills some birds. Get a couple a year at my house.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM

269 posts, read 784,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I thought one of the main purpose for the environmentalists was to save the animals, i.e. farmers in California denied water to "save" the delta smelt, the supposed "protection" of animals along the oil pipeline, etc. Now a lot of you are saying who cares if hundreds of birds fry from solar panels, or eagles die due to the wind turbines.

Most people want to use fossil and explore new technologies, we also don't want the EPA controlling our lives.
When did the EPA come into this argument? The post was about 34 dead birds found near a solar plant, which I guess is "hundreds" now. Does that mean we should declare solar a failure and stick to oil? Does introducing a new solar plant mean that the EPA wants to keep most people from using fossil fuel??? Does a solar plant not count as people wanting to use new technology?

Last edited by alexanderaf; 11-24-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
That's funny, in THIS thread only 34 (thirty-four) birds were found singed and dead. There is no mention of "hundreds of birds" nor is there any mention of eagles...

What is so frigging hard addressing the OP and keep the whiny cry-baby stuff for a thread you start...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living