Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM

7,279 posts, read 10,996,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Perhaps. But keeping that warranty alive requires many routine maintenance stops over the first 100,000 miles. A good friend just had a $600+ "regular" service visit on a 3 year old car with maybe 45,000 miles on it.

I think EVs will prove to be exceptionally long lived, with only one moving part in the engine, and one in the transmission. Sure, all the usual brakes and wipers and stuff will be the same as a conventional car, and the battery is the unknown at this point, but the simplicity of the big pieces is likely to carry the day.

Fuel-cell cars are slightly more complicated than straight EVs, but still with far fewer moving parts than an ICE, and no reciprocating motion, so I think they'll also enjoy long lives with very little maintenance.
I have no doubt that you have friends, good friends or relatives that have come across every issue every thought about or experienced when it comes to "green" whatever but more and more cars require less and less maintenance.

EV cars don't require maintenance to maintain their warranties? The big ticket items that hit owners of modern cars are things that add up quickly, not engine maintenance or engine failures. The electronics, the climate controls, the accessories, that is what runs into serious money very quickly and all of that is also present on the EV or anything other vehicle.

Choosing wisely, anyone can buy a car, even an economy model and expect to do very little if any maintenance to the engine or transmission for many years.

Since EVs travel very little compared to gas or diesel engined cars, the efficiency in terms or durability is questionable. The car makers aren't going to give up the holy grail of revenue, service fees because EVs or fuel cell cars come out. They will have to make up the revenue somehow and that will come in as increased prices for "maintenance" on those cars. Like the fuel tax question, the more EVs and fuel cell cars penetrate the market the more creative government and the manufacturers will get at maintaining revenue. To expect otherwise and think all those maintenance dollars are just going to evaporate is naive.

The car makers and dealership franchises are going to let go of all the service fees? Good luck with that.

Do let us all know when they make an EV that doesn't have rotating parts. Electric motors turn, last I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:35 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,773,791 times
clean drinking water is pretty scarce, i wonder what type of water these cars will require? (if i missed this in the text i apologize)

Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
clean drinking water is pretty scarce, i wonder what type of water these cars will require? (if i missed this in the text i apologize)
Yes, reading is a powerful tool for understanding...

These hydrogen fuel-cell cars do not require any water to operate. They give off a small amount of water vapor as their only emission.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I have no doubt that you have friends, good friends or relatives that have come across every issue every thought about or experienced when it comes to "green" whatever but more and more cars require less and less maintenance.
Sure, but it is certainly reasonable to expect EV cars and their variations to require less maintenance than the ICE cars they will displace, because mechanically speaking, they are much simpler.

Quote:
EV cars don't require maintenance to maintain their warranties? The big ticket items that hit owners of modern cars are things that add up quickly, not engine maintenance or engine failures. The electronics, the climate controls, the accessories, that is what runs into serious money very quickly and all of that is also present on the EV or anything other vehicle.
Of course, and on those items I don't expect to see a lot of difference between the two, with the one exception being the previously mentioned brake life, which has been shown to be vastly better on EVs over ICEs.

Quote:
Choosing wisely, anyone can buy a car, even an economy model and expect to do very little if any maintenance to the engine or transmission for many years.
True, and 100,000 miles in an ICE vehicle is not that big a deal today, and a 7 year old vehicle can still be fairly decent. I suspect that with EVs we are likely to be talking in terms of 500,000 miles and 25 year old cars being serviceable. I can foresee a resurgence of coach builders who can put a whole new shell on your electric drivetrain to renew it stylistically and give you fresh upholstery. Million mile vehicles with original motors will not be uncommon.

Quote:
Since EVs travel very little compared to gas or diesel engined cars, the efficiency in terms or durability is questionable.
I believe second generation EVs will obsolete this comment.

Quote:
The car makers aren't going to give up the holy grail of revenue, service fees because EVs or fuel cell cars come out. They will have to make up the revenue somehow and that will come in as increased prices for "maintenance" on those cars.
That assumes that the industry will not change as new players come into dominance, when history dictates the reverse to be true.

As the most recent example of how disruptive a new manufacturer can be, with new values and standards, Tesla just modified their warranty retroactively to cover damage from battery fires for all their cars, including the ones already damaged. I can't imagine an old-school car maker doing that, but for Elon Musk, it was an "of course!"

Quote:
Like the fuel tax question, the more EVs and fuel cell cars penetrate the market the more creative government and the manufacturers will get at maintaining revenue. To expect otherwise and think all those maintenance dollars are just going to evaporate is naive.
To expect this from everyone is cynical. Times do change, as do values, and what is acceptable to consumers changes along with it.

Quote:
The car makers and dealership franchises are going to let go of all the service fees? Good luck with that.
What is predictable is that "old school" car manufacturers that can't change will continue to sicken and die, and companies with disruptive technologies and business methodologies will displace them.

Quote:
Do let us all know when they make an EV that doesn't have rotating parts. Electric motors turn, last I heard.
Straw man argument... nobody said EVs don't have a moving rotor.

But truth be told, that single rotating part replaces over 100 moving parts, many of them reciprocating, in a conventional ICE, and all other things being equal, the complexity of multiple moving parts confers a complexity and higher frequency of maintenance with it. And that costs.

Plus, just look at the design simplicity conferred using electric motors. The Tesla S uses a motor the size of a watermelon, with a single moving part, and is paired with a similarly simple transmission, with but a single gear. Of COURSE it will be simpler to maintain.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,103,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
It numbs my mind, probably more than ANYTHING else, that hydrogen technology lags behind so far. Just shows the insidious power of BIG OIL and it's industrial allies. By now we should be running on WATER through a series of energy transformation. Instead we are right here giving props to the Priuis P.O.S.

WE are truly " the worst generation."
Oil and gas aren't responsible for hydrogen development. Certainly this administration has supported electric over it.But that doesn't stop auto makers and investors as with any really successful startup. This isn't even anything but a concept and can be delayed or fail quickly like so many othersPlus it has a huge hurtle in infrastructure to support it even more than pure electric.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:11 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,117,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Gasoline was popularized because it is relatively easy to build an engine to use it and there is no intermediate conversion necessary to obtain energy from it. The engine and gasoline are easily incorporated into a self contained unit that can be replenished with a transportable fuel.
The reason gasoline continues to dominate as a fuel for personal transportation is because in terms of cost, we have nothing that provides more bang for the buck. It is still very cheap, readily available and been in wide acceptance for over 100 years now. If we had any alternative that even remotely compared, we'd already be using it.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:21 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,029,451 times
Electricity is substantially cheaper than gasoline and has a much smaller carbon footprint. Gasoline is 20th century technology.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:52 PM

17,687 posts, read 17,907,717 times
General Motors did this about ten years ago.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:10 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Obs2tAq57j8
This video was dated in 2007. These vehicles came out AFTER the GM Hy Wire concept car.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:22 PM

General Motors Hy-wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their first hydrogen powered concept car was in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living