Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times

Advertisements

Here we have street lights installed and removed all the time. If you want one on your street and where "government" doesn't see a need for it - you can petition for one and then your electric bill goes to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:13 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,418,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not if you want your city to assume liability for accidents, crime etc....We'be already had this excersize. The insurance company said no....
why does having dimmer lights when no one is around make the city assume liability for accidents and crime?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You want to take on the IBEW You'll never reduce the labor cost for Utility Linemen who are responsible for maintaining street lights.....If the city does not have it's own Utility and Linemen then they are contracting outside line services typically from IBEW pole rats.....
my dad is IBEW, lots of towns are switching to LED bulbs. what are you going off about IBEW for?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I feel this is an empty argument, because the truth is that neither you nor I nor anyone else really knows what is just around the corner, especially with so many states and cities facing daunting budget issues that transcend quick fixes. Without getting into a debate that probably belongs in Politics & Other Controversies rather than here, it should be clear that there has been a steady decline in both union power and union membership over recent decades, with no end in sight.

To put it in simple terms, never say never. It's already happening in some jurisdictions.
my father's utility doesnt have the same workforce they used to, and the jobs they do have changed. I'm not sure what the other poster is really talking about. his utility also uses more contracted workers now, and more OT, vs hiring more employees.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Anyways - back to the topic at hand. Would be interesting to see and to see how this new tech is accepted. I like dusk to dawn sensors, not sure about "smart" lights YET.
i think this is cool because of where I live though. It's densely populated, so there are a lot of street lights in a 20 miles radius. this creates a lot of light pollution. yet, if you drove around at night, there's virtually no one on the streets. so if they were dimmed 40-60% for most of the time, I'd be able to see more stars, and our electricity consumption would be lower. I love it.

as for safety, the entire point is when someone is detected, it gets brighter. that's even a bigger alert than a light just being bright all of the time. I literally could tell every time someone walked by my house just by seeing the street light get brighter. i love it!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
why does having dimmer lights when no one is around make the city assume liability for accidents and crime?

Are you going to GUARENTEE they work every time and come on in time to prevent a rapist, robber, whatever from doing their thing?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think this is cool because of where I live though. It's densely populated, so there are a lot of street lights in a 20 miles radius. this creates a lot of light pollution. yet, if you drove around at night, there's virtually no one on the streets. so if they were dimmed 40-60% for most of the time, I'd be able to see more stars, and our electricity consumption would be lower. I love it.

as for safety, the entire point is when someone is detected, it gets brighter. that's even a bigger alert than a light just being bright all of the time. I literally could tell every time someone walked by my house just by seeing the street light get brighter. i love it!

What is the sensitive setting? will they come on for something as big as an adult or as small as a child? What about dogs, cats, squirrels? Do want the thing flashing on or off in your window....

Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
I don't know about this idea, driving with lights flickering on and off probably not a good for the eyes and may pose a safety hazard. Living next to one would be very annoying as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living