Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
My point is that the IBEW won't let a utility reduce the number of linemen they have regardless of the number of light bulbs on the system. As for the meter comment..We have selfreaders and we still have the same amount of people on staff as we had when we walked the line....In fact I can't think of a utility I deal with that reduced field staff in the last 10years Now many of the City staffs have been reduced but not the Utility guys.....Like me...
I feel this is an empty argument, because the truth is that neither you nor I nor anyone else really knows what is just around the corner, especially with so many states and cities facing daunting budget issues that transcend quick fixes. Without getting into a debate that probably belongs in Politics & Other Controversies rather than here, it should be clear that there has been a steady decline in both union power and union membership over recent decades, with no end in sight.

To put it in simple terms, never say never. It's already happening in some jurisdictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:40 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
Anyways - back to the topic at hand. Would be interesting to see and to see how this new tech is accepted. I like dusk to dawn sensors, not sure about "smart" lights YET.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not if you want your city to assume liability for accidents, crime etc....We'be already had this excersize. The insurance company said no....
Your city does not require automobiles to have their headlights on at night?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Your city does not require automobiles to have their headlights on at night?
Are you being obtuse? Of course they do If a public utility has a history of providing a service they must not arbitrarly withhold that service without assumeing liability of and for that service. Also of interest to some you who think this will be a cost saver for utilitys might be rules pertaining to the "in lieu of taxs" rules.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 PM

My town has no street lights.

It seems odd that after a town begins operating street lights, then they would become required to continue operating street lights.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 PM

When electric streetlights first began being installed, in the late 1890s, they were primarily considered to be for the safety of pedestrians. I think cars can pretty much take care of themselves in the dark.

Here on the Big Island streetlights are deployed very, very sparingly, in order to keep the night sky dark for the astronomical observatories perched atop Mauna Kea.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
When electric streetlights first began being installed, in the late 1890s, they were primarily considered to be for the safety of pedestrians. I think cars can pretty much take care of themselves in the dark.

Here on the Big Island streetlights are deployed very, very sparingly, in order to keep the night sky dark for the astronomical observatories perched atop Mauna Kea.
In our town [as well as most surrounding towns] people value having the night sky. Light pollution is hated.

Our nearest city is a significant glow on the horizon in it's direction.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 PM

542 posts, read 691,675 times
I hadn't heard of this. (Reminds me of the freezers at the new grocery section at my local Target). Amazing idea. Definitely a plus for night sky folks (such as myself; I love the stars).

Last year I read part of The end of night : searching for natural darkness in an age of artificial light by Paul Bogard. One thing he said was that streetlights actually make seeing at night worse, especially for older folks (something with how the light works with the aging eye). Maybe we don't even need streetlights.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,588 times
LEDs are great but OP's point about not having heat to keep ice off is good foresight.

(I'm not risking a comment on the Eye Bee Eee Dubya)

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
LEDs are great but OP's point about not having heat to keep ice off is good foresight.
I can see it being a problem in limited areas, using existing fixtures that were not designed for LEDs.

I don't see it being a widespread problem, or when using fixtures specifically designed for LEDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living