Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The battery bank swap for Tesla's is a joke. It isn't practical and won't be either. Tesla owner 1,2 and 3 get a swap, owner 4 doesn't and has to sit there.
Another strawman fallacy. That seems to be a speciality of yours.

Quote:
As for brand leader and so on, a large auto dealer (not the factory mind you) sells more cars in a month than Tesla sells in a year. What Tesla sells in a year doesn't even register in comparison to the number of cars sold just in the USA, for one month.
So what? It's a brand new brand, and a brand new segment. Growth from nil takes time.

What I find most impressive is that that have already outdone other more established brands who are trying to compete for the same market.

Quote:
Cross country in a Tesla? I can be done but walking is also possible.
Again, so what? Not everyone needs, or even wants, cross country capability.

Quote:
The 200 mile range is rarely achieved if you drive a Tesla at night, in hot or cold weather, basically it is a fair weather car only...
Reductio ad absurdum fallacy. People who actually own and drive the car do not share these concerns. They mostly just can't stop talking about how much they love their cars.

Quote:
and what no one who is a proponent of them ever want to talk about is the fact that spending 70+k (more like 100k) for a commuter car isn't saving resources, it is wasting them.
There's an easy way for consumers to solve this conundrum for themselves... buy the car that makes sense for you. Don't buy the one that doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
still a waste of money if you ask me. i'll agree that it's a beautifull car and all. but the resources are just not there for it yet not all places have charging stations and they would have to put charging stations across the country for people that like to travel. but they will be adding more charging stations i'm sure.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Obviously you have not paid attention to the specifics. The Tesla S is a headturningly gorgeous real car, even at the entry $70K level, and it out accelerates a Porsche, but with a lot less noise. It's a freakin' awesome ride. That's why it is such a game changer.

Not if the powerplant is hydro, or solar, or wind, or geothermal... and even if the power comes from a nasty ol' fossil fuel power plant, the emissions are still a fraction of what they would be if those fuels were being burned in the vehicle AND they are in a different geographical location AND more effective remediations are available on an industrial scale than can ever be applied on an "up close and personal basis."

I sincerely doubt it. The battery materials are highly recyclable. And even when it comes time to exchange a battery, the replacement only takes 90 seconds at a Tesla facility.
So if you are live 150 miles away and it dies and no charging stations or range to get to the tesla dealer.

Then you are going to need a fossil fuel tow truck to tow it to the tesla dealer and drop it off and the drain the battery going back on the 150 mile trip home.

A plug in Hybrid is able to be the best of both worlds and the fact that they do not start at $70K and top out at $120K heck since I am not really a Prius fan I would see my self buying a Ford fusion plug in Hybrid since it also has nice styling and replacement parts are cheap since it shares the same interior and exterior parts as the gas powered version and any Ford dealer can service it.

The Fusion, Volt and Prius are cheaper easier to fix and maintain have more buyers and automotive communities to help with issues and common questions and costs 1/3 of the Tesla S and you can get parts from aftermarket vendors and at local auto parts stores.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Also Tesla having a SUV is kind of funny with the VW Toureg TDI and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVcjl3S90k
Love to see the Head to Head with these two with a Telsa in also and see how it does.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 PM

As for the Tesla S the BMW I8 is coming to compete and BMW tends to have a lot of experience of turning out great cars that will be difficult for tesla to compete with it IMO

The all-new BMW i8 Full Review - YouTube

Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
As for the Tesla S the BMW I8 is coming to compete and BMW tends to have a lot of experience of turning out great cars that will be difficult for tesla to compete with it IMO
[
Quote:
The revolutionary BMW i8 will have a starting price of $135,925 in the US.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GtFoUu3Av2kH3w
'Nuff said.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
So if you are live 150 miles away and it dies and no charging stations or range to get to the tesla dealer.

Then you are going to need a fossil fuel tow truck to tow it to the tesla dealer and drop it off and the drain the battery going back on the 150 mile trip home.
Nope. You can also charge them at any standard outlet. It's just slower than a high power charger.

Quote:
The Fusion, Volt and Prius are cheaper easier to fix and maintain have more buyers and automotive communities to help with issues and common questions and costs 1/3 of the Tesla S and you can get parts from aftermarket vendors and at local auto parts stores.
Sorry, did you not realize the topic is the $40K Tesla E?

How can anyone not know that any car with an ICE engine in it is inherently far more complicated mechanically than an EV motor. The engine alone has over 100 parts more than an EV, and more parts translates to more complexity and more maintenance over time. Especially when you have reciprocating parts vs the single moving part, the rotor, in the Tesla. There's nothing to wear out in a modern brushless electric motor except the bearings. Oh, and there's only a single moving gear in the transmission and no clutch. Cuts wayyyyyyy down on transmission work.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Car names that are vowels are not as cool. The S or the X… Those sound cool.

E? That doesn't sound nearly as cool.
Joking, right?

Jaguar E-Type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Personally, I'd like to see a Tesla E, the more the merrier when it comes to BEV and EREVs. It keeps the competition around and going. FWIW, we have a Chevy Volt. In our hot and humid environment we get about a 47 mile range on electricity. Our daily commute/routine we use ZERO fuel. The only time we put fuel in it, is when we went on a weekend 600 mile roundtrip. A trip I could NOT have done in a Tesla. I would like to see Tesla have some sort of generator in their cars. Imagine a 200-300 mile range EV with a generator. That way I could use it as a daily driver and for trips. This is why we went with the Volt. Plus, if we lose power or it doesn't charge, we can still drive to work. And no range anxiety.

BTW, Tesla has caused GM to enter into an EV war. And you know who wins - Us consumers.

Overall I think it is a smart move for Tesla to enter into the more affordable vehicle range, it is what they need to be able to expand their operations. You can't survive on just being a luxury, niche' vehicle market where your target audience to begin with is small. Even Porsche has had to expand to stay in the black - with SUVs and 4-Door Sedans. Believe it or not, most car companies need us little guys to keep them afloat. It has to be difficult to put up supercharging stations all over the US and stay profitable with relatively so few cars on the road.

I do believe that some sort of EV is the future. Hybrid non-plug-in or plug-in - it is probably one of the only current, viable ways to meet new CAFE standards too.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
What I find most impressive is that that have already outdone other more established brands who are trying to compete for the same market.
Yep. And THE market is California: the home of the long commute. That's why the longer range of the Tesla is so desirable. No other all-electric comes close. With so many car consumers there, a car that sells well in California is considered a "success," period. Even Ford thinks so:

Detroit automakers aim at rebound in California - NBC News.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living