Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times

Advertisements

MISO
Generating capacity 129,341 MW
Peak Load Obligation, 98,593 MW (2013)

Doesn't look like the lights will go out.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,739,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
MISO
Generating capacity 129,341 MW
Peak Load Obligation, 98,593 MW (2013)

Doesn't look like the lights will go out.
forecast is for 2015....People won't have plants built in time and the ones we do will make money hand over fist and it won't be on the wind......

Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Not that much wind in MISO. The ones there will be making money just like everybody else.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,466,004 times
Quote:
14 eagles became "about 500" in the retelling.
And coal burning power plant kills way more birds then a wind farm ever would.

There are new wind turbines that are being designed that will not kill a healthy bird. Dissections of the dead birds showed most of the ones killed by the wind turbines were sick ones. The ones killed by pollution, other structures suck as skyscrapers were healthy.

As for jolting the electric grid maybe if we didn't have a outdated electric grid that was falling to pieces and was prone to brownouts then that wouldn't happen.

In spain the windfarms there on a windy day can generate more electricity then nine nuclear power plants and their electricity grid isn't shorting out due to that. The cost of building that wind farm network was a fraction of the cost to build nine nuclear power plants.

As research goes on Solar and Wind power is getting more efficient and producing more power. Nuclear on the other hand hasn't made any gains in 50 years and is still the most expensive, dangerous way to boil water in human history.

Last edited by d from birmingham; 02-14-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Not that much wind in MISO. The ones there will be making money just like everybody else.
really?

http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=MN
Minnesota ranked fourth in the Nation in net electricity generation from wind energy in 2011; its net generation was 6.8 million megawatthours in 2011, an increase of 42 percent from 2010.

But surely as a energy industry professional you know wind capacity doesn't count for much in the market

Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
really?

http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=MN
Minnesota ranked fourth in the Nation in net electricity generation from wind energy in 2011; its net generation was 6.8 million megawatthours in 2011, an increase of 42 percent from 2010.

But surely as a energy industry professional you know wind capacity doesn't count for much in the market
A MWH is a commodity product. The load doesn't care how it's generated. MN has a decent wind resource so it should grow in it's market share, but it's under 3 thousand MW. Dwarfed by Texas' 12 thousand MW.

I suspect no new coal is coming on line in MN. There is time to get more wind on line by 2015.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
A MWH is a commodity product. The load doesn't care how it's generated. MN has a decent wind resource so it should grow in it's market share, but it's under 3 thousand MW. Dwarfed by Texas' 12 thousand MW.

I suspect no new coal is coming on line in MN. There is time to get more wind on line by 2015.

Here's the real day ahead wind forecast vs. real time wind generation in MISO. No matter how much wind is installed you can't guarantee it'll meet demand.....People are lining up to install intermediate load generation assets to maintain demand response. The more wind they put in the more non-renewable resources we put in to make sure we keep the lights on...

https://www.misoenergy.org/MarketsOp...dForecast.aspx

Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Here's the real day ahead wind forecast vs. real time wind generation in MISO. No matter how much wind is installed you can't guarantee it'll meet demand.....People are lining up to install intermediate load generation assets to maintain demand response. The more wind they put in the more non-renewable resources we put in to make sure we keep the lights on...

https://www.misoenergy.org/MarketsOp...dForecast.aspx
Here is some educational material for you on wind capacity credits

Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
I have had my 600 watt wind mill several years now, and not one bird has died due to it .
I feed the birds as well and have quite s selection of them .
I live in the wine country .
Birds hit trees and walls and windows as well should we take them all down ?
Birds fly through traffic deliberately and some get hit .
Being that birds do this deliberately, one cannot blame the mills.

The use of rare earth materials ,many of the electronics you are presently using have them and wouldn't work with out them.
Just keep that in mind.

As for the should ,mine does not make enough noise to make an issue of ,and basically the same design.

I am saddened that there are still people that are so unaware of real life ,and rely on the falsehoods of naysayers that have nothing invested, only ignorant complaint.
Please spend some time in the bush and learn about nature .

Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM

566 posts, read 1,108,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Ah, yes... American Tradition Institute... another fossil fuels booster and climate change denier, funded by The Koch Brothers and other anti-Green energy financial forces.

I suggest you reread... or possibly read for the first time... the special rules for this forum that are posted in the sticky at the top of the page. This is not the Politics & Other Controversies forum.

Let me refresh your memory:

Quote:
Negative externalities of large scale wind power These are some things I've heard over the years about wind power:
1. They produce very very loud subsonic waves that have been thought to cause migraines or even cancer.
2. They kill birds. I believe I heard something like 600 eagles in the state of Iowa.
3. They don't live as long as the manufacturer claims, at least before needing significant maintenance.
4. They require 500lbs of rare earth minerals. I though I heard rare earth mineral mining is some of the most environmentally damaging.
5. They jolt the grid. I beleive a electrical grid is supposed to have 99% consistency in power supply. Wind power is no way near that consistent. Therefore, it will be exponentially more expensive the more wind we have on our grid. If wind constitutes 25% of the entire grid, then it becomes ridiculously expensive due to the costs required to regulate the grid back to 99%.

Are they true or what's the whole story on them?
Ahhhh, every forum has one - the know it all that has the definitive reply/post. Dont you agree?

But anyway---

I replied to the OP. They--those awful wind farms are not delivering the energy that they were hyped about in MANY sites - No.

I feel perhaps YOU too, should read the special rules...they apply to you as well. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living