Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Nothing else comes close to it in terms of practicality.
If diesel-hybrids do catch on with the public, all the better, I say. The more "green," "greener," and "greenest" technology cars on the road the better, as far as I'm concerned. I can see each finding its own market niche because of their differing characteristics.

But of course the hydrogen power cars we're discussing here in this thread, and the EVs being discussed in another thread will continue to evolve and improve and garner expanding awareness and market share, because they are true zero emission vehicles.

Since you are a fan of diesel-hybrids I suggest you start a thread on that topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
There's all sorts of technology in the labs for improving lithium batteries -- ways to make them less explosive, ways to maintain the crystalline structure and thus last longer, order-of-magnitude density increases, faster charging. It seems like every week there's a hopeful article about some new advance.

I think it's just a matter of time before batteries win. When you can go 1000 miles on a 10-minute charge, why would you want hydrogen or any other fuel for that matter? Maybe as a supplement so you don't get stranded out in the desert without your solar recharger kit

Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
There's all sorts of technology in the labs for improving lithium batteries -- ways to make them less explosive, ways to maintain the crystalline structure and thus last longer, order-of-magnitude density increases, faster charging. It seems like every week there's a hopeful article about some new advance.

I think it's just a matter of time before batteries win. When you can go 1000 miles on a 10-minute charge, why would you want hydrogen or any other fuel for that matter? Maybe as a supplement so you don't get stranded out in the desert without your solar recharger kit
This thread is dealing with FACTS concerning fuel cell vehicles rather than the FANTASY of yet-to-be developed EV vehicles...

Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This thread is dealing with FACTS concerning fuel cell vehicles rather than the FANTASY of yet-to-be developed EV vehicles...
Ok; I can buy at least 3 different makes of EV cars today. Where do I go to buy my fuel cell vehicle? And please, don't tell me I have to go to California; that's not gonna happen.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
IF such a battery is developed and brought to market it will be very interesting indeed, but at the moment it does not exist. Meanwhile Honda has already had hydrogen powered cars on the streets in Southern California for more than 6 years. Now Toyota has announced plans for selling production hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2015, Honda and Hyundai have similar plans, while Ford, Daimler, Nissan-Renault, Land Rover and others are not far behind them.

Obviously it is very much a horse race at this point in time. Lots of different new technologies are emerging, but even the car manufacturers can't pick a clear winner.

“Five years on, we don’t think there’ll be any dominant technology but various different green technologies,†said Satoshi Ogiso, a managing officer at Toyota. “For Toyota, we try to be prepared for any kind of demand that’s expected to arise.â€

I think that's the best anyone can say right now.

Quote:
Ok; I can buy at least 3 different makes of EV cars today. Where do I go to buy my fuel cell vehicle? And please, don't tell me I have to go to California; that's not gonna happen.
Try to keep in mind that in the US almost anything to do with cars that is going to happen will happen in California first. It's the largest market for cars, accounting for 10% of the entire new car sales for the country. Californians, on average, spend large amounts of time in their cars, see their cars as an expression of personal status, and are willing to spend money on their "car image." Driving "green" is a valid "coolness" factor, second only to driving "expensive." They also have terrible traffic congestion and air pollution issues, and some of the toughest auto emissions laws anywhere.

That's why Toyota's announcement this week, keyed to the big Tokyo and LA Auto Shows, that they will bring production hydrogen fuel cell cars to market in 2015 is such a big deal, because of the strong leadership position they have in relationship to the whole market. I predict it will energize (heh) all the other players.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
So because YOU don't like California that means fuel cell vehicles don't exist...

Let me repost EXACTLY what you said I and what I replied to:

Quote:
I think it's just a matter of time before batteries win. When you can go 1000 miles on a 10-minute charge
Can you buy an EV car with the technology you talk about above?

NO

You CAN purchase fuel cell vehicles today, and if you bother to read what other people have posted here fuel cell vehicles will be on sale in more states than just California in a month and a half...

Where can you purchase an EV vehicle that goes 1,000 miles and takes 10 minutes to recharge today (other than in a drug induced fantasy)??????

Last edited by plwhit; 11-20-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,452 times
Couple questions.

The Leaf & Tesla get about 33 KWH/100 miles. Any idea what a fuel cell car will get?

Making Hydrogen from natural gas do you first burn the NG to make electricity?
Then make hydrogen from electricity?

I understand the range and cold weather advantages of fuel cells over EV.
But what will be the cost difference to purchase?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Couple questions.

The Leaf & Tesla get about 33 KWH/100 miles. Any idea what a fuel cell car will get?

Making Hydrogen from natural gas do you first burn the NG to make electricity?
Then make hydrogen from electricity?

I understand the range and cold weather advantages of fuel cells over EV.
But what will be the cost difference to purchase?
Here ya go:

Fuel cell vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fuel Cell Vehicles

Hydrogen/Fuel Cells - US News and World Report

Toyota

Let me know if you require more....

Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lots of nice links but at a quick look none answer the question (??kwh/100 miles) which would allow a comparison to an EV. Saw something about equivelent of 70 mpg while the Leaf gets over 100 mpge.
Did mention the Toyota FC will be around $50k compared to $30?K for the Leaf. And everyone already has access to electricity.

So maybe 45% more fuel costs and 66% more purchase cost.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM

531 posts, read 758,970 times
Japanese Firm Demonstrates Car That Runs On Water

Japanese Firm Demonstrates Car That Runs On Water | CityNews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living